• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Transformers: The Headmasters Region-1 DVD Set Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
They're intertwined together in posts, be a bit sharper when locating them

There WERE bad G1 episodes - FACT

There are few shows that don't have bad episodes, what's your point?

Quote:
Newer series always get backlash from G-1ers - FACT

Well yeah, but G1 fans always get backlash from fans of new stuff too, like you whining about how nothing is original anymore. It goes both ways.

Quote:
Each series always, if you go to forums, are being ridiculed for not being like G1. - FACT

Again it goes both ways. It's a fact that non-G1 fans also attack G1 fans for not letting go of the past. What's your point?

Quote:
Unicron Trilogy dubs ruined the shows - FACT, and I'm a guy who actually PREFERS dubbed anime altogether.

That's entirely opinion as well. Some of us actually liked the actors. No show has a perfect cast, that's a fact, but as far as I'm concerned the only people outside of Cullen and Welker who should be voicing Prime or Megatron are Chalk and Kaye. Most of the cast was made of anime veterans and did a great job with the somewhat diluted scripts they were given. It's not some perfect dub job, but it hardly ruined the series (IMO).

Quote:
I'm not stating that Galaxy Force is the best because I say so, but BECAUSE OF THE FACTS that it was this and that

But they're not facts. In my opinion the story was pretty bad, it was shoehorned into the trilogy (this is a fact, Hasbro came up with the idea of making it a trilogy well after Takara already put things into motion), it didn't try to explain why the technological advancements of Energon were gone, what happened to the existing planets from Energon, where key characters vanished to, why there was only three Minicons now and nobody cared about energon anymore, why Starscream went from redeeming himself in Armada and Energon to being an ultimate source of evil in Cybertron and many other facts that, in my opinion, made for a rather abysmal series. Also IMO, it had the worst overall story (I preferred that of Energon), worst animation (I believe Armada had some great cell animated scenes while Energon had much superior CG) and a rather lame ending (Optimus vs Galvatron was excellent in Armada, it's the first time we've seen Optimus fight in a fit of rage). Don't think your so called facts make you right when there are far more glaring faults that say otherwise.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
GameDemonKing wrote:
It would be cool that The Hub, Hasbro's channel, would air the Japanese Transformers since that would make it sorta their first anime to air on their network even though Hasbro is airing the original Transfomers and GI Joe along with their new incarnations.

I highly doubt that The Hub would air these shows, even with there being the potential of a "useable" dub. Also, The Hub has been airing Deltora Quest for a good bit already, so the Japanese Transformers shows wouldn't be the first animes on the channel.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yo guys, Imma let you finish bickering. But Beast Wars was one of the best Transformers shows of all time! One of the best of all time!
Zeguna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll buy it because it's twenty bucks and I'd like to see Masterforce released down the road. Also, people who demand a dub better keep on wishing.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
They could easily air this on the Hub as a sort of "lost season" of Transformers. Beats Wonder Years reruns even if they don't give it a full out dub with Cullen and Welker.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
For people who aren't into Transformers, no need to buy this one just because it's Japanese.

ikillchicken wrote:
Yo guys, Imma let you finish bickering. But Beast Wars was one of the best Transformers shows of all time! One of the best of all time!

It's a serious Transformers show! Laughing

Beatdigga wrote:
They could easily air this on the Hub as a sort of "lost season" of Transformers. Beats Wonder Years reruns even if they don't give it a full out dub with Cullen and Welker.

Fun fact: "Wendy" is now a promising mathematician even though she didn't plan it that way. Laughing
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly shocked at the fact that this was licensed.

I'm honestly even MORE shocked at the complaints over this.

Seriously, you won't buy this without a "proper" dub? Do you KNOW how much it costs to hire Frank Welker and Peter Cullen to do tv shows and movies? It ain't cheap, because they are hot commodities in voice-over land, ESPECIALLY Frank. And no, Shout! will NOT shell out that kind of money for a 20+ year-old show. Forget it, it will never happen.

Get over your fanboy selves, buy the set and be happy we have it at all. No, it's not the best show that ever aired, nor was it ever the best show in the Transformers universe (I reserve that space for Beast Wars and Animated at the moment), but damn it, it leads to Masterforce and all the other Japanese tf shows we never got here, so I'm hoping enough people pick it up for Shout! to get the rest of them over here.

Next they'll want the Japanese versions of the American cartoon where Starscream was voiced by a female. Oy....
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll buy it, first, because I'm a TF whore (with a strong preference for the original series, thank you very much...ALL ELSE IS CRAPOLA LOLOMGBBQ) and, second, since I made DVDs of this last year from crappy fansubs I found online. I didn't believe for four million years that this would ever happen. I may weep openly...

