• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lovely Complex Sub.DVD [2013-08-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I disagree. To me all romantic comedies should aspire to be like Toradora! because it is funny, entertaining, sad and has a great story and great characters.

I disagree with your disagreement (I know how silly that must sound Rolling Eyes ). Oddly enough Toradora and Lovecom have opposite problems. Toradora was fun and interesting to watch up to about episode 18 because of it's wealth of fun and interesting side characters, whilst in Lovecom the real stars of the show are the leads while the sides leave a lot to be desired. If I was just going on that alone I'd give it to Lovecom only because the mains should be the ones stealing the show not the ones being out performed by their back ups, but what really puts Lovecom over the top for me is that I enjoy watching Risa work for it. This isn't the tried and tired formula of both parties being in some extreme state of denial where the only thing separating the two from a romance is the two of them just admitting they're head over heels or them just coming to terms with how incredibly thick headed they both are. In this we're actually faced with what actually happens in the real world where one person might be way into the other party than the other party is into them and they actually have to work at wearing the other party down until they're able to see them in a romantic way. That sort of story makes Risa very easy to root for, and the ultimate pairing between her and Otani that much more satisfying. Sure, things start to be less interesting after episode 18, but that has more to do with them only having 24 episodes to tell all the stories in the manga which would've needed around 50 to be able to tell those stories right (readers of the manga should contend to that).

Toradora on the other hand builds up all these fun side characters with a lot of depth without doing the same for its lead. Let's face it, Ryuuji is not that interesting of a lead, and his "gimmick" is even more played. So he looks like a gangster but really he's sweet and likes to clean. Ok....and Taiga is just a tsundere who's even less likable, and that's even without mentioning how played out romcoms with tsunderes are (I don't need to watch another one of those, please!). One could argue that not focusing too much on their inevitable romance for the first 18 episodes is what made the show more interesting up to that point. Then come episode 18 suddenly they remember they need to develop the shit out of them and you get what's left of the series, i.e. everyone losing except our uninteresting leads.

Anyway tl,dr if I had to choose between a romcom like Lovecom or a romcom like toradora, it'd be Lovecom all the way without even batting an eye. The fact that the box set sold out the day it released has to say something doesn't it?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

Anyway tl,dr if I had to choose between a romcom like Lovecom or a romcom like toradora, it'd be Lovecom all the way without even batting an eye. The fact that the box set sold out the day it released has to say something doesn't it?

That the release was underproduced and cheap? No wait, that's from the review.

I was underwhelmed by Lovely Complex myself. My first problem when looking for the series was that I kept for getting the title which gets shortened to Love*Com which presents so many generic problems.

My second problem was accepting the notion that our leads in this romantic comedy were already an established duo, even if it was a Osakan comedy act. In fictional terms, it means they'd get together whether the series continued or not, it was only a matter of time.

Third problem? Series stretching plot obstacles of opposing female love interests that introduced new female character one at a time. Very tiring especially since the lead dynamic was already established prior to the first girl showing up.

Fourth problem? It's not comedic, dramatic or romantic enough for me. It's inevitable as an old pair of slippers, comfortable I guess but hardly durable or entertaining. It's there, that's it.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Definitely agree that LoveCom peaks too soon. I loved it for the first half or so, but just got bored after that. And Otani smacked Risa way too much for my liking. As far as I could tell it wasn't even done just for slapstick comedy, which makes it worse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Love*com is one of my favourite rom-coms of all time. I love the fact that the main couple actually get to be in a relationship for several episodes instead of only getting together in the last five minutes like most other rom-com titles.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
In fictional terms, it means they'd get together whether the series continued or not, it was only a matter of time.

And this is different from almost every other romantic comedy out there how?

I also definitely enjoy that we get to see the two characters in a relationship, rather than just spending time on the "will they get together" plot because honestly, that one is really getting old.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

My first problem when looking for the series was that I kept for getting the title which gets shortened to Love*Com which presents so many generic problems.

that seems like less of a problem and more of minor annoyance, but that's neither here nor there...
Quote:

My second problem was accepting the notion that our leads in this romantic comedy were already an established duo, even if it was a Osakan comedy act. In fictional terms, it means they'd get together whether the series continued or not, it was only a matter of time.

That seems rather nit picky especially when you take into account that according to you your favorite romcom is toradora. The OTP is advertised in the anime title. It doesn't get more blatant than that. But even putting that aside, most romcoms make the OTP obvious from the start as the main grab is not really seeing who gets with who but the likability of the characters and seeing how the relationships progress.
Quote:

Third problem? Series stretching plot obstacles of opposing female love interests that introduced new female character one at a time. Very tiring especially since the lead dynamic was already established prior to the first girl showing up.

