• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steins;Gate (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
I too am loving this show. I rarely laugh-out-loud at anime but the scene with the lab coats set me off. It is true, wearing a lab-coat is really relaxing, as well as giving you a sense of importance. Laughing

I think there is a bit more to the shop-keeper though. spoiler[I like everyone else believes she is from the future/alternate timeline however she calls herself a part time warrior, well considering her stances when she senses danger then clearly she fits the part of a soldier. This is enhanced by her reference to bombs. Now could she have been sent back to this timeplane to protect Okarin?] That is my thought anyway.

Another theory...spoiler[could the individual she be referring to has having passed away be John Titor himself?]

Will be interesting to observe what role Christina played in that particular seperate timeline.
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
The lab coats are cool as people have already mentioned; and the comedy courtesy of Daru actually works. "That explanation was too dirty", heh.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
Tutturuuuuuuuuuu!

I dont think I even want to predict what is going to happen next, although I am enjoying reading your everyone's guesses. I wonder whether the shop assistant spoiler[came from future, past, alternative timeline], and what happened to John Titor (since Okarin remembered him being big in the past, although no one else did, not even John Taitor himself).

I love this series, it's smart and entertaining at the same time. The labcoat scene was really well done Smile Needless to say, I want to see more!
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Tutturuuuuuuuuuu!

Metaru oooopa!
Oh god that voice. All the compilations with it on YouTube...

I don't think she'll ever become anything more than the cute lab mascot, which is a pity.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, if Suzuha Amane, the part timer girl, is spoiler[from another time or time-line and she was surprised at Kurisu/Kris/Chris/Christina's appearance, might she be from the same disappeared time-line that Okarin/Houoin remembers but no one else does? You know the one in which someone killed Kurisu? ] It looks like only Past has considered this possibility in a post so far.

As for my enjoyment of the show as a whole. I'm actually still having problems. I still don't like Okarin/Houoin much, including the VA's performance. I can appreciate some mysteriousness, but by this time I'd like to get at least a slight feel for the real motivations for even a single major character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Having a busy week, so I don't have much time for discussions till now, still a busy schedule ahead of me.

Eppie 5.

At first, I was suspicious about Suzuha really being a soldier, but her actions seem to enforce that she might actually be one. spoiler[She covered in fear when a helicopter flew by thinking it might have been a bomb. She's cautious about what's happening around her. The fact she gave off a stare to Makise implies something.] Foreshadowing here! I guess my speculah of Suzuha spoiler[possibly being from the future] is proving to be true so far. When she mentions spoiler[she had learned about technology from a friend, I'm wondering who it is. The only person that seems to have a vast knowledge of technology so far is Daru, so it could possible that it is him.]

This episode really made this show boost up, the previous episodes were a bit slow, but the character interactions has been good. The final corner of the episode shocked me as it did to the characters. The question of Houoin being insane is somewhat answered. spoiler[SERN is really up to something, and this episode proves that.] While the character interaction has been good, I'm questioning whether some characters will play a bigger role. Houoin, Daru, and Makise are the only three that seem to have a huge significance in the story so far.

Great eppie.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
Like Spastic Minnow, I'm clearly not grooving on this show as much as many of you, but I do find it enjoyable. Still frustrated by the slow pace. We are at the end of episode 5 and I feel like, in terms of what has happened and various revelations, we could easily be at the end of episode three. For my taste, too much time is being taken up by repetitive gags: "You're my assistant." "No, I'm not." Man, if I have to see one more iteration of that, I'm really going to lose it. Part of my problem is that I just don't like Okarin. The good news is that he is the only character I don't like. The bad news is that he's in virtually every scene. Okay, eppie 6 is coming up - dare I hope for some speedier plot progression?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh it is quite slow, I agree. But then I was surprised how not much happening does not really make a difference is this series. (and after watching Spice and Wolf, everything else seems to have a much faster pace than it actually does).

Funnily enough, I am not too fond of Hououin, I don't get the character, and I can not really relate to any other character (they all seem like is they have come from a different planet), but that's a charm of this series I guess. Characters are more of an addition to crazy plot that I really enjoy. I just hope to see some more interactions with the 'outsode world' and less hanging around the lab...
batou37

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
So I've decided to go back and watch episodes 1-5 again because I'm sure that there are things that I have missed and low and behold... spoiler[I recommend going back and watching the first 2:45 of episode 1....see if you notice anyone we have been talking about recently 2:10 - 2:12 specifically brown wavy hair, military fatigues, suspicious piece of equipment (alternate universe or time machine?? that apparently just appeared on the roof)... Shocked ] That's just what I've noticed so far I'm sure I'll come back and edit this post later..
Edit: Furthermore in episode 3 part time girl; spoiler[knows about sern and the IBN 5100, but she does explain that away with overhearing them which I guess is believable, but then Okarin gets a text and she asks him if it is "a message that someone is dead"....kinda makes me think she knew the history of him sending a text about a death back in time but she just didn't have an exact time of when it happened. Other peculiarities with her: She has never had fresh corn nor ever seen fireworks. Her assertion she's a warrior I believe now mainly because of her eyes in both the situation where she saw makise for the first time and also the helicopter. The sadness she shows when she tells okarin that she knew someone that was familiar with the 5100 makes me think she is more than just an outside observer. ] So my wild speculation on her...spoiler[She is from 2036 after the war and society has fallen drastically. She is obviously young but is also a warrior so it must be necessary to be that way to survive in that time, seems almost post-apocalyptic with the no fresh food and bombings etc... She came back because she helped Okarin in her time (really wild speculation here...he may be her father with makise...or mayuri... being her mother.) Makise betrays both to her own father who is working with sern. Daru is killed in the future because of this. Daru is the person who suzaru said she knew that was knowledgeable about the 5100 and that was killed. Okarin was originally in timeline A where John Titor came back in time to 2000, and he along with the murder of makise who is going to betray them (suzaru's warning to Okarin) kept sern from taking over. But once Okarin called Daru with the phone connected to the microwave he transferred.... (or his consciousness did...I don't know) over to timeline B where suzaru just arrived in 2010 (that part on the roof beginning of ep 1) and since Makise wasn't killed, titor is trying to help them along by providing information because in actuality he is Okarin (one possibility), and suzaru is trying to get close to 2010 Okarin to help and save him. Either Okarin is John Titor and he didn;t actually ccome back, but is just messaging him information, or Titor will end up being someone who worked with Okarin in the future. Red haired glasses girl I just can't make up my mind about yet. ] I'm sure I'll have a whole different idea on the story after one or two episodes more though...
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Like Spastic Minnow, I'm clearly not grooving on this show as much as many of you, but I do find it enjoyable. Still frustrated by the slow pace. We are at the end of episode 5 and I feel like, in terms of what has happened and various revelations, we could easily be at the end of episode three. For my taste, too much time is being taken up by repetitive gags: "You're my assistant." "No, I'm not." Man, if I have to see one more iteration of that, I'm really going to lose it. Part of my problem is that I just don't like Okarin. The good news is that he is the only character I don't like. The bad news is that he's in virtually every scene. Okay, eppie 6 is coming up - dare I hope for some speedier plot progression?

its 24-26 episodes forgot precise number dont care. Basically its a long series so no sit tight and wait.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
No Nyan Nyan this episode.

batou37 wrote:
So part time shop keeper, is she
spoiler[ I would say obviously from the future and a successful experiment from when she said that christina knew nothing yet but is she friend or foe?]

Since she seems to get along with El Psy Congroo so well, I'm currently guessing that they did indeed succeed in creating a time machine, and sent Suzuha back in time. The reason to send her back could be because Kurisu joined SERN. And what leads me to believe that is all this America talk. Now, the reason she hasn't spoken to her father for 7 years could be either because he spoiler[died in the experiment or he is a head figure within SERN.]

But then again, I don't think I've ever guessed anything right.

Blood- wrote:
Part of my problem is that I just don't like Okarin. The good news is that he is the only character I don't like.

Oh, if I could share my sense of humor with ya I'd have done it already. He's absolutely hilarious, and with Christina they make an outstanding combo.

Blood- wrote:
Okay, eppie 6 is coming up - dare I hope for some speedier plot progression?

I wouldn't expect that. This anime requires more explaining than motion; in fact, I wouldn't want it the other way around.
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
So I was watching it when suddenly - Tuturuuu!
Gets me every time. Pity she's the weakest link in the cast.
Daru's pretty good, though. No, the show doesn't pick up the pace, and it's fine by me, though I don't see how they can make two seasons out of this.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
I actually still found the episode quite slow... No major revelations like those from the previous episode, again more questions.

The girl communicating through texts is a tad irritating, but maybe it;s just me, it seems like she is slowing down the pace that is already not that fast.

I really really like Stein's Gate, but it's about time something actually happened. Pretty pretty please. The first episodes have got their charm, but I hope it won't go on like this forever.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
This was the first episode where I really noticed the slowed down pace and wasn't just lost in the show, trying to figure out who was what from where or when. As much as I want to speculate on what may happen, and I have the same vague idea that everyone else does, I feel like I'll enjoy this show more if I just let it come to me.

I love the visuals and artwork of this show. I think all the females are incredibly attractive but I couldn't pinpoint exactly why until right now. It's the eyes. They're drawn just a little bit differently and using colors that are a little bit off and it's quite appealing. Not too shabby for a show that looks like it's damn near done in grayscale at times with the amount of dull colors used, but I'm glad the colors are dull. I don't want to imagine what this show would look like if the colors were bright and vivid.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Egoist has a very interesting speculation which I'm going to agree with for the most parts.

I watched Episode 6 two days ago and now I can't remember much, probably because nothing much happened. I'm guessing that the characters involved - revealed so far really do have somewhat of a role. Becoming spoiler[lab members could indicate a significant even since Mr. El Pys Congroo plans to "battle" SERN.] I'm getting back vague memories of what happened, but the most significant parts is probably at the end of the episode when spoiler[Makise figures out how the D-mail works. Seems like they're attempting to perfect the Phone Microwave.]

I'm still enjoying this show a lot. It's probably my favorite show this season. The comedy has been well and those eerie moments are, well, great at establishing a mood. This episode's jokes were pretty good, especially the references, and Daru's perverted responses.

Where's my Nyan Nyan though?! She must have a major role if she's introduced! I want my dose of Nyan Nyan since I get Mad Scientist, Tuturuu, Daru's perverted thoughts, and Makise's brilliance almost every episode!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 25