That said, Headmasters was the least of the Japanese G1 seasons by a long shot. But as others have already mentioned, if this release is to pave the way for Masterforce, I'll buy two.

But, please, by all that is holy and then some, ignore the Engrish dub. It's only funny until the first commercial break of the first episode. Then it will subliminally drive you to pierce your eardrums with spring-loaded rocket launchers.
Zump

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man. I would gladly buy this if it had that hilariously bad Hong Kong dub. That dub has so many mistranslations and weird names (Soundblaster ---> New Soundwave; Blaster ---> Billy; Unicron ---> Unicorn; etc.).
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
I honestly almost dropped a brick when I read about this, I don't mind that it's not dubbed fudge I'll buy all the unreleased japanese transformers series subbed if it'll get them here. What really threw me for a loop is that everyone and their freaking cat is ripping at each others throats, can't we all agree that everyone has their own personal favorite transformers series and absolutely most hated series and just leave it at that and actually be happy about the series release?
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
I honestly almost dropped a brick when I read about this, I don't mind that it's not dubbed fudge I'll buy all the unreleased japanese transformers series subbed if it'll get them here. What really threw me for a loop is that everyone and their freaking cat is ripping at each others throats, can't we all agree that everyone has their own personal favorite transformers series and absolutely most hated series and just leave it at that and actually be happy about the series release?

This reminds me why I left TF fandom like a decade ago. In like the seven levels of nerd hell, Transfans are on the bottom. So much self-loathing, insecurity, and phony net-bravado. I can only imagine how this has devolved even further after Bay's horrendously terrible but amazingly commercially succesfful movies came out. lol
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote
Zump wrote:
Oh, man. I would gladly buy this if it had that hilariously bad Hong Kong dub. That dub has so many mistranslations and weird names (Soundblaster ---> New Soundwave; Blaster ---> Billy; Unicron ---> Unicorn; etc.).

That dub was so bad, but oddly addictive. Watched all three Japanese G1 shows on Star TV back in the nineties.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
This show brings back memories when i was a kid.
I gonna enjoy hearing the dub again, now in high quality and in DVD.
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
They're intertwined together in posts, be a bit sharper when locating them

There WERE bad G1 episodes - FACT

Newer series always get backlash from G-1ers - NOT a fact Here's a clue. Don't use definitives. "Always" can always be disputed as I can say without a doubt that fans of G1 can sometimes like newer series.

Each series always, if you go to forums, are being ridiculed for not being like G1. - Not a FACT. Same thing.

Unicron Trilogy dubs ruined the shows - Not a FACT. I agree with you but it is your opinion

So you have one fact in your post where you claim it is littered with facts. Okay. I think the one who could stand to be sharper is you.

I will relent however, because I thought you were saying all G1 fans are whiners, but as you just clarified it is not the case. I love G1 the most, but I am also a fan of most of the Headmaster stuff, Beast Wars, Animated and this new Prime series is enjoyable (not sure how much I love it yet).

I think also that Transformers should stay away from being too deadly serious. Some comedy is necessary in a sort of ridiculous premise. I remember some comic series that was supposed to be a sequel to the original show where Spike was all emo because Sparkplug died in space because of the Autobots and Megatron was being used as a government weapon. At first I thought it was cool and a mature look at Transformers, but then I soon realized all the magic and fun had been zapped out of the series and it didn't feel like Transformers. Some comic relief I think is needed.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:

So you have one fact in your post where you claim it is littered with facts. Okay. I think the one who could stand to be sharper is you.

I will relent however, because I thought you were saying all G1 fans are whiners, but as you just clarified it is not the case. I love G1 the most, but I am also a fan of most of the Headmaster stuff, Beast Wars, Animated and this new Prime series is enjoyable (not sure how much I love it yet).

I think also that Transformers should stay away from being too deadly serious. Some comedy is necessary in a sort of ridiculous premise. I remember some comic series that was supposed to be a sequel to the original show where Spike was all emo because Sparkplug died in space because of the Autobots and Megatron was being used as a government weapon. At first I thought it was cool and a mature look at Transformers, but then I soon realized all the magic and fun had been zapped out of the series and it didn't feel like Transformers. Some comic relief I think is needed.

It'd be nice to see a whole series as serious as the original movie. It had bits of comedy and wasn't 'dead serious', but much more so than the show.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emerje wrote:

There are few shows that don't have bad episodes, what's your point?

