• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinichiro Watanabe Reveals Space Dandy Comedy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neshru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
diet panda wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This.

This right here.

This is going to save anime.

The same thing was said about stuff like Redline and Fractale, and look what happened there. Or didn't happen.

Redline was amazing, to be honest. It's just a shame nobody cared.
But I'm pretty sure the only person that said Fractale was gonna save anime was its director Razz
Jave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This is going to save anime.

Save it from what?

From shows that sell good, clearly. We need more bombs like Michiko to Hatchin and Sakamichi no Apollon Laughing And Watanabe's name is just the death sentence to do it.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
Even better news: BahiJD is doing key animation! Very Happy

Who cares who's doing key animation? It's still going to have static facial expressions, bad lip sync and corner cuts, reminiscent of Hanna Barbera cartoons.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
If you think most of the shows coming out now are terrible, how is one good show going to "save" anime?

I never got this either..
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
According to people that were at Otakon, Watanabe said it's only gonna be a 13 episode series, but they will make more if it's popular.

Also, they showed a trailer. Looks awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FD9Rv7_Ox4
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:

Who cares who's doing key animation? It's still going to have static facial expressions, bad lip sync and corner cuts, reminiscent of Hanna Barbera cartoons.

So? That doesn't stop these kinds of shows from being wonderfully directed and animated. Man who can kick ass with one finger is still man who can kick ass.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:

So? That doesn't stop these kinds of shows from being wonderfully directed and animated. Man who can kick ass with one finger is still man who can kick ass.

Depends of budget and sequences. Escaflowne had some pretty lame animation in the normal scenes, but fluid battle scenes. Same with Big O and Turn A Gundam.
neshru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:

I think the guy was just making fun of a certain branch of anime fans.
Probably.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
neshru wrote:

I think the guy was just making fun of a certain branch of anime fans.
Probably.

Oh, I see. I think.

I hope.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, maybe it's that video quality but this looks deliciously old school like the stuff that got me into anime in the first place and those ships! I'm a sucker for a nice looking spaceship and those (again despite the quality) looked pretty nice.

On another note toward the video, was the audience full of 12 year old boys? Cause I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why they would laugh every time there was a boob or ass shot on the screen.

Edit: Watched again, guess it was cause of the restaurant's name but after that initial introduction why are they still laughing? To cover the awkwardness of being in a room full of people watching giant animated ha-has bounce around on a screen? Maybe? No? (Shrugs shoulders) Still looks pretty, I'll have to watch it and see if the fanservice will bug me or not (I mean I love the Space Adventure Cobra Movie and there are half naked ladies everywhere.)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
According to people that were at Otakon, Watanabe said it's only gonna be a 13 episode series, but they will make more if it's popular.

Also, they showed a trailer. Looks awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FD9Rv7_Ox4

That looks awesome for offscreen. With it being Bones I expect the colors will look really sharp when we get it direct. This team still has a really cool/fun view of space and ships just like in Bebop too. Looks quite nicely animated (as I expect from the awesome Bones), I like the look of the action/destruction bits and the backgrounds. That oldschool hero design and creatures. Though the outfit is even more revealing than Faye's LOL, Honey's design is pretty nice. Like others I'll be curious if it can muster any serious moments to go with the majority being comedy.

I think that music in the first half would definitely not be out of place for Yoko Kanno, since they haven't announced the composer yet.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm actually more excited about Ito [presumably] being the Animation Director. Yea, even though Bebop and Champloo have their funny moments, Watanabe has never really struck me as the full blown comedy type, so I'll keep my expectations grounded.

Well Watanabe certainly had a great sense of humor at the panel itself. He had the whole room laughing several times. Smile

Edit: about the restaurant name Watanabe said you know Hooters they have that in space too.

Honestly the fan service is the one thing I did not like. But at least it's in the preview. I can respect that.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm actually more excited about Ito [presumably] being the Animation Director. Yea, even though Bebop and Champloo have their funny moments, Watanabe has never really struck me as the full blown comedy type, so I'll keep my expectations grounded.

Well Watanabe certainly had a great sense of humor at the panel itself. He had the whole room laughing several times. Smile

Nice LOL. I can only imagine how much fun this reveal panel must have been as it happened with them revealing a show like this.

Good point about Ito Madienoftheredhand, I love a ton of the animation he's worked on.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think that music in the first half would definitely not be out of place for Yoko Kanno, since they haven't announced the composer yet.

There are about 4 composers working on it it and they will create around 30 songs.
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

There are about 4 composers working on it it and they will create around 30 songs.

You got it mixed up.
20 artists with 3-4 songs per artist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4