• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Schedules So-Ra-No-Wo-To/Sound of the Sky in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
you'll get better quality watching on Crunchyroll if you're a subscriber.

Er, no you wont. CR's 720 is in name only. The size might be 720, but the quality isn't HD, it's often DVD or even lower. Here's a quick cap from episode one taken at 13:31.

That's actually pretty good from CR, it's not that noticeable in motion, but the artifacts are clearly there. Compare it to this week's 720 stream of Steins;Gate which is well below DVD quality. CR just doesn't do true HD.

Also CR only got one of the specials (they didn't get 7.5) and that's only available in SD and 480 so the box set certainly has that going for it.

I don't usually get excited about owning something I've seen on CR, I have a subscription there to save me money after all, but this is something I want to own even if it is a sub-only DVD set.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
N.R. wrote:
If you are a real fan of the series there is no way you will buy the DVDs.

Nah, that's something a real fan would do. Whereas a leach would just horde fansubs. I'll most likely pick this up. I love the art on the box, particularly the one with Kanata bugling on top of that decrepit tank/mech.

Yeah I'm pretty sure real fans would support a series they love even if its not perfect. then again, we all need an excuse not to buy stuff right Laughing
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:

I love the show, and I'm buying the DVDs. I want to support Nozomi, because they produce high-quality products in terms of packaging and extras. I already bought the BDs from Amazon, and I'll triple-dip if Nozomi (or someone else) ever releases a subbed BD set, too.

It's normal for me to pass on R1-DVD releases of shows with BD releases over in Japan, but not this time. Passing is especially easy to do when it's regarding the product of companies like Funimation, Bandai, Viz, etc., who usually put little to no budget/effort into their releases, but Nozomi makes a complete product that I feel is worth purchasing.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
N.R. wrote:

Nah, that's something a real fan would do. Whereas a leach would just horde fansubs. I'll most likely pick this up. I love the art on the box, particularly the one with Kanata bugling on top of that decrepit tank/mech.

Yeah I'm pretty sure real fans would support a series they love even if its not perfect. then again, we all need an excuse not to buy stuff right Laughing
So, basically, what he's saying is:

"There's no way in hell that a real fan would actually spend money on a show they like, supporting the people who bring them these releases in hopes that they'd continue to do so. All the real fans--the ones that actually care about the series and the people who brought it to them--would pirate that shit for free, the hard-working makers not getting a cent from said pirating."

Did you think before you posted that, N.R.? That logic seems pretty bullshitty to me. Laughing
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
There's "no" money to be made in home video nowadays. Plus making a blu-ray for $60 a pop that a free fansub doesn't already give you, that may be too high to pay for a niche.

Anime in Japan is made for 2 reasons:

1) promote the manga.
2) make a profit on home video.

If there was no money to be made in home video, anime wouldn't have been produced. Of course, saying anime is still profitable in Japan doesn't mean it's doing great in the U.S., but Funimation is releasing a gazzilion DVDs a year, so it can't be that bad can it Wink
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
N.R. wrote:

So, basically, what he's saying is:

"There's no way in hell that a real fan would actually spend money on a show they like, supporting the people who bring them these releases in hopes that they'd continue to do so. All the real fans--the ones that actually care about the series and the people who brought it to them--would pirate that shit for free, the hard-working makers not getting a cent from said pirating."

Did you think before you posted that, N.R.? That logic seems pretty bullshitty to me. Laughing

You completely misunderstood what I said. I love Nozomi, and they make a great effort with most of their series (I own all of Aria and pre-ordered Utena already). I said what I said in a general manner: anime distributors shouldn't give the fans a lower resolution DVD when a very high resolution BD exist. It just makes not sense. As a fan I've already got the Japanese BD and planned on getting this in BD and in English. I don't understand why U.S. companies continue to release inferior DVD releases.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
As a fan I've already got the Japanese BD and planned on getting this in BD and in English. I don't understand why U.S. companies continue to release inferior DVD releases.

It costs more to do a Blu-ray release, and this may not be the kind of title with wide enough appeal to support it. Most domestic US Blu-ray releases up to this point have been bilingual. Only a few Bandai Visual USA titles from way back are sub-only.

I'm definitely buying this series, because I love the series and really want to support it here, and Nozomi is going to be including extras that I'm really interested in (this is the kind of title I'd really like to have a booklet).
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
As far the question of releasing a DVD now when a high resolution materials exist but obviously would not be available for the US market for a year or more ~ I prefer Nozomi doing this release now as opposed to waiting a year or more.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Yay, finally. Rewatching shows via CR just isn't the same...I much prefer having it on solid media. I hope Sora no Woto does well for Nozomi. And I'd love to double dip for BD some time in the future...every single mail reply card I get from a Nozomi release, I'll be writing that in.

