• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Seas Entertainment - Your One-Stop Thread for 7S Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Man your list of publishers really puts a damper on what I can suggest most of all the titles I would want listed are from them.

Here is a small few that are not.

Alyosha! - Female Highschool aged child soldier, fish out of water tale who finds herself out of a job and has to adjust to normal life. While discovering the wonders of cake and anime etc. Has comedy and action fun little series that just finished up and is only 5 volumes.

Young Gun Carnaval - 2 highschool assassins who try to blend into normal society. Nice shoot em up series might go great since you just finished Gunslinger Girl not as great as that series though but it's hard to compete. Only 5 volumes.

Oyome ni Ikenai! - Slice of life shoujo series of a business woman who sucks at chores so ends up hiring a cleaning/cooking service who happens to be a highschool male. One of the most interesting series with a older woman I've ever read in a long time. 5 volumes again what's going on.

The last one I know it's a little long but this one is something even Dark Horse can't get or won't touch. I know it's 18 volumes but I think it would do very well, Dance in the Vampire Bund was 14 volumes for you guys.

Akumetsu - Highschool vigilante trying to fix a very corrupt Japan by killing off the corrupt , very violent and well drawn series.

Another vote for Taboo Tattoo as one of the others available not on the list of doom.

Unfortunately one of my all time favorites is a Kodonsha title and I would give you my soul if you could license it.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Here are a few ideas in order of increasing eccentricity.

Steins;Gate: Boukan no Rebellion: Given the anime's success, I'm surprised no one's licensed any of the spinoff manga yet. There are tons to choose from, but Boukan no Rebellion is the one I find most interesting.

Ever Green: Romcom manga from the author of Toradora -- what more do you need to know?

Mahou Shoujo of the End: Survival horror involving psychotic magical girls trying to destroy the world. The first few chapters are a High School of the Dead rip-off, but then it goes in a very different direction. And, unlike HotD, it actually looks like it's heading for a climax in the foreseeable future.

Voynich Hotel: There's no way this will ever get picked up, but I have to try anyway. This is an absolutely deranged series about a hotel in the South Pacific that's full of yakuza, witches, serial killers, robot detectives and international assassins. And more murders than an Agatha Christie novel.
Flame808

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Here are a few ideas in order of increasing eccentricity.

Ever Green: Romcom manga from the author of Toradora -- what more do you need to know?

Voynich Hotel: There's no way this will ever get picked up, but I have to try anyway. This is an absolutely deranged series about a hotel in the South Pacific that's full of yakuza, witches, serial killers, robot detectives and international assassins. And more murders than an Agatha Christie novel.

I vote for both of these as well. Both great series.

Also what about Big Order its by Esuno, Sakae who did Mirai Nikki
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll get around to those requests in a bit here, but first off wanted to put in this request for our fans:

Our website has needed an overhaul for some time now, we'd like to do it right. Of this, we ask all of our fans to submit any and all things they'd like to see on the new Seven Seas webpage. So, you can post any implementations, additions or changes that'd you want out of our new site.

Thanks, everyone!!

http://www.gomanga.com/
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Make it more obvious where the new releases page isKodansha's one is really good. and it's easy to find.

Generally, I think the site is a little cluttered, and could do with streamlining. Some brief author bios could be nice on the series pages.

Lastly, I think putting all the "Alice in the Country of..." on one page would be good.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Generally, I think the site is a little cluttered, and could do with streamlining.

How would you declutter it?

Quote:
Lastly, I think putting all the "Alice in the Country of..." on one page would be good.

I thought about that, but it never really made sense, because like Dance in the Vampire Bund's spin-offs and sequels, Hearts/Clover/Joker/Love Fables all individual series that can be read independent of each other. So they all need to have their own individual series pages. It's just easier to explain what they are when they're not all grouped together under one umbrella.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
I thought about that, but it never really made sense, because like Dance in the Vampire Bund's spin-offs and sequels, Hearts/Clover/Joker/Love Fables all individual series that can be read independent of each other. So they all need to have their own individual series pages. It's just easier to explain what they are when they're not all grouped together under one umbrella.

