• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Twilight's Pattinson Downplays Akira Casting Report

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kensh1ro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Never saw the movie, but I read the manga.
Now that we know that Mr. Twilight's not going to be in it, how about all the other parts of the planned film being debunked. According to Cracked (great source, I know Rolling Eyes ), there's a lot not to like.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

If Pattinson is an anime fan, or a fan of Akira, then why in the article is "loves" in quotation marks? When something is in quotation marks, it usually implies something, and its not always great.

I'm sure Pattinson is a nice person, but his acting isn't great. Although I have some respect for him because I'm told he doesn't actually like Twilight, I have to question why he even starred in the movie. Yeah I know, money, but come on. Why be in something you hate?

It's in quotation marks because it's a direct quote, meaning the article is directly attributing the word to what Pattinson said. Take note that "love" is only in quotation marks because it was the only word pulled. The entire sentence, located in the second paragraph, doesn't stress 'love' at all, because the entire thing is being quoted.

From what I've seen and read, Pattinson didn't really know what he was getting into. Of course he was aware of the basic plot, but it was quick money and the series' popularity was unknown to him. It was a bit sad, really, seeing his health deteriorate around the second movie. He was under loads of stress, but his schedule (which included another film) kept him busy and unable to return home for a bit.

Last edited by RestLessone on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
I really think doing an American Akira movie now would just be wrong. Especially now.

I'm not trying to sound like typical "internet nerd ragers" on this, but I just can't support such a project. Japan just had its biggest disaster yet. And they have had a history of natural and human disasters throughout the years, this being a culmination of the two.

Right now, more than ever, it just feels wrong. It's their story, not ours. I feel like taking someone's term paper and presenting it as my own. Only adding in references to the Twin Towers for emotional effect. And making the main characters brothers and thirty (according to rumors).

Off the ranting, Pattinson, I've learned, is a cool guy. I wouldn't mind getting a beer with him, or letting him be my wingman at a club.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
Robert Pattinson is awesome. Not only is he a not-really-in-the-closet Twilight hater, but he's also an admitted Anime fan.

If Pattinson is an anime fan, or a fan of Akira, then why in the article is "loves" in quotation marks? When something is in quotation marks, it usually implies something, and its not always great.

I'm sure Pattinson is a nice person, but his acting isn't great. Although I have some respect for him because I'm told he doesn't actually like Twilight, I have to question why he even starred in the movie. Yeah I know, money, but come on. Why be in something you hate?

probably for the same reason why samuel l jackson is known never to turn down work. Not that Pattinson is that high profile, but that's pretty much the reason right there. When you're an up and coming actor you don't really have the room or luxury to turn down work, and I'm sure hearing that it was an adaptation of a wildly popular teen novel trilogy didn't hurt his decision either. At the end of the day I can respect Pattinson's honesty as an actor. He doesn't much care for the twilight series and even admitted that he kind of stumbled upon acting. The guy used to model and was fortunate enough to get into acting (for those of you wondering about the Harry Potter reference he was Sedric Diggorey in the goblet of fire before he was Edward Cullen) and he's perfectly aware that he isn't a perfect genius at it but it's something he wants to keep doing as he has mentioned. I don't blame the guy for milking a goo thing I'd totally do it if I was in the same position. With proper financial planning he could be set for life on just those 4 movies. I think that's pretty awesome.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
Robert Pattinson is awesome. Not only is he a not-really-in-the-closet Twilight hater, but he's also an admitted Anime fan.

probably for the same reason why samuel l jackson is known never to turn down work. Not that Pattinson is that high profile, but that's pretty much the reason right there. When you're an up and coming actor you don't really have the room or luxury to turn down work, and I'm sure hearing that it was an adaptation of a wildly popular teen novel trilogy didn't hurt his decision either. At the end of the day I can respect Pattinson's honesty as an actor. He doesn't much care for the twilight series and even admitted that he kind of stumbled upon acting. The guy used to model and was fortunate enough to get into acting (for those of you wondering about the Harry Potter reference he was Sedric Diggorey in the goblet of fire before he was Edward Cullen) and he's perfectly aware that he isn't a perfect genius at it but it's something he wants to keep doing as he has mentioned. I don't blame the guy for milking a good thing I'd totally do it if I was in the same position. With proper financial planning he could be set for life on just those 4 movies. I think that's pretty awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2