• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What could have made a series better.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
That made me laugh...
as did your taking someone to task for being forced to read a book Abunai...
that almost made it into the present in the perfect/pointless/poignant quotes page, it made me giddy reading it. Thanks.

I live to entertain you. Wink

If there's one thing that can really place me in a state of serious pissed-off-ness, it is the small but obnoxious contingent of so-called "university students" who seem to think that the purpose of their sojourn at university is to be as stupid and drunken as possible, while studiously (!!!) avoiding anything resembling an actual education. Unfortunately, there are always a number of these at any university.

These are the people who will complain at having to deal with old-style texts (whether Elizabethan English or Old Danish, it matters not), or even Latin (!!!) in the context of a history study. Who find it morally objectionable to be "made to" read a book that every one of them ought to consider a cherished part of their heritage (Sophocles in the example mentioned, but it could have been so many other works). Who believe that the purpose of their so-called studies is to merely provide them with a diploma as a sort of membership card to fulfil job requirements. Who will promptly forget everything they learned at the university upon graduation, and never use it again.

In short, people who have no idea of the purpose or meaning of the education that they so carefully avoid receiving.

Now, I will be the first to admit that there is nothing at all wrong with being half-arsed about things. By all means, people, muddle your way through life and drink away what brains you may have left -- but do it somewhere else, the rest of the people attending the university are there to learn.

- abunai
Feel the burning passion of my immense disdain towards these people
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5