• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime pushed the enveleope on Cartoon Network / Toonami?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.manguy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network's Toonami block featured edgy anime and targeted kids ages 10-17. However, because the target demographic was as young as 10, the differing standards between Japan and America, and because Cartoon Network sold itself as a family oriented channel, many of its shows had to be edited for content. Some faired worse than others (Evangellion) but the people at Willams Street always tried to push the boundaries, and get away with as much as they could given the restrictions.

But what anime that has aired on CNs Toonami did you think, REALLY pushed the boundaries of a TV-Y7 rating? I personaly would like to say, Tenchi Muyo! how they got that on the air without completely destroying it ala 4kids is beyond me. As a reminder, DBZ and Sailor Moon don't count as those shows weren't edited by Cartoon Network, but rather their distributors. Plus, they were geared more towards the younger end of Toonami's target demographic (preteens).

Last edited by Mr.manguy on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo for sure. You'd have to be an idiot to think they were actually drinking "tea" and bathing in "swimsuits". Laughing

I know the censors slipped up once or twice and Ryouko got to say "dammit". lol There are a few other lines of dialogue that are rather questionable....though that would go over kids' heads.

Aeka: What are you doing!?
Ryouko: (with her sleeves pulled off her shoulders): Trying to seduce Tenchi?

lol
Mr.manguy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Aeka: What are you doing!?
Ryouko: (with her sleeves pulled off her shoulders): Trying to seduce Tenchi?

lol

I'm going to give CN the benefit of the doubt and say they left a few things slide to appeal to an older audience. Toonami was primarily aimed at tween boys, so it would make sense to have very mild fanservice (though flat out nudity was out of the question of course).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Guess I'd have to agree on Tenchi as well, even looking at aspects like the OVAs, Universe, and Tokyo having many episodes of non-action while Toonami generally fashioned itself an action block. Several episodes were just straight up slice-of-life and comedy with character development.
Mr.manguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Guess I'd have to agree on Tenchi as well, even looking at aspects like the OVAs, Universe, and Tokyo having many episodes of non-action while Toonami generally fashioned itself an action block. Several episodes were just straight up slice-of-life and comedy with character development.

Yeah, Tenchi kinda felt out of place on a block that mostly advertised hardcore action. Though, I'm still not sure what Cartoon Network was thinking when they decided Outlaw Star, an adult Seinen series was a perfect fit for the Toonami audience.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Only the OVA series was "unfit", and the need for "swimsuits" did sort of come out of nowhere--
Universe and Tokyo were perfectly acceptable (a bit of comedy, CN, remember that?) to go with the nominal sci-fi trappings, and still got some younger kids hooked in the day.
All part of their deals to get Pioneer/Geneon titles, which also got us Lupin III, and the rest of Sailor Moon.

Nowadays, the Williams St. boys have their own idea of what constitutes "cartoons", and if it's not, like, wicked kewl action, who needs it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1