• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Study of Modern Social Homogeneity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
When I first saw Genshiken at an anime club I was dumbstruck that it featured one of the characters having a Laputa Castle in the Sky ringtone. That was the exact ringtone I had currently set for one of my alarms. Yeah, Genshiken is awesome, maybe a little too close to home sometimes, but awesome none the less. I also ahve enjoyed the manga.

Also, you get a bonus ep of Kujubiki Unbalance. The second ep is on this DVD (or rather ep 15, the filler ep of the series). When one of the clubs at my school saw this ep, during the karaoke scene, the entire club just broke out laughing. I swear a number of us were laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes.

-Xenos

Episode 15 is a great episode. The voicework on KujiUn has really stabilised, and it generally feels quite natural.

The karaoke scene feels different in English and Japanese though.
spoiler[In the Japanese, it's like, she sings completely out of tune, her voice is all over the place, and that's why it's so awful. In the English, it's not just her voice that's wrong, but she sings incredibly badly as well. So it's a different feeling.] Both are funny, though!

I'm just going to be a technical bastard here, but it was actually episode 21 not episode 15. And it wasn't a filler episode it was a recap episode. There's a big difference. But yes, my image of Tokino after that scene was permenently ruined.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:

By the way, is the Hufu link supposed to lead to a picture of a very distressed Jadress?

Oops! Nope, link fixed.

Snowfairyx wrote:

Besides over-the-top gore, are Gantz and Elfen Lied really similar? I haven't seen Gantz yet, but I've heard some people take offense to it being compared to the latter and probably vice-versa. I've heard a lot of negative things about Gantz due to the intolerably stupid characters but that's actually gotten me interested enough to want to pick up the series to see if they really are that bad.

^^;; They're not that similar at all besides over the top gore. I couldn't really think of anything else at the time though. Elfen Lied and Gantz have totally different themes, but the tone of both is kind of similar.
Mizu-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
GANTZ is a great show. My friend and I have watched up to the ninth DVD and honestly cannot wait for the tenth one to arrive. Yes, the characters are sometimes very, very stupid... and talk a bit too much when they should be shooting. But that's honestly the whole charm of the series. It's fun to yell at the characters (and think of how you would be much more amazing if you were in their position) and watch most of them perish in really nifty ways (which probably makes me slightly sadistic, haha).

The plot is really interesting, and most of the mysteries are still not explained (only three episodes left!). Honestly, I highly recommend it just about anyone who is not offended by a negative outlook on the human condition, haha.

I am so excited that you said it was worthy of buying!! I hope that helps the show recieve some of the recognition it deserves.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It still surprises me to see them chattering on cell phones while they’re walking with their friends, all wearing designer-brand clothing inspired by the latest Parisian fad (the woman, not the city), and with enough makeup on all of them to not only look in their mid-twenties, but also look the same.

There's a word for them now. Prostitots.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
Quote:
It still surprises me to see them chattering on cell phones while they’re walking with their friends, all wearing designer-brand clothing inspired by the latest Parisian fad (the woman, not the city), and with enough makeup on all of them to not only look in their mid-twenties, but also look the same.

Wink Yes, I use that word often. But it doesn't make me any less curious where the hell they get their money, and why their parents don't care that they're dressed like hookers.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:

I think the old word was more fitting: Jail bait.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
xanbcoo wrote:
Quote:

Wink Yes, I use that word often. But it doesn't make me any less curious where the hell they get their money, and why their parents don't care that they're dressed like hookers.

Parents are too busy making that money and our way of living/economic has increase tremendously. And hey you can put the blame on MTV shows like Laguna Beach for influencing the young girls of today.

daxomni wrote:
It's a nice entertaining series, but you eventually start to wonder why the characters act so dense.

You make a good point and I thought Sakura Diaries had some good plot elements. Elfen Lied has this problem too, in which the character are really dense, and it didn't help with all the cliche they throw at you.

GANTz is an excellent series, but it's not for everyone, especially those that like cute little things. However, the series is more original than something most anime being release, like Elfen Lied Rolling Eyes

Emerje wrote:
xanbcoo wrote:

I think the old word was more fitting: Jail bait.

Emerje

R. Kelly Watch out!!
afnj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to put Sakura Diaries on my netflix list but they don't have the new one. only the old edited one. I'm thinking about buying it, since it has a nice 6 eps per disc I don't have to shill out bill after bill for disc after disc, but after reading this I'm thinking I want to rent it first.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Is the Genshiken manga still going? I know the anime is over.
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Gunslinger Girl definitely deserved the spot it got. I thought it was a great series that really stood out. It was a very different step for me since I think at the time I was watching much lighter stuff. It also great that the series is on 3 DVDs. I'm going to buy it some time in the future for sure. I also loved the opening theme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
ENJOU KOUSAI!!!

Yet another reason why the US gets Japan's pop culture waves 10 years afterwards.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
Is the Genshiken manga still going? I know the anime is over.

Yes, Volume 7 releases end of next month.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
On that little opening, I've kinda found that the patterns of money spending with today's youth is mainly affected by two things. One thing is access. The fact that chains and malls are constantly expanding, like how that one lake that was once there is now drained and houses a giant Kohl's outlet. Not to mention how easy it is to buy stuff nowadays with online stores and such.

Well, the other thing, is somewhat regional. Around DC, everyone is either flat out homeless, or a really rich yuppie. And of course, really rich yuppies tend to regard clothes as disposible and have houses that could house an small African country. I guess it kinda varies from region to region.

Though with the whole "everyone has a cell phone" thingy, y'gotta admit they've gotten dirt cheap over the last few years. Tons of plans offer free phones, and pay-as-you-go phones cost less than a one foot long skirt from Express.

On a side note, I must be the only one who acctually doesn't mind Flat Soda. (literally. I've never seen Avengers btw. =P)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AlphaBlitz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Hey, there's nothing wrong with flat soda, I like flat soda!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
AlphaBlitz wrote:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with flat soda, I like flat soda!

I like flat Sprite and flat Mountain Dew (and its incarnations). I find flat Coke to be a bit ghastly though, unless I'm really thirsty. Then flat coke with melted ice cubes kinda does the trick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3