• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime characters that should be in jail.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bolaum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Most of the World Government in One Piece. I mean, they killed thousands of people because there was a tiny chance that a dangerous criminal was among them.
Cenobite451

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
... And not one mention of the entire cast of Black Lagoon. Huh.

Or Baccano!, for that matter.

And let's not forget a significant fraction of the cast of Durarara!...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote
Just adding to Surrender Artist's comments, I once did a body count in Noir. The following totals don't include any from flashback scenes; these are all separate slayings:

Through the course of 26 episodes I’ve counted a definite 149 victims for Kirika. On top of that there are a further 30 that are killed by the Mireille / Kirika pairing but cannot be assigned with certainty to either individual. For the record Mireille accounts for 73 on her own and Chloe (in fewer episodes) 35. Assorted other Soldats members are responsible for a certifiable 73 (yes, the same as Mireille alone). This is a grand body count of 360. In actual fact somewhat more people die but it is often difficult to tell how many mooks there are in some scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
Quite a few FMA characters narrowly escaped 'war criminal' label instead becoming a war hero. The line was thin...
Bolaum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Quite a few FMA characters narrowly escaped 'war criminal' label instead becoming a war hero. The line was thin...

How could I forget them? What they did in Ishval and that alchemist that spoiler[transmuted his daughter and wife and he kept his alchemist title after doing it].

One thing that I'm still wondering, if transmutating humans is illegal, how come creating chimeras isn't considered human transmutation?
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Since Stein was mentioned I guess it's ok to mention Mayuri Kurotsuchi from Bleach. spoiler[The guys crimes are pretty much forgotten completely and after the Soul Society arc he is pretty much seen as one of the good guys. Well more like an ally, he never appears as a "good" guy. Let's not forget that he used his own subordinates as bombs. I don't think any captain would agree with that. I guess Ishida is just as much to blame since he just forgets Mayuri completely and Ishida just becomes a wimp after Soul Society arc.]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Heh, this is a fun topic. Laughing

Let's see...

Tsukasa Doumyoji (Hana Yori Dango)- He's attempted to murder students on several occasions who attacked Tsukushi (said students also deserve cuffs or expulsion for the crap they've pulled) and nearly raped Tsukushi in an early episode. And I still wonder why spoiler[Tsukushi chose him in the end].

Danichiro Sanka (Sankarea)- Daddy's a little too obsessed with his daughter and it doesn't help he makes efforts to castrate or kill Chihiro at points in the series because of the obsessive love he has for Rea.

Saori Shikijou (Mahoromatic)- It's no secret that she desires to have her way with Suguru against his will and makes efforts in doing so that Mahoro is fortunate enough to prevent.

Motoko Aoyama (Love Hina)- Naru would likely be pressed on assault charges in real life for the crap she does to Keitaro. Motoko, on the other hand, should get attempted murder charges considering she attempts to fillet the guy with a katana.

Yukari Tanizaki (Azumanga Daioh)- Her lack of regard for the rules of the road and the well-being of her passengers from her reckless driving would easily land her in jail in real life.

Akito Sohma (Fruits Basket)- Physical and mental abuse towards those who defy your authority within your family would have raised more than enough eyebrows to outsiders that knew of these issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Papochulo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
No, what defines "domestic abuse" would be either "marriage" or "family". "Assault and battery" but she's got spunk, I like spunk.

And any domestic abuse counselors out there would tell you that you were wrong. Your definition would exclude any situation where you had unrelated people living together and someone was being abused.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
In Shangri-La, both Shogo Kudo and Nagiko Hojo should both be serving life sentences; instead, at the end of the series the two of them get to live happily ever after!
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Cenobite451 wrote:
... And not one mention of the entire cast of Black Lagoon. Huh.

As far as I can tell, the opening post wasn't about anime characters that deserved to be in jail, but rather about characters that would realistically have been caught by the police and punished.

I can easily give Black Lagoon a pass, since the vast bulk of it takes place in a city where the cops are grossly corrupt. (I'm not sure, but I think the Lagoon company even takes part in bribing police.)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
[...] (I'm not sure, but I think the Lagoon company even takes part in bribing police.)

You are correct; at one point Revy tells off the Police Chief for taking her into custody for questioning when he's being bribed by Black Lagoon.
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Mariya from Maria Holic gets away with a lot of things.

The main one is pretending to be a his own twin sister to win a family legacy.

Also worth noting is the near constant (often homophobic) bullying by Maryia to keep Kanako from revealing this secret, including threats of rape. As her family owns the school she can get away with a lot.

Mariya's maid Matsurika often gives a hand to facilitate these acts.

Then again Kanako isn't totally innocent, sometimes stalking classmates, & keeping a album of secretly taken photos.

In the series she is put on trial after biting the dorm supervisor's dog.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
95% of semes from BL due to rape or underage sex Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Akito Sohma (Fruits Basket)- Physical and mental abuse towards those who defy your authority within your family would have raised more than enough eyebrows to outsiders that knew of these issues.

Oh yes - even without everything in the manga that the anime didn't get to, definite jail time for what was done to Hatori and very likely Yuki's child abuse as well.

The sad thing is, even without the biological components of the curse that would have made it very difficult for them to oppose Akito, the Zodiac members would probably have been too afraid of exposing themselves or their other Zodiac relatives to public knowledge to press charges spoiler[ had things not taken a turn for the better].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
I can easily give Black Lagoon a pass, since the vast bulk of it takes place in a city where the cops are grossly corrupt. (I'm not sure, but I think the Lagoon company even takes part in bribing police.)

Revy's backstory includes jail time, and not only that spoiler[she was raped while in custody.] That of course doesn't excuse her from being a murderous bitch, but she happens to be in a venue where being a murderous bitch is a respected trade. At least as long as the local constable is paid off. And I think Balalaika's situation is similar if not worse.

I wen't back to my list of anime that I have watched -- 100s of titles! -- and I see very few characters that "should be in jail" in the sense that they are not living within my precinct under our laws. Bad guys in anime generally live in worlds where their conduct is accepted even if hostile. For example an enemy from another nation. They make war or not but that isn't a local offense.

So I am not sure if this question really has any constructive meaning. Certainly there are characters that piss you off -- maybe the answer is just the list of those.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3