• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon USA Takes Over Pokemon Licensing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
I wish saying Pokemon was their best job would actually mean something, but I suppose if you were talking about, say, Jirachi Wish Maker, it shows that they can do incredible dubs when they feel like it...
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt signifigant changes, because if Pokemon is making money on a less than stellar dub why would they bother making a sub or actually investing money in acting lessons, enemas or whatever the hell the cast needs to be great (they are good now, the Pokemon dub isn't so bad as One Peice or Yugioh)?

The money is just flowing away from 4kids now. Thats the only change I predict and thats just fine with me =)

FAWHOOOSH!
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
I highly doubt signifigant changes, because if Pokemon is making money on a less than stellar dub why would they bother making a sub or actually investing money in acting lessons, enemas or whatever the hell the cast needs to be great (they are good now, the Pokemon dub