• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Osamu Tezuka anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime Sols has been on my mind lately with the talks of it coming back, and thinking about how the response to Tezuka anime on it so far hasn't been that receptive, it prompted me to wonder just what everyone's favorite Tezuka anime is, which ones had a good impact on you or which ones you terribly want to discover but can't because of the lack of translation?

My favorite work is Rintaro's Metropolis, as could be expected easily enough. It was the doorway into this fandom for me.

I then got into Astro Boy and I really love all of the different series in different ways. The 80's one has to be my favorite for being the truest to the manga both in story and tone. Jetter Mars is also equally good. Even watching all of it without subs, Rintaro's direction is strong, the music is great and the animation is good for its age.

The 80's Phoenix trilogy that started (once again) with a work directed by Rintaro is a breathtaking work of art. The first movie in particular is, for me, even better than the Karma chapter of the manga it is based on. Sure, it's a lot shorter, but it's impact somehow becomes stronger as a result.

Also love the direction and darkness of the Black Jack OVAs. My first time watching these was mesmerizing.

Then there's the Jungle Emperor Leo movie which was delightful and Black Jack 21 was very gripping.

Most recently I've been happy to watch the Dororo anime, having loved the manga, and I just hope it could get subbed faster!

But what I'm really curious about is everyone else. What is your go-to Tezuka anime?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
The only ones I've really liked are the titles in the Black Jack franchise I think. Mostly because I find medical dramas interesting, and the show has that in spades, plus a decent dose of action and mystery. I am not a big fan of Tezuka character art though, it's a bit too silly and cartoonish for me. Add to that the fact nothing else he's made has really jumped out at me, story-wise, and made me want to watch it.

I did watch Metropolis too, but I didn't really care for it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
I haven't found the Tezuka adaptations I've seen to be very engaging. They're either rather childish (because they were made for children) or too melodramatic.

Most of the Black Jack OVAs have impressive atmosphere but that should be attributed more to the director than to Tezuka and the stories are usually still pretty silly.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
My only exposure to Osamu Tezuka adaptations was the first episode of the Phoenix anime that ran back in 2004. Other than that, I've only read his manga. They're really good, though! I absolutely adore Black Jack, which I'm reading online. (It's now one of my favorite mangas ever.) I also bought the first two volumes of Astro Boy on my IPad. So far, it's a really fun superhero manga with a focus on the adventures and thrills. It's silly, but it's not meant to be super-duper serious in the first place. No complaints from me!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
With Tezuka, you take the 60's-70's old-school Disney-envy goofiness with the early-melodrama stuff:

If you want Black Jack, you have to take Pinoke. If you want Bagi, you have to take the "exploding rice" and the female scientist literally imitating Snow White's Wicked Queen (complete with magic-mirror communicator). If you want Astro Boy, you have to take Dr. Elefun (at least the US movie made him look less cartoonish).

Tezuka seems to symbolize that transitional phase for Japanese culture, back before anime became anime, and American Disney was still the Ron Miller days of reminding us how much we liked the 30's movies.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Metropolis was something I watched when I was first really getting into anime, so I have nostalgia for it and really like it. I didn't know it was Tezuka though, just that it was anime. The Astro Boy: Omega Factor GBA game is what I credit with really getting me into Tezuka though.

For other things I've seen, I've seen Phoenix for sure, both the 2004 series and the movies. Well except 2772, which I found to be ungodly boring and could not finish it. I think the adaptations could be hit or miss, I wasn't a big fan of Karma for example, but I think Space did a great job. Resurrection is my favorite manga chapter, but the anime was unrecognizable from it. Sun, Future, and Strange Beings were all awesome though (sure, Sun didn't do the future half, but the past half was arguably stronger anyway and was adapted in a way that I didn't feel anything was missing).

I've seen Astro Boy stuff too. I've only seen random episode of the 60s series, honestly, I'm not a fan of 60s anime. It's trying, but it's often kind of awful. The 80s series was enjoyable enough. 2003 was mostly average episodes, I don't recall any really bad ones, but when it got good, it got really really good and I liked Tenma doing more in the 2003 series (he more or less disappeared in the 1980 series after like 3 episodes). I did not like the 1980s dub, good thing that set had subs. 2003 dub was alright overall, but dear Tezuka, what did they do to Shunsaku Ban's voice? Just for the hell of it, I did see the 2009 CGI movie. Yeah, it was pretty bad, not the worst animated movie ever, but it was solo painfully average.

Black Jack! I haven't seen much, but I've seen some of my OVA DVDs (with my friend), and some random eps of I dunno which series, but what I like about Black Jack is that the set up is fairly timeless. So new series can make up their own stories and go from there. I did pledge for the second Black Jack set (and added the first set onto it, I don't think I knew of AnimeSols during the first set) and would pledge for more in the future. I also pledged for the second 24-hour specials set, which sadly did not make it.

The Unico movies, I just got them again on Bluray (I only had one on DVD), but I've still only seen the Island of Magic movie. I enjoyed it a lot actually, it was the first anything Unico I saw. I didn't get why Unico was needed at first so maybe his presence wasn't too strong for most of it, but I really did like the movie a lot in the end.

I've also seen The Astonishing Works of Osamu Tezuka. Some stories (like Broken Down Film) I quite liked, others were "meh".

I haven't seen Kimba though. During that last Nozomi sale, I debated, but ended up getting Dirty Pair instead. I've mentioned how I feel about 60s anime, even if this is later and more refined. I'd need some convincing. Can't say I'd bee too keen to see Princess Knight either, really. Also the early anime thing, but mostly because I thought the manga was really really average.
F-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to 60's anime, I prefer the black and white ones a lot more. Kind of like manga, the lack of color makes them more eternal. Your imagination applies the level of color and detail as it sees fit. Whereas a 60's anime in color is stuck looking the way it does: very flat.

So I adore the 60's Astro Boy and Dororo especially, which I feel has great pacing, extreme violence, and little in the way of goofiness like EricJ2 was talking about. Dororo is cute, but that only reinforces how horrible the things that happen to him and innocent children are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1