• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-11-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:
"That's right ! It's Viz Media's Saikano box set! 13 episodes of hyper-depressing, wrist-slittin' emo fun!"

Emo? Ew. Now I'm sure I don't want to buy Saikano... Razz

If you think emo is what MTV and Rolling Stone are telling you is emo, you're quite mistaken.

http://www.fourfa.com

Here's more info:
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Emo
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Emo_kid
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
Nice! A little disscusion on what "emo" means. You see I've been hearing this word so often that a few weeks ago I looked it up in wikipedia (which mentioned the early bands of the genre that I really do not know). Although really I've noticed some people use the word in odd ways. According to some of your reasons though it seems I have been loving this music for a while and did not know what it was called.

Saikano though...ah. I have a weird thing with that particular title. See I adored the angst and depression about it. Then I got to volume four. Well, let's just say that the caption kind of involves the reason why I decided to stop purchasing it. Let's just say I have some manga I wish to get rid of and if someone knows good place that will give me a reasonable price for it tell me! To think I was really hoping for a boxset. Then when it was announced I wanted. Now I do not even care to paricipate for it.
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
In Answerman's Column:
Unless it's a Disney dub, most anime companies won't - and in most cases can't - pay what even C-list celebrities command for voice work. Furthermore, anime isn't exactly high-profile work. Most celebrities wouldn't really want their names on it, unless it's a Miyazaki flick. That's not to say anime is low-class, but let's not kid ourselves; in American culture it doesn't really get a lot of respect. I wouldn't expect any real celebrity talent to be doing voice work on Naruto. *** END QUOTE

The only exception I can think of to this statement is Stacey Q appearing in the English Dub of Stratos4 as one of the main characters. There was an article on how the 80's pop-princess was lending her talents to the voice-acting industry and I can say that she did a pretty decent job on the series. It is certainly rare, however, that any American celebrity would step into an anime role... but perhaps that's a good thing, I mean, honestly, who wants to hear Tony Danza's voice coming out of an animated character?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
XenoCrisis0153 wrote:

The only exception I can think of to this statement is Stacey Q appearing in the English Dub of Stratos4 as one of the main characters. There was an article on how the 80's pop-princess was lending her talents to the voice-acting industry and I can say that she did a pretty decent job on the series. It is certainly rare, however, that any American celebrity would step into an anime role... but perhaps that's a good thing, I mean, honestly, who wants to hear Tony Danza's voice coming out of an animated character?

Uh, Stacey Q has been a washed-up Z-lister for a really, really long time, dude. I'd hardly call her a "celebrity" under any circumstances. She probably really needed the money.

Hell, most people don't even know who she is anymore.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Stacey Q

Quick anime-related question: could her name be borrowed for the name Suzy Q. Joestar, wife of Joseph Joestar in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:
Stacey Q

Quick anime-related question: could her name be borrowed for the name Suzy Q. Joestar, wife of Joseph Joestar in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

Doubt it. "Suzy Q." is the name of a Dale Hawkins song famously covered by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3