• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What're some good, non-shounen, anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeaceMaker1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
Hmm? Recommend me anything that isn't shounen.
Efan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote
You could try FLCL. It doesn't really make much sense but you'll still find it funny and entertaining. The non-sense of it makes it worth watching.
PeaceMaker1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Seen it, didn't like it.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean non-shounen? The shounen genre has a kind of broad interpretation. You think you can be a little more specific?
afnj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
What is it about shounen anime that you don't like? I've seen a lot of shounen anime and many go in different directions.

The only non-shounen anime that I have seen that I realy like is Your Under Arest. Other than that most other non-shounen are too sweet and cute for me.

Edit: oh I almost forgot about Spirited Away, a wonderful non-shounen anime movie.
Efan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
afnj wrote:
Edit: oh I almost forgot about Spirited Away, a wonderful non-shounen anime movie.

Yes and Ghibli movies are great aswell, i suggest My Neighbour Totoro. It's great if your in the joyful mood and Totoro is the most entertaining anime creature I've ever seen, I want to meet him. Anime smile
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Being a tad more specific would be nice. Do you mean shoujo in opposition to shounen, or anime that falls somewhere in between?

Without knowing the answer to that, perhaps something from CLAMP? They target a female audience, though aren't always strictly shoujo.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
You could try FLCL. It doesn't really make much sense but you'll still find it funny and entertaining. The non-sense of it makes it worth watching.

FLCL is shounen i believe

shounen as in "naruto" "flame of recca" type of shounen?

does it include other shounen like

harem shounen? "Love Hina" "Mahou sensei Negima"

or

Slice of life comedy? "azumanga Daioh"

Romantic shounen? "Ranma 1/2"
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
afnj wrote:
What is it about shounen anime that you don't like? I've seen a lot of shounen anime and many go in different directions.

The only non-shounen anime that I have seen that I realy like is Your Under Arest. Other than that most other non-shounen are too sweet and cute for me.

There are tons of titles that arnt' shonen. Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone complex and so on. People who arn't looking for shonen are probably looking for more maturish or even more intelligent type of anime. Not say that shounen title arn't intelligent, but once you seen something like Naruto, and then Bleach, and then FMA, it all messed together with the usually shonen cliche.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
If you want cute, sugary, magical girl shoujo series, check out Full Moon wo Sagashite, CardCaptor Sakura, or Sailor Moon.

Aishiteru ze Baby isn't magical girl, but it is very cute/romantic, as it deals with a high school playa who has to take care of his 5 y/o female cousin and winds up changing the way that he deals with girls his own age.

If you want more mature shoujo action fantasy series, go for Revolutionary Girl Utena (swordfights, shoujo-ai, shounen-ai, borderline incest, all kinds of relationship situations), Fushigi Yuugi (girl gets transported to another world InuYasha style and has adventures with a bevy of bishounen), and Ayashi no Ceres; by the same author as FY, with plenty of violence, romance, angst, supernatural angel/reincarnation plot.

Serious action/philosophical/weirdness: I often recommend the Yoshitoshi ABe shows, like Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, and Serial Experiments Lain. They are different from each other, but they all are slow-moving, serious stories that cause reflection on things including the nature of life, death, humanity, the world vs. fantasy worlds, spirituality, and the divine.

Texhnolyze=violence/action
Lain=Computers/virtual reality/mind warping imagery
HR=angel girls, life after death, sin, redemption, etc.

Serious, balanced romance (not really shoujo or shounen)

Koi Kaze--check the ANN reviews, it's about sibling incest, but well-done, realistic, subtle.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien--okay, this one is a bit shounen since it's based on an H-game, but it's one of my favorite romance series, and lots of people report intense emotion/sadness/crying upon watching this one, even if they're usually "hard-asses." Deals with transitions between "innocent" love and mature love, high school vs. post-high-school, and the effects of tragedy on not only the victim, but also the friends and family of the victim. (Won't say any more to avoid spoilers.)

I have to concur, simply saying "not shounen" doesn't really narrow things down; I've tried to give a list of shows that avoid the models of shounen action (Bleach, Naruto, Kenshin, DB/Z/GT) and shounen romance/comedy (Love Hina, Sister Princess, Futakoi, Negima).
sean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
I'm noticing a lot of "what's a good anime to watch" threads coming up. Can a mod make a perm list thread like top 10 and worst 10 or put something in the rules that just refers people to that thread? I don't mind answering them, but it might be easiest if for new comers to just refer them all to one place. Not trying to back seat mod here, just throwing an idea out there.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

There are tons of titles that arnt' shonen. Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone complex and so on. People who arn't looking for shonen are probably looking for more maturish or even more intelligent type of anime. Not say that shounen title arn't intelligent, but once you seen something like Naruto, and then Bleach, and then FMA, it all messed together with the usually shonen cliche.

... i've always thought those were shounen... oh wait.. seinen then?

alright i'll just think "shounen cliches"

shounen is just too general of a category...

i mean, like Death Note is shounen, but it's a mature type of manga...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
sean wrote:
I'm noticing a lot of "what's a good anime to watch" threads coming up. Can a mod make a perm list thread like top 10 and worst 10 or put something in the rules that just refers people to that thread?

I have forseen this happening months before this holiday season. With some extra money and gift options on hand, newbies unable to pick titles for themselves and/or their friends would pour in this site asking for suggestions.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1628
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11273

Those two sticky threads should be good enough for most newbies. On the other hand, most newbies just don't read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:07 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
sean wrote:
I'm noticing a lot of "what's a good anime to watch" threads coming up. Can a mod make a perm list thread like top 10 and worst 10 or put something in the rules that just refers people to that thread?

I have forseen this happening months before this holiday season. With some extra money and gift options on hand, newbies unable to pick titles for themselves and/or their friends would pour in this site asking for suggestions.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1628
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11273

Those two sticky threads should be good enough for most newbies. On the other hand, most newbies just don't read.

Problem with those threads is that every anime in existance that's even half decent gets listed at least once, better to take a few of those titles and discuss them in the open right?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
sean wrote:
I'm noticing a lot of "what's a good anime to watch" threads coming up. Can a mod make a perm list thread like top 10 and worst 10 or put something in the rules that just refers people to that thread? I don't mind answering them, but it might be easiest if for new comers to just refer them all to one place. Not trying to back seat mod here, just throwing an idea out there.

Or even better, do like a certain torrent site and have stickies for each genre, like an action sticky, a comedy sticky, a drama/romance sticky, and so on. That way, (in theory), people looking for a certain type of show can click that thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1