• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Initial D Manga's Final Chapter to be Published This Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Erm, no. Engine and drive train is the heart and soul of any car, the rest is just "skin" and apart from a few little interior tweaks there's little difference even in shape and style.

You are entitled to your opinion (even if it's BS), however, the fact of the matter is that the car was jointly designed by Subaru and TOYOTA and, as such, HAS TOYOTA DNA IN IT. Additionally, the car features many of the same characteristics that the original AE86 had (RWD, low curb weight), so from a personal standpoint, I feel that people who argue that the 86/FR-S isn't faithful to the original car are simply nitpicking. Rolling Eyes
Laughing Yeah okay whatever. Toyota "skin" stretched over a Subaru chassis. But if you own the 86 don't be too surprised when they're using Subaru parts to service it. Laughing
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Laughing Yeah okay whatever. Toyota "skin" stretched over a Subaru chassis. But if you own the 86 don't be too surprised when they're using Subaru parts to service it. Laughing

Pure hyperbole. But hey, if you want to miss out on that car because it doesn't meet your purity standards, you are welcome to do that (it's your loss buddy). Laughing
SundownE39

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah okay whatever. Toyota "skin" stretched over a Subaru chassis. But if you own the 86 don't be too surprised when they're using Subaru parts to service it. Laughing

Thought I'd come in and chime on how wrong you are. As much as Subaru did with the engine/transmission (LOL post-EJ20 tidbits), everything else is pure Toyota, right down to the seats.

And finally, the horrible manga series ended.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:45 am Reply with quote
SundownE39 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah okay whatever. Toyota "skin" stretched over a Subaru chassis. But if you own the 86 don't be too surprised when they're using Subaru parts to service it. Laughing

Thought I'd come in and chime on how wrong you are. As much as Subaru did with the engine/transmission (LOL post-EJ20 tidbits), everything else is pure Toyota, right down to the seats.

Mate, to any petrolhead worth his smell of petrol, it's whats under the bonnet, (hood), what makes the tyres roll that's important, not what your arse is sitting on. Think of it this way; a Ford with a Chevy Engine is not a Ford anymore. To petrolheads, of which I was one, I do my own servicing and repairs when I can, however I'm now a converted dieselhead, it's like a man becoming a woman, or vice-versa. Wink
SundownE39

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
SundownE39 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Mate, to any petrolhead worth his smell of petrol, it's whats under the bonnet, (hood), what makes the tyres roll that's important, not what your arse is sitting on. Think of it this way; a Ford with a Chevy Engine is not a Ford anymore. To petrolheads, of which I was one, I do my own servicing and repairs when I can, however I'm now a converted dieselhead, it's like a man becoming a woman, or vice-versa. Wink

Thought I'd chime in after a year because holy incorrect facts, batman!
Sure, the thing under the bonnet is what's important but you're also missing the one crucial thing that differs between a Subaru and a Toyota - handling. Like the AE86 (lel) in Initial D, the Toyota/Scion has different suspension setup compared to the Subaru version - hence the slight understeer in the BRZ. You're not a proper petrolhead if you care just for the engine. Anywhoo, I'll stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2