• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture, Cybersix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Oh WOW, I haven't seen Cybersix in a long time. I remember watching it on Fox Kids once. Will be picking this up along with the Fatal Fury movie.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:41 am Reply with quote
I wish I had had a crystal ball with me the day I spent $45 on a used OOP copy of FF...

...which I still haven't watched yet.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:03 am Reply with quote
Ah Fatal Fury movie with some great animation that showcases talent of Masami Obari and also his inability to draw character designs.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
ikarisama wrote:

It aired on Fox Kids back in 1999. They ran it once in sequence then basically aired it haphazardly and constantly switched its time slot around.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Cybersix basically came and went on Fox Kids along side Escaflowne.

I stand corrected then.
I don't remember it airing with Escaflowne though. And I watched that every week on both YTV and Fox Kids!
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Cybersix! Very Happy

Preordering that as soon as possible.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
ActionJacksin wrote:
Interesting to here that Discotek's going to make their own transfer. To my knowledge, this is the first time they've ever done this, so I really wish them the best.

They likely did the same with Locke the Superman, as the Japanese DVD was letterboxed, while their DVD was anamorphic... And much, much better looking in terms of color, too.

Yes, that's what I was thinking too in terms of precedence.

There are a lot of great, small companies like Synapse, Vinegar Syndrome and Blue Underground out there doing their own transfers of old, forgotten, cult films. It'd be kind of cool to have Discotek as sort of the anime equivalent of those companies, because there are A LOT of anime films out there that have sort of been forgotten or ignored over time that could use some lovin'.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
My brother has an old tape of Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture that we got when picking over the remains of Hollywood Video - it was always a really amusing movie, probably more than it has a right to be as a fighting game adaptation (and certainly the most enjoyable of the three Fatal Fury films). It's something I could put on just for fun. It didn't hurt that I like the dub too (it has some incredibly random background character dialogue, like a guy telling a friend "Hey man, I saw your sister naked!").

By the time it swam back into my consciousness, the Viz release DVD was already pretty hard to find/expensive, so I never did pick up a copy. Discotek's doing a real solid here, especially if they make a nice new 16:9 transfer and include Viz's old dub.

One question I always had about the film is, it seemed like Viz's U.S. release may have been lightly censored, but I never had a JP copy to compare it to. Was there a few minutes of cut footage, or did we get the full thing?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they don't discard the dub if there were indeed some seconds or even minutes cut out of the Viz release. I'm sure there would be a way around it.
Jonny2x4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Based on the fighting game series by SNK, the Fatal Fury film was released in Japan in 1994 and in North America (by Viz Media) in 1999. The story follows Terry and Andy Bogard, Joe Higashi, and Mai Shiranui as they attempt to stop Laocorn Gaudeamus from recovering the lost pieces of an armor, one that imbues the owner with the power of the God of War.

Minor nitpick, but Viz's English dub of Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture came out much earlier than 1999. It was actually released on VHS in 1995 alongside the first two Fatal Fury TV specials. I know this because my parents gave me the VHS of The Motion Picture on my birthday that year.

Quote:
(and certainly the most enjoyable of the three Fatal Fury films)..

The first two Fatal Fury movies were really made-for-TV specials, so they didn't have the same high production value as The Motion Picture. Also, Motion Picture was the only one that had an original plot and wasn't just an adaptation of the games. Shame Masami never adapted Fatal Fury 3 and the Real Bout series.

ittoujuu wrote:

One question I always had about the film is, it seemed like Viz's U.S. release may have been lightly censored, but I never had a JP copy to compare it to. Was there a few minutes of cut footage, or did we get the full thing?

That only happened in Fatal Fury 2, which had the Joe Higashi vs. Big Bear match cut out (since the dub was based on the Japanese TV version rather than the extended VHS release).
witch17

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I love them both! I watched Fatal Fury on scifi and that was the movie that got me into anime (mostly because I didn't know anime was a thing). I remember watching Cybersix on FoxKids and being real annoyed when I missed it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Yes, the creator has passed.

This I was not aware of until I read your comment and looked it up. Damn.
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Cybersix back when it aired on Teletoon was one of the more interesting shows that I watched as a child. Cannot wait for the release
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:41 am Reply with quote
The FF series had nice visuals, but the character designs are fugly. Very fugly indeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3