But, and correct me if I'm wrong, people generally don't read just one Alice series (and if they do, it'd be Yen's main one), so it'd make sense to connect all of the side stories together in some way on the site. I'd guess Alice in the Country of Clover: Ace of Hearts has about as much to do with Alice in the Country of Clover: Bloody Twins as it does with Alice in the Country of Hearts: The Clockmaker's Story, but for some reason you're separating them out. This is only going to get worse as you license more Alice in the Country of... series. It would be more intuitive if you kept them on the same page. Separating them by Clover/Hearts/Joker on the page itself would be fine, but what you're missing is a clear landing page for all your Alice-loving fans' needs.

As far as what else I'd like to see on the website, I'd get rid of the separate "Licenses" and "Properties" tabs and just combine them. You're ghettoizing your American comics by keeping them clearly separate from your Japanese comics, even though I think you're still trying to appeal to manga fans with those. I'm not sure if that's the best decision.

Why are there Booksellers/Librarian and Foreign Publishing Rights sections on the "About Us" page? Surely those should be on the "Contact Us" page? But then why do they also have separate tabs in the "Company" section that lead to the "About Us" page?

There are no actual dates for book releases. World War Blue Vol. 1 comes out in July, but that's all I've got. If I want to find the actual release date, I'd have to go off your website. If I'd want to read the summary of one of the books (not the series summary), I'd have to go off your website. That's not good.

And I think the "too cluttered" comes from not having much white space in your design. All of your content is so squeezed together that most of my screen is blank when I try to view your website. The only place you've got room for some text is by the "Web Manga" pictures, and even then it's just 3 short lines each!

Also, speaking of the "Web Manga" section-- I would change that to "Read our series online!" I was not entirely sure at first glance what "Web Manga" was. Also, those should link to the first page of the series, not the latest page. And the titles of those series should be clickable, not just the images. Not entirely sure why you guys decided to color those images the way you did either...

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
My personal favorite comic shop does carry a good bit of manga, but they don't carry much Seven Seas (I think Sacred Blacksmith is the only thing I saw there). Seeing how, when it comes to new manga, I'm now buying 85%+ of my manga there, quite literally one shop in Maryland that I hit up once or twice a month, it makes me wonder if 7Seas has a solid foot in the door of comics shops. They have sales, so the $13 singles price tag wouldn't bother me as much if I could just buy it from that store (though since twofers are around $16, it makes me want to just wait usually, or collect things like Witch Buster which comes out as twofers). This is a pretty sizeable comic shop, they're the shop that runs the freakin' Baltimore Comic Con, I'm just not sure why they don't carry more 7Seas (I do seem to recall seeing Dance in the Vampire Bund omnibuses though). My second favorite shop, I don't think they carry any 7Seas at all and they carry a decent amount of manga too. But it's like, without this one comic store, I don't have a whole lot of motivation to buy new 7S stuff when biding my time tends to work in my favor. Because last Otakon, I got the first two Gunslinger Girl omnibuses for $4 a piece with remainder marks on them, but otherwise new.

I'm not 100% sure how they get manga at Cards, Comics, & Collectibles, but I've seen a Diamond calendar in there. They don't get much Yen Press either come to think of it (though I did get Thermae Romae 2 there the other day, maybe they only recently started getting some Yen Press in). At least I get pretty much all of my Viz from there pretty easily.

Oh, it looks like Qwan ran in Comic Flapper too, I enjoyed that mangaka's Suikoden III series, but Tokyopop never finished Qwan, even though it was only 7 volumes long.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
@classicazawa
Ask your comic shop if they have a subscription service or "pull and hold". Ask to see the shop copy of Previews (the latest came out yesterday) and checkout all the manga coming out in two months or so (Viz runs a bit longer). Even if your are unwilling to buy a new series based on the short blurb this would allow you to pick up continuing series with out fear of missing them when they come out.

And yes Seven Seas is in Previews. Even if the shop doesn't normally pick up their titles, I'm sure they would let you order them.

