• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blockbuster Near Bankrupt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jkid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know that Blockbuster was in debt! I had a great memory with them since I was 8.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I certainly hope Blockbuster doesn't go anywhere anytime soon.

Not that I use it for anime rentals much due to minimal selection, but I do rent a lot of movies from there and I don't want to go back to crappy mom & pop video stores that maybe stocked 10 copies of the most popular movies if you were lucky like we had in Canada prior to Blockbuster's expansion here in the mid-90s.

I know there's online rentals, but I don't have a credit card, and I prefer browsing boxes at a brick-and-mortar location anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I switched to Netflix because I the anime section at my local Blockbuster was attacked by the stickers. Sad

What I mean by that is that every single anime DVD (excluding Pokemon, Yugioh, and DBZ but oddly enough including the Miyazaki DVDs and the uncut Card Captor Sakura DVD's) was given a sticker (they have a Under 17 not allowed to rent sticker on the cases) and consequently I stopped going there.

On a side note Netflix has never given me any trouble and is just as good as it appears to be. Rentanime on the other hand, is aweful. Nowadays, 9 out of 10 titles that they add are hentai and the DVDs take up to 2 weeks to arrive at both your's and their end.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
DAMN! 491 million? i would've never guessed.

what are they taking all the hits from? are online rentals becoming that popular?
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Wow...How the mighty have fallen.

Just when you think your on top for good, someone comes along and hits you with a pink 50-pound plastic hammer wrapped in tin foil and rubber bands right aross the forehead!

$491 MIlliON??!!!! Shocked Gee Whiz!!!
ShadorWasabi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Blockbuster is good for movies.

For anime I rent with www.animetakeout.com

Very large selection decently fast turn around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shinobi X

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
Whoa! I'm shocked! Never expected that BlockBuster is dying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
Well in my personal opinion I don't care. I hate renting because if I hated the film well I wasted my time but only a little bit of my money but if I liked the movie I rented then I wasted even more money and more time going out and buying and returning the movies I rented..Since most of the time I know what I want rentals are useless to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
It's funny, I remember they ran a no late fee promation, but they charge restocking fee if you turn it after a certain amount of time.

It's $1.32, and that's only if you keep it over a week late.

I work at a Blockbuster. :p
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:21 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
hagakure|returns wrote:
It's funny, I remember they ran a no late fee promation, but they charge restocking fee if you turn it after a certain amount of time.

It's $1.32, and that's only if you keep it over a week late.

I work at a Blockbuster. :p

Well if block buster company desides to to downsize and you get fire sorry for you pal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
I used to work at a Blockbuster, and i hated it. So i don't really feel bad.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Honestly I don't care. I have never rented nor entered a Blockbuster ever. I rent from Rogers Video instead. There's always a pretty good amount of people in there and their Anime collection is growing pretty good. Reminds me, I need to go rent Full Metal Alchemist from them:D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
Rion wrote:
I used to work at a Blockbuster, and i hated it. So i don't really feel bad.

What did they have you do for brockbuster?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
Blockbuster's been in the can for at least a year since it got dumped by Viacom. And it doesn't matter if Blockbuster directly competes with Netflix if Blockbuster still has a draconian policy of refusing to rent out films which aren't rated higher than R.

Tenchi: The reason most Mom and Pop stores didn't have the newest titles was Blockbuster cut deals with studios which left them out. They've actually been sued in court over their monopolistic practices, but survived.
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Blockbuster's been in the can for at least a year since it got dumped by Viacom. And it doesn't matter if Blockbuster directly competes with Netflix if Blockbuster still has a draconian policy of refusing to rent out films which aren't rated higher than R.

Tenchi: The reason most Mom and Pop stores didn't have the newest titles was Blockbuster cut deals with studios which left them out. They've actually been sued in court over their monopolistic practices, but survived.

Well, Doesn't that make them sound even better ...lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5