• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What book would you like to see made into an anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBCurious

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
It sometimes seems that Anime with real passion are occasional gems every now and then. i.e. The source stories are either bland or the stuff which makes them great is cut out in order to not offend anyone.

To that end, it sometimes occurs to me that this or that story would make a great Anime. This is one story which seems to me to jump up and down and scream for Anime treatment.

Patricia A McKillip "The Forgotten Beasts of Eld"

Anime format: OVA01-03

Main female protagonist: Sybel
Main male protagonist (first): Coren
Main male protagonist (second): Tamlorn

Secondary characters:

The Beasts:
Ter - King's Hawk - tore apart the seven murderers of his prior master.
Cryin - Golden Boar - Boar of Knowlege. Able to answer any question save one.
Gyld - a Dragon of immense wealth.
Moriah - a large Black Cat - the archetype witch's familiar.
Blammor - a Night Demon - a taker of lives if you cannot give him his name.
Liralen - a Swan searched for but almost never found.

Part 1: Introduction to Sybel (age 16), her history, her mythical Beasts and her powers as a mage. Coren (age 20-ish) arrives and leaves a newborn Tamlorn with her.

Part 2: Tamlorn growing up among the mythical Beasts. Tamlorn (age 12). Coren arrives to take Tamlorn back for kingdom politics. Sybel refuses. Calls up instead King Drede (about 50-ish). Tamlorn leaves with King Drede. King Drede then secretly engages a mercenary Mage to capture Sybel and destroy her mind to make Sybel compliant to the King.

Part 3: Sybel barely escapes the fate planned by the King. Declares private war/revenge on the King. All is resolved after battles and bloodshed and actions on the part of the mythical Beasts.

This is a fantasy tale with a very strong woman protagonist. I often recommend this book to parents of teenage girls because Sybel is such a strong potential role model.

The tale has fantastical creatures, magery, country life, intrigue, betrayals, lust, sex {limited and tasteful}, rebellions, revenge, battles and unlimited driving passion for power and glory.

In short, it would make a great 3 part OVA series.

The wikipedia link above, unfortunately, is very much a spoiler. Don't read the wikipedia link if you want to read the book first.

I think I'd probably trust the same people whom did Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends) to do justice to this one.

So .. what books/stories/manga/comics would you like to see turned into Anime? And why? Series? Oneshot? Theatrical release?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Has there ever been a series of books better suited to be made into an anime than His Dark Materials? They did a live action movie of the first book but it left me lukewarm.

Ideally done by Kenji Kamiyama with a generous budget behind him.
Jen526

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
LOL... Forgotten Beasts of Eld is actually my number one pick, too.

Point of Trivia: There *is* a manga adaptation of the book - The Calling, by Okano Reiko.

I've also always wanted to see an anime adapatation of Anne McCaffrey's Pern books. Both Lessa (Dragonflight) and Menolly (Harper Hall Trilogy) could fit the mold of a shoujo heroine in a Jyu-oh-sei-style sci-fi, and when I picture the Pern dragons given the Lodoss Wars treatment in terms of capturing their size and epic-ness, it makes me drool a little. Smile
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll suggest something obscure, but interesting and special to me in Conrad Richter's The Waters of Kronos. It's a lovely book that I think could benefit from a dreamlike style that animation could do well. It has a certain special sentimental significance to me since my father used to mow the author's lawn as youth.

I'd also enjoy seeing an animation director face the challenge of adapting The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, but I can't imagine who might be mad enough to dare it, much less succeed. Maybe Mamoru Oshii in a building with a gas leak and a hair transplant from Nabeshin?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
How about the series from Author Laura Joh Rowland she created Detective Ichiro Sano, the series takes place in 17th century Japan, filled with lush backdrops that include ornate tea rooms, gaudy pleasure palaces, rowdy gambling halls, seedy opium dens, deathly prisons, mountaintop convents, depicting the era of the shogun and samurai.

Vividly describing how the population lived, eat, slept, bathe, worked, and the social classes within the Japanese society at that time.
zatheus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I would enjoy to see the Wheel of Time made into an anime. Unfortunately, I don't see it being a short series if they keep to the book and cut very few things, if any, out. I don't see this being one of those series that many would find entertaining though. The story is so complex and the number of characters is staggering. 12 episodes for each book would, in my opinion, allow the series to keep the details of every book intact. Plus I think this book would do better as an animation then a live action movie. They made it into a comic and I plan on looking into that soon.

The Dragonriders of Pern would be cool to see as an anime too. I found the series enjoyable and if they animated this series, they would not have to do every book to make it work. Sticking to the story of the 9th pass of the red star would be the better story. Or they could make a 3 episode ova of the book Dragonsdawn.

These are two series that I would love to see but also I will admit that if they messed with the story more then a little I would hate it probably. I read these series once a year and one of the few things I am strangely passionate about.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I have been reading The Hunger Games which occurred to me might be a good 12-episode OVA. The story comes pre-loaded with all sorts of anime tropes.

It could actually be a better anime than it is a book.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
When I read The Companions of Jehu last summer, it struck me that Alexandre Dumas’s books, full of adventures, memorable characters and witty, are great material for anime.

Adaptation of Lois McMaster Bujold’s Vorkosigan Saga is also something I would like to see animated.

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld – that may be interesting, if a good studio that puts some effort into drawing did it. I’d hate to see the beasts resemble pokemons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1