• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
As a slice-of-life moé fan, the series I'm looking forward to most this year is Yuru-Yuri, but I'll definitely be watching Nichijou this season. The surreal comedy reminds me a lot more of what it would be like if Cromartie High School included oddball girls instead of oddball delinquents than it does Azumanga Daioh, which was fairly straight slice-of-life, a handful of surreal dreams with "Chiyo's Papa" aside. Also, the comedy android aspect of the show reminds me vaguely of Doctor Slump. As for "Helvetica Standard" with the clueless Grim Reaper, that doesn't remind me of anything ever.

Nothing much else has captured my fancy this season. Maybe I'll watch that yaoi show with the manga artist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
Great. There's nothing more fun than sitting down to watch a show, only to find they don't stream to Canada. I don't know why but that's the last straw. I'm done dicking around with legit streams. If these companies believe Canada is so bloody unimportant that it's not even worth streaming to us then I see absolutely zero reason to care about supporting their streaming initiatives. Nor do I have any intention of buying a show on DVD that I don't actually want to own to compensate for my inability to use their streams. They've had their chance for my support and totally cocked it up. From now on I'm back to pirating what I want to see and buying the DVD if I want to own it.

*Crunchyroll is the exception of course
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
WHOA......Zac actually liked Nichijou? Now, I KNOW i'm going to stick with this show. If he truly believes this is the next Azumanga Daioh, and since AD is my favorite of all time, then there's no doubt I will be done with this show soon enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necrontry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
I would complain about there is no legal streams in Canada for Tiger & Bunny, but as there are already a number of complaints about that already what's the point.
It does look like a good show though.

I always hope they will finish Twelve Kingdoms on day. It'll never happen though. Everyone is too busy making shows like Dog Days.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote
I hadn't heard of Tiger and Bunny before, but if it's as good as all this, I guess I should check it out. It kind of seems like it'll be this season's Level E, though-- that is, SUPER AMAZING opening arc and "uuuh, whatever" lackluster follow-up arcs. But it's worth a try.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
Tiger and Bunny review made me want to try it... gee, no can do. VIZ = Hulu = USA only. Oh, on ANN too. Great. Wait, no, can't see it in Canada. Unh, why? If supposed to be licenced for R1, why does Canada keep getting left out (anything VIZ streams). Funimation's series are at least accessible on YouTube. Forced to buy DVDs to watch it (legally) at all is... unwelcome.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
I hadn't heard of Tiger and Bunny before, but if it's as good as all this, I guess I should check it out. It kind of seems like it'll be this season's Level E, though-- that is, SUPER AMAZING opening arc and "uuuh, whatever" lackluster follow-up arcs. But it's worth a try.

Why would you say that? Level E was based on an anthology series. While I may not share the same negative view of a lot of people on Level E's follow up arcs, I can at least understand why many people would dislike what occurs after episode 3, and given that the series is a bunch of short stories, it makes sense that there would be some rather big differences between arcs.

As far as I know, Tiger and Bunny is an original series, so it should be a bit more consistent in tone and cast than Level E was.

EDIT: Carlo's entry isn't loading for me properly.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
Thoughts so far:

Nichijou - Deliciously random slice-of-life served up by KyoAni. Watch.
Dog Days - Starts out fluffy, but so did Nanoha. I wouldn't be surprised to see this war turn serious. Tentative Watch.
Tiger & Bunny - I can see how it would appeal to others, but not me. The visuals are just too busy; I get a headache and can't focus on reading the subtitles. Pass.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
EDIT: Carlo's entry isn't loading for me properly.

Broken link.

Quote:

I'd really never give any studio a default trust, well, just Bones maybe. Episode 0 was very weak and not funny.

Just notice the PV for Gintama'. Are they doing it in 16:9 this time?
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Quote:

I'd really never give any studio a default trust, well, just Bones maybe. Episode 0 was very weak and not funny.

I dare say that Kyoani now has a plethora of experience in dealing with slice of life shows with a school setting.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
So? Slice-of-life isn't a favorite genre, so it comes down more to the concept than the production. And considering that it's slice-of-life.. they hardly think of anything innovative. It's always girls in school with a few weird elements added here and there. How about a slice of life where we have female demons who live in trees and have to go hunting for food? But no, it has to be the same thing because that's how K-ON! made a river of money.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
I am just going to say this Kyoto Animation represents everything wrong with anime today. They never branch out, they never actually try anything daring all they do is make shows about cute girls doing cute things and they make millions of dollars as a reward for not actually trying just because out of the 100,000 anime fans in Japan a large number of them are Kyoto Animation fans.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
So you haven't seen Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid I take it?

They tried branching out with Munto. And it didn't sell. They tried remaking Munto. It still didn't sell. Also, Clannad ~After Story~ is one of the very few anime that actually deal with marriage, kids, and family: particularly the transferal from high school kid to an adult with responsibilities. I respect them for tackling something that is so often ignored in anime.

I liked the first episode of Nichijou. Had a kind of Pani Poni Dash with Manabi Straight character design feel to it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am just going to say this Kyoto Animation represents everything wrong with anime today. They never branch out, they never actually try anything daring all they do is make shows about cute girls doing cute things and they make millions of dollars as a reward for not actually trying just because out of the 100,000 anime fans in Japan a large number of them are Kyoto Animation fans.

Did you actually watch the show

And Megiddo's right.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:03 am Reply with quote
Nichijo is nowhere near as funny as Azumanga, imho. It was ok, not as bad as Episode 0 (which was horrible), but 26 episodes of this? No thanks ^^;
I believe the next Azumanga can only be Yotsuba Very Happy But then, there's yet another show of the same genre this season (A Channel), so maybe this one will be funnier.

Megiddo wrote:
So you haven't seen Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid I take it? They tried branching out with Munto.

Come on, FMP TSR ... I agree it's good, but it's so old and the only anime of its kind they did, it doesn't represent the current Kyoto Animation at all.
With Munto they tried to do some original anime (no adaption), but it's not really all that different. It has the cutesy moe characters and romantic drama. I dunno if it didn't sell? For sure not as much as their adaptions, but they remade it as movie after all oO

But well, they're producing what the fans want, can't blame them. Nichijo is practically guaranteed to become a commercial success.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 47