My point was that maybe they could rerelease the original series in such a way as to filter out the bad episodes the same way DBZ Kai was released with no fillers. Particularly the ones that's generally agreed among fans to be bad such as B.O.T and Child's Play.

Emerje wrote:

Well yeah, but G1 fans always get backlash from fans of new stuff too, like you whining about how nothing is original anymore. It goes both ways.

They get the backlash for talking bad about the newer series in the first place without even giving them a try just because it's not G1. When did I say 'nothing was original anymore'? I said TF Animated was not original and recycled too much older stuff. That's really not 'whining', that's an observation. And I didn't like it because of that, plus the art style which I thought was horrendous, that's the opinion part.

Emerje wrote:

That's entirely opinion as well. Some of us actually liked the actors. No show has a perfect cast, that's a fact, but as far as I'm concerned the only people outside of Cullen and Welker who should be voicing Prime or Megatron are Chalk and Kaye. Most of the cast was made of anime veterans and did a great job with the somewhat diluted scripts they were given. It's not some perfect dub job, but it hardly ruined the series (IMO).

They weren't bad because of the voice actors. On the contrary, Gary Chalk and David Kaye as the leaders was a great choice imo, Hot Shot was cool and Scott McNeil was perfect for Jetfire.

BUT it was the show's varying animation quality let alone the script errors that were overly present made thanks to those guys taking the series before they even finished animating it in Japan, let alone Cartoon Network being total morons to the dubbing crew. That's the factual info about the production of the dubs. I probably should have mentioned that but I thought 'why talk too much when that's something everyone already knows?' That pretty much the major flaw of the dub.

Emerje wrote:

But they're not facts. In my opinion the story was pretty bad, it was shoehorned into the trilogy (this is a fact, Hasbro came up with the idea of making it a trilogy well after Takara already put things into motion), it didn't try to explain why the technological advancements of Energon were gone, what happened to the existing planets from Energon, where key characters vanished to, why there was only three Minicons now and nobody cared about energon anymore, why Starscream went from redeeming himself in Armada and Energon to being an ultimate source of evil in Cybertron and many other facts that, in my opinion, made for a rather abysmal series. Also IMO, it had the worst overall story (I preferred that of Energon), worst animation (I believe Armada had some great cell animated scenes while Energon had much superior CG) and a rather lame ending (Optimus vs Galvatron was excellent in Armada, it's the first time we've seen Optimus fight in a fit of rage). Don't think your so called facts make you right when there are far more glaring faults that say otherwise.

That's your opinion, but I'm not gonna dislike a series just because it's not G1 like the G-whiners do which is what the problem is in the first place. I remember someone saying, RiD sucks because there's no Starscream in it. Plus there were lots of other complaints of that nature. Besides, all the flaws you pointed about the Trilogy was only in the dubbed version therefore backing up my point that the dubs didn't do the show any justice. Do you know that that Japanese version was made so that Cybertron aka Galaxy Force was not a sequel, it was actually a reboot. And I think you ought look back and see that I said CEL ANIMATED scenes of Galaxy Force was the best, meaning the human characters and backgrounds. Far better than other series.

Take a look at it, forget the CG robots, but look at the backgrounds, they're more detailed than Armada and Energon, better lighting, character designs are slightly better than Energon. Had they put cel animated robots, it would be great to look at. And look at a good quality video, not a cheap youtube one.

Plus, the story was, well not changed, but condensed into a rushed work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So let's recap and get to the main point by filtering out too much info.

Headmasters may or may not be big. But I won't be surprised if it isn't. Main reason, older fans complaining over the existence of a series that's not G1. Therefore, it won't get a dub. New series are not disliked because of whatever faults one may see in them, but just because they're simply not G1. That's the common G-whiner which makes up a large part if not most of the fan base. Although Headmasters is G1, the old fans did not grow up watching it and will automatically disregard it as a TF series.

I've heard every single complaint from G-whiners about flaws of the newer series, and they can all be used against the original series as well. I'm sure we've all heard them, but let's all be ready when they start complaining again like they do with every other series before they even give them chances.

How is it that there is no such strong backlash from hardcore fans of the original Gundam series? I guess Japanese and anime fans don't live in the past and are more open to newer things.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now this is the completely opinion-based part:

Wouldn't it be good if they would actually re-release the original series in such a way that they filter out the lesser animation quality episodes, as well as the bad ones, correct the animation errors, rerecord certain lines, like the did to Dragon Ball Z Kai? And add a dubbed Headmasters into the episode count?

I personally would like that, and while I know that would never happen, I think maybe a dub of Headmasters has a slight possibility of happening if it's well-liked in N.A
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3