JohnnySake wrote:

You know, I never thought of looking for the soundtrack. That sounds like a good idea, CDJapan is always good for such things.

I don't even usually import soundtracks, but for this show I just had to. I've listened to it so many times over now...

N.R. wrote:
Nozomi is making a huge mistake here. If you are a real fan of the series there is no way you will buy the DVDs....

I completely disagree.

Being able to buy it in some format is better than being able to buy it in no format.

N.R. wrote:
I don't understand why U.S. companies continue to release inferior DVD releases.

Economic realities.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
You completely misunderstood what I said. I love Nozomi, and they make a great effort with most of their series (I own all of Aria and pre-ordered Utena already). I said what I said in a general manner: anime distributors shouldn't give the fans a lower resolution DVD when a very high resolution BD exist. It just makes not sense. As a fan I've already got the Japanese BD and planned on getting this in BD and in English. I don't understand why U.S. companies continue to release inferior DVD releases.
Oh, alright--now I gotcha. Can't say I agree 100%, but I can see where you're coming from now.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
configspace wrote:
you'll get better quality watching on Crunchyroll if you're a subscriber.

Er, no you wont. CR's 720 is in name only. The size might be 720, but the quality isn't HD, it's often DVD or even lower. Here's a quick cap from episode one taken at 13:31.

That's actually pretty good from CR, it's not that noticeable in motion, but the artifacts are clearly there. Compare it to this week's 720 stream of Steins;Gate which is well below DVD quality. CR just doesn't do true HD.

Also CR only got one of the specials (they didn't get 7.5) and that's only available in SD and 480 so the box set certainly has that going for it.

I don't usually get excited about owning something I've seen on CR, I have a subscription there to save me money after all, but this is something I want to own even if it is a sub-only DVD set.

Emerje

Um, no. There's no "720p in name only" (presuming it's not an upscale). Regardless of artifacts "HD" refers to the resolution of the footage. Many commercial western blurays also have encoding flaws like banding -- does that mean they are suddenly not HD anymore?

I can guarantee you that upscaling the DVD to 720 will result in noticeably thicker, blurry outlines, blurry backgrounds and textures, as well as enlarging artifacts present from the dvd compression itself.

FYI, you also need to pop the CR player out in order to view it in the native size (see caps below). Also, unfortunately though, the flash renderer with CR's "video smoothing" option is not as good as native player's renderer. If you rip the h264 stream and play it back on a native player, it looks a bit better, being a tad sharper and cleaner.

You're right that they dont' have ep 7.5 so that is one advantage of the DVDs

CR:

bluray rip, downscale to 720p:

As far as Steins Gate goes, yes their encode unfortunately suffers from obvious banding and some noise in certain places. Still it is most defintely HD. Even here, upscaling from DVD will just result in a blurry mess, especially something like pic 4 below, even if it would be "cleaner" i.e. without the banding.

Steins Gate CR:

Steins Gate, fansub TV rip:

In any case, I'll still be buying these since it's cheap enough (though I'd rather spend twice as much for the BDs) but grudgingly so. The problem I see when people tell others to pay to support regardless of qualms is that it may send the wrong message, that RS/Nozomi may think there's little demand for a BD version.

agila61 wrote:
As far the question of releasing a DVD now when a high resolution materials exist but obviously would not be available for the US market for a year or more ~ I prefer Nozomi doing this release now as opposed to waiting a year or more.

That could be the case, especially with regards to what Bandai mentioned about reverse imporation, but then again, several other licensees have managed to released *some* BDs soon after the JP release.

I also wonder if Aniplex themselves plans on bringing the bluray here later since they're also the publisher for Sora no woto.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
I guess I've been disillusioned by the idea that for something to be truly called "HD" it would have to be of pristine quality. I've never really thought of upscaling as actually making something HD, it just cleaned up the artifacts a bit. But regardless, back the original point, I don't think the DVD release will actually be worse than CR's 720 stream since the actual picture quality isn't as good as the BD release in the first place.

BTW, just how much of a difference does using the CR pop-out player make? If I'm playing in full screen and my monitor is already at 720 anyway does it really make a difference?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I've never really thought of upscaling as actually making something HD, it just cleaned up the artifacts a bit.

Upscaling at source doesn't clean up artefacts as they shouldn't exist in the source material at all (certainly not to the extend of DVD compression). Upscaling in the player will just enlarge artefacts although the player can try to smooth them out (along with any fine detail).

Quote:
But regardless, back the original point, I don't think the DVD release will actually be worse than CR's 720 stream since the actual picture quality isn't as good as the BD release in the first place.

Of course an internet stream isn't going to be as high quality as a BD - there's a huge difference in available bandwidth. I've never tried comparing a 720 stream to a DVD - I'm not even sure if I have anything relevant to compare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2