I'm a bit miffed by this one. There's really only two female "rivals" in this one and the first one barely counts as a rival. I will contend that the pacing of introducing new obstacles is pretty off where things are pace pretty decently at the beginning but once they get together things go in warp speed. I guess there's only so much you can do when you have a lot of story and only so many episodes.
Quote:

Fourth problem? It's not comedic, dramatic or romantic enough for me. It's inevitable as an old pair of slippers, comfortable I guess but hardly durable or entertaining. It's there, that's it.

Can't really argue on an opinion, if it's not your cup of tea than I guess that can't be helped. Again, I guess I'm just miffed by your supposition that Toradora is somehow less inevitable and less of a slough on the same old story as far as romcoms go? I suppose it could be seen as more romantic and more dramatic, but imo toradora steeps it little too much into the melodrama to the point of silliness where lovecom is more romantic in a real "I wish that could happen to me" sort of way. I feel like if toradora happened in real life I'd be rolling my eyes at the corniness of it all. But that's just my opinion.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I like live action version better.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it, and it made my to be rewatched pile, which is pretty rare these days, so much is one and done for me.
Aspects of the show did not sit perfectly with me (Otani's actions after Risa's confession, he comes off as quite the jerk in my opinion).
But there is so much else there that is done right, that was only a minor nitpick on my part.

It is a good value for the street price.
Thallium

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Great show, nice review, and i have already ordered my copy of it. Can't wait to rewatch it tbh, i remember it as a real fun show. Smile
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

That seems rather nit picky especially when you take into account that according to you your favorite romcom is toradora. The OTP is advertised in the anime title. It doesn't get more blatant than that. But even putting that aside, most romcoms make the OTP obvious from the start as the main grab is not really seeing who gets with who but the likability of the characters and seeing how the relationships progress.

The only two shows that I can think of, off the top of my head, that the OTP is not blatantly obvious from the start are Rumbling Hearts (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien) and True Tears. With Rumbling Hearts they even did the "alternate ending" as an OVA. With True Tears I was actually unsure of which girl he would choose until he actually said it to one of them. The majority of the plot complications in True Tears were transparent as a white tee-shirt in the rain, but the actual decision kept me guessing, which impressed me...

But, with most romcoms, it isn't about the end result, it is about the journey.
Msag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Toradora on the other hand builds up all these fun side characters with a lot of depth without doing the same for its lead. Let's face it, Ryuuji is not that interesting of a lead, and his "gimmick" is even more played. So he looks like a gangster but really he's sweet and likes to clean. Ok....and Taiga is just a tsundere who's even less likable, and that's even without mentioning how played out romcoms with tsunderes are (I don't need to watch another one of those, please!). One could argue that not focusing too much on their inevitable romance for the first 18 episodes is what made the show more interesting up to that point. Then come episode 18 suddenly they remember they need to develop the shit out of them and you get what's left of the series, i.e. everyone losing except our uninteresting leads.

Not that I want to start a LoveCom vs Toradora war here, but I totally agree with you regarding the problems you had with Toradora. I'm amongst the minority here who didn't really enjoy the series as much as everybody else (although I wonder if a rewatch will change my mind)...

And for everyone who's saying Otani is a jerk most of the time in the anime with the way he treats Risa, I don't think anybody could argue with that much, but he redeems himself a lot in the manga where the story continues after the anime left off.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
I agree, it really isn't that Otani is a jerk. He is just really close with Risa almost like a sibling-like relationship. How many times have we treated our siblings like dirt before? How many times have we talked back to our parents even though we still love them?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
The only shoujo romcom anime that I enjoyed more than LoveCom in the last decade was Skip Beat and sadly that doesn't look like it'll get licensed anytime soon so I'll definitely be picking up this set.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I've never read the manga for Skip Beat but I did enjoy the short anime series it had a while ago. Although the pacing of the anime was kind of out of wack. There's over 100 chapters of skip beat yet each episode was paced treacherously slow like it was based off of an ongoing serial shounen. It's a shame the anime didn't get to tell the full story.

Msag wrote:

Not that I want to start a LoveCom vs Toradora war here, but I totally agree with you regarding the problems you had with Toradora. I'm amongst the minority here who didn't really enjoy the series as much as everybody else (although I wonder if a rewatch will change my mind)...
And for everyone who's saying Otani is a jerk most of the time in the anime with the way he treats Risa, I don't think anybody could argue with that much, but he redeems himself a lot in the manga where the story continues after the anime left off.

Pretty obviously I'm well within that minority too and I make no apologies for it. Toradora had every chance of being something special but almost rejects that chance to be run of the mill what you'd expect from a romcom.

I also agree with your assessment of Otani's redemption in the manga. I wish they would've been able to more thoroughly tell some of the side stories either through more anime episodes or OVA specials, especially the side story regarding Maity's wedding. Oh well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the Skip Beat anime got through 11 volumes worth of material in its two cours.That is not a slow pace at all. It took Kimi ni Todoke 3 cours to cover that same amount of material for instance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3