I personally buy Previews every month and go home and check out everything at leisure. I pay when I order so I get a 30% discount for buying in bulk. Every Wednesday I walk in and pick up all the latest manga. I use Barnes & Noble to page through stuff that I passed up when it was solicited. RACS gets me caught up on back issues not currently in the comic shop or B&N.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
^The problem is if I special order them, I don't get them on the sale price! So I just like to see what they have and work with it. Yes, I am so cheap I won't special order things very often (the last thing I special ordered was Twin Spica 1). See, this store has 50% off sales like every other weekend (sometimes it's 60% off manga!) so I prefer to wait and hope they have what I want. Not sure why they have 4 copies of Loveless 5/6, but none of 1/2, or 3/4 (or 9, 10, but they have 11, they must've just started to get that series in in the damn middle of it). I buy a few American comics (never singles, only volumes, I'm just too used to manga), usually Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors, or ponies, I can still easily spend $40 as is at the 50-60% off prices, I'm not generally hurting for things to buy on my hauls. But adding things? I just might.... if it's there....
Your comic shop must be different if you can get 30% off, but I don't think they do more than 10%, which at that point, go online usually.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
I'll get around to those requests in a bit here, but first off wanted to put in this request for our fans:

Our website has needed an overhaul for some time now, we'd like to do it right. Of this, we ask all of our fans to submit any and all things they'd like to see on the new Seven Seas webpage. So, you can post any implementations, additions or changes that'd you want out of our new site.

Thanks, everyone!!

http://www.gomanga.com/

Definitely combine the "licenses" and "properties" sections since it's confusing for casual browsers. And while you're at it, you really need to clean up both lists. While I was poking around the site, I saw, "The Last Uniform" and thought, "Hmm, never heard of that one," read the description and thought, "That sounds cool," but when I went to Amazon I found the series is out of print. Ditto Boogiepop and Ballad of the Shinegami.

And notice how I said, "when I went to Amazon"? I had to type "amazon.com" into my browser and then search for those titles over there because you don't have links to them on your site. You should make it as simple as possible for people browsing your site to buy your products, and that means putting links to Amazon, B&N, The Right Stuf, etc. next to every book.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa
I understand the "thrill of the hunt" but it is not available here. Only B&N actually stocks manga locally. Even then it is late, spotty and not on sale.

When I started buying manga, you could only get it at comic shops. At that time (September 1997) none of the three local comic shops stocked Maison Ikkoku. As a result I had to pre order from the beginning. The shop I chose to deal with is the only one still in business. They offer a 10% to 30% discount depending on how much you order. To get the discount you have to pre order and pay in advance. I've been doing that since September 1997 and I think the last time I didn't make the 30% discount was in January 1998.

Essentially I traded the thrill of the hunt for a sure thing. That is why I don't post in the Harder to find manga thread.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd personally like to see you rescue Sgt. Frog, since Tokyopop closed up a while back.

Also, what's wrong with Square Enix that bans you from licensing any of their titles? I mean the reason why you can't license from Sueisha, Shogakugan, and Kodansha is practically obvious (them owning American brances; the former two each own part of Viz and the latter has a branch of its own, distributed by Random House to replace Del Rey), but what's wrong with Square Enix?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
Also, what's wrong with Square Enix that bans you from licensing any of their titles?

I can answer that one for you. Square Enix and Yen Press have an exclusivity agreement.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
I'd personally like to see you rescue Sgt. Frog, since Tokyopop closed up a while back.

I would also like to have more Sgt. Frog published, and I think that it would be a good match for Seven Seas. Unfortunately it is too long (Edit2: 24 volumes and still being published in Japan), and the fact that Tokyopop released at least 17 volumes (Edit 3: they published 21 volumes) would probably be a negative factor.

Quote:
Also, what's wrong with Square Enix that bans you from licensing any of their titles?

I think that Yen Press has exclusive rights to Square Enix books.
Edit: Which LKK already said. I did not realize that it had taken me that long to write my post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5