• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New banner?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
I was browsing the site and suddenly this banner pops up under the ANN logo:

Is it new? I never figured ANN to advertise a site like that Shocked. Hubba, hubba, by the way Razz.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
I just got served with a Jamster scam ad - someone seriously needs to look at the advertising here
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah. I figured ANN wouldn't put up something like this, meaning someone might've hacked into the site, perhaps? But I'm not a computer person by any means, so I could be wrong.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Some of the ads appear to be coming from Falk AG, a German adserver company - they actually did get their servers hacked some months ago, but I doubt that's what is happening here.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
We put up some "Run of Network" ads from one of our advertising agents as an experiment to see if we could use them to fill spare inventory on months where we under sell.

Are people offended by the dating type ads ? I can have them remove various types of ads if they bother people. But I can't really force them to limit it to anime... since the Run of Network ads tend to be mass market stuff.

You can see the range of ads by clicking here and refreshing. The ad will rotate with every refresh (but remain RoN).

There's a lot of stupid stuff in there, smileys, dating, etc... Right now they're set to take 1 out of 12 of our impressions. The rest is all anime / manga (and WB classics).

In the end whether we keep the ads or not will depend as much on whether they are beneficial as whether or not people are okay with them. If 100% of ANN's readers say they're happy with any ad, but no one clicks on the RoN ads, we'll get rid of them.

-t
Oneiropolos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Sexually suggestive and dating ads are particularly annoying to me, but I couldn't pick both of those on the poll. While I'd PREFER for ANN to be anime-only ads, I understand the need for regular ads too. It'd just be nice if the ads didn't have things on it that make me nervous to,say, look at the site in the library.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The poll verbiage didn't exactly suit my best answer, but here's what I think.

I'd definitely prefer anime and anime-related ads only because I tend to suspect Run of Network ads to have some sort of malware attached. If you have to put them on the site, I'd prefer they be kept to a minimum.

And yes, keep in mind that people of all ages visit this site.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Oneiropolos wrote:
Sexually suggestive and dating ads are particularly annoying to me, but I couldn't pick both of those on the poll.

I'd pick "sexually suggestive" then. I wrote that to include "sexually suggestive datings ads" like the one above, but not "non-suggestive dating ads."

-t
Faceman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to agree with a number of people. I prefer the anime ads, and I'm used to them on this site. With the RoN adds, it makes it seem like another generic site with cheesey ads. Compare any of the anime adds to a RoN one and just the quality seems to be a lot better.

Though if it is needed, I understand using the RoN ones, but the dating and more provocative ones really aren't suited, especially at the header where they draw more attention (some people access ANN from non-private locals) and can even be a distraction with flashing graphics, large cleavage, etc...
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I would prefer all anime/comic/game/animation related banners, but I understand the need to have some others. But yeah, I am definitely not a fan of those dating ads that feature a giant set of boobs in my face.

Geez, with the dating banners and the risque Anime Castle ads, this really makes that whole holiday cleavage thing from a few years ago look really stupid, doesn't it? :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Stick to Anime threads and dump the rest. Especially those annoying WB ads.
Akyho
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
i clicked the link for the RoD ads and was going well show me!! then noticed jamster ad and i was going "UH that bloody stupid banner!!.......hang on thats not normal for ANN oooohhhh now i get it now i have an opinion and i hate it." i see those ad every were els and i realy hate them but tghese are on sites that are badly managed and in over all cheap they may provide a good service but they are on the low grade of quality so its ok and understandable its like one or two people running it.

i never have ever clicked any of the banners in general i dont click any banners the only banners i have ever been intrested and clicked is the anime banners on ANN such as the tenchi muyo gxp banner those all fit with the whole scheme of ANN but those cheap and tacky ads that are showen every were else dose not suite this place the website is too polished and clean cut for it.
i understand it will help with server fees and everything i know someone that runs a website and forums and the whole thing comes to £400 a year thats $800 thats pretty pricey for a year but a site like this must be 6x higher so if it was in need to save the site then i am sure we would all understand but when its not needed but i am sure you would like to be earning more from the site its just not prefered atleast for me.
freedoom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
as long as its not one of those little "game" banners like hit osama 3 times and win an xbox i dond mind off topic or sexualy suggestive ad banners. but the flash based game banners are annoying and detract from any page. i'm just glad you didn't decide to put up those ads that pop over the web site and you cant do anything untill you find the 'skip' or 'close' option those are just terrible
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
freedoom wrote:
as long as its not one of those little "game" banners like hit osama 3 times and win an xbox i dond mind off topic or sexualy suggestive ad banners. but the flash based game banners are annoying and detract from any page. i'm just glad you didn't decide to put up those ads that pop over the web site and you can't do anything untill you find the 'skip' or 'close' option those are just terrible

ANN will *NEVER* run those. We hate invasive advertising. No pop up, pop unders or interstials (pre-stitials for deep-linking are an option we are considering though).

-t
Lyrai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'd prefer it to only be Anime adverts. One of the things I enjoyed about the site was that the advertisements werre things I'd actually buy. Sort of a weird sense of pride, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3