• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What ___ would you like to see adapted into an anime series?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reiizm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Replace "___" with Series/Movie/Video-Game etc.

The anime world has time and time again pulled and trapped series and movies into it's event horizon of awesomeness.

Series like The power puff girls, Iron man and supernatural.

I would personally like to see The Legend of Zelda; Ocarina of Time adapted into an anime. Either from Nintendo or from the person who made the manga series.

Discuss.
Drewbear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I like Western movies and think seeing Silverado turned into an anime would be amazing =D I think it would be cool and its been a fascination of mine for a long time to see Western animes but the only one I can really think of that had a gunslinger and any bit western was Trigun and I really did not like that. Id want a more serious western.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see an anime series based on the book Way of Kings, which was made to be animated. It'd be doable in 26 eps, but a 52 ep series would work better. Really anything by Brandon Sanderson would make for a good anime.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the first thing I thought when I saw this thread was, "Mistborn, animated by Yoshitoshi ABe, music by Yoko Kanno." Then I started thinking how cool a movie Shades Children would be if it were made by Bones, and wouldn't it be awesome if Miyazaki adapted some of Diana Wynne Jone's other books (she wrote Howl's Moving Castle)?
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Chrono Trigger a full adaptation the currently existing one is just a promotional video, and Phantasy Star Online.
simmeh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
How about broadening the field to include more than just books/manga/movies? How about real-world experiences? I just finished my Basic Training a month ago, and I think that an anime based on those types of experiences (not necessarily mine) would be an absolute riot, especially for anyone else who's gone through it. Just in my experience alone, there was enough crazy events to make a show, and enough vivid personalities to populate a full cast - and I'm sure that the number of stories you could draw from would be endless if you got a bunch of military types into a room.
batou37

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I think science fiction novels provide a vast reserve of stories that would do quite well in anime style animation.
One that I think would work well off the top of my head is
Simon R. Green's DeathStalker series. Sort of a Star Wars type setting, but magnitudes darker, where society has fallen into violent corruption, decadence, and oppression with a society setup similar to the Roman Empire (a lunatic violent empress and a group of ruling family clans who hold the power in most areas). A revolt is led (by a group of unlikely heroes by really no choice of their own, led by a clan prince who just wanted to sit back and be a historian...sounds kind of anime-ish to me right there) to overthrow the empire. The story involves space, aliens, clones, hackers, every kind of tele- esp power you can think of and the battles are fought on a grand scale.....If you are a sci fi fan I really recommend the series.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
@simmeh What branch? I've been in the Marine Corps for longer than I care to admit, and I've always wondered why there aren't more military comedies; especially when I look at how boot camp has changed over the years. I don't mean to imply that that change is bad, or that those going through it now are less of a Marine than those of us who went to boot camp in the eighties; simply that DIs have become a lot more...creative in torturing recruits, and that creativity is often hilarious.
I think military life has the perfect combination of high-jinxy comedy, slice of life, and drama to go beyond normal comedy; I wish I could think of an anime specific example, but the best I can think of to describe what I'm thinking is Scrubs.
simmeh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
wanderlustking wrote:
@simmeh What branch? I've been in the Marine Corps for longer than I care to admit, and I've always wondered why there aren't more military comedies; especially when I look at how boot camp has changed over the years. I don't mean to imply that that change is bad, or that those going through it now are less of a Marine than those of us who went to boot camp in the eighties; simply that DIs have become a lot more...creative in torturing recruits, and that creativity is often hilarious.
I think military life has the perfect combination of high-jinxy comedy, slice of life, and drama to go beyond normal comedy; I wish I could think of an anime specific example, but the best I can think of to describe what I'm thinking is Scrubs.

I'm a Combat Systems Engineering Officer (still in training, obviously) in the Canadian Navy, and yes, boot camp has changed. My instructors would try and scare us all with stories of when they did basic (shoes thrown out the window if they weren't shiny enough, getting hit in the shins with the pace stick if you didn't march properly, etc. etc.), but I still wouldn't say it was easy.

I'm glad someone agrees with me though. You put it best: it's the perfect mix of everything you need for a great slice-of-life comedy. It has crazy antics, colourful personalities, and a strong, indescribable bond being formed between the all the participants.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Since Philip K. Dick is still inspiring big-budget Hollywood sci-fi blockbusters 30 years after his death, why not some PKD-inspired anime? Maybe Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (which became Blade Runner), We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (which became Total Recall) or The Minority Report (which became, well, Minority Report)?

There's a reason why PKD continues to be a huge name in sci-fi. He was decades ahead of his time, maybe even 100 years or more.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
@simmeh I'm not sure what that does, but GG sir (wait, are you an officer yet? I don't know how commission works in Canada), lol. I think an anime inspired (or just anime) show would work really well with the military because there are so many similarities between ours and Japanese culture (last names and rigid customs and courtesies being the most obvious).
pulstar85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:55 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Shadow Run made into an anime. That world would be perfect for it!

Most of Terry Brooks Book would make great anime!

it's a shock That the Stars wars Novels have not been made into an anime. Seeing as Voice casting would work well.
Speedy Cerviche

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Popful Mail, a Sega CD JRPG, all we got was a OVA trailer Sad
I WANT A POPFUL MAIL ANIME!
rojse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I want to see more large-scale fantasy and science fiction epics like "Twelve Kingdoms" or "Legend of Galactic Heroes" adapted into anime, preciesely because anime is the only visual medium really capable of doing that sort of adaptation - large, well-drawn and detailed worlds, long story arcs, large-scale action scenes, and, in the case of "Twelve Kingdoms" imaginative fantasy creatures, all on a rather limited budget.

I don't have any particular novel series' in mind when I say this - I'm sure others would come up with some ideas, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3