• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Romeo X Juliet Collection 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaeris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
key, zaeris: a.......

Lol, well I can end it here... since there is nothing left to say. Although it would be interesting to see you're top 10 for anime and bottom 5 for anime.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I did not range anime in that way yet... also, it seems like I did not see another around 13500 anime from ANN's database...

I would say that there are very few anime among more than 300 titles I watched that have plot which I could not critique (Kiba, for example, some Miyadzaki works)...

Overall my attitude is somewhat similar to Carlo's -- see example from his latest preview of a new lame, stretched-out, improbable-events anime:
spoiler[The forgettable protagonist of the series is Kazuma Hoshino, whose story begins with a train ride to the countryside. (Seriously, what is it with boys on trains? There were two shows that began the exact same way last fall.) However, Kazuma and his accompanying little brother get sidetracked when they board the wrong connecting bus, leading to a backwoods escapade where Kazuma chases a mischievous monkey into the woods. Clearly, there are major storytelling issues when this is considered a legitimate plot device. Those issues only become more obvious when Kazuma meets two of his possible future girlfriends traipsing about in the forest. Come on, shoehorning clichéd events into unlikely settings doesn't make them interesting—it makes them ridiculous.

The ridiculousness continues when Kazuma and his brother arrive at the rural inn where they will be living from now on, the convenient result of having well-connected but absentee parents. Not surprisingly, among the inn's staff are a couple of young, attractive females—who get an inadvertent peek at Kazuma's privates in a blatantly telegraphed bathhouse sequence. Only the most tolerant viewer will survive to the final scene where Kazuma finally transfers to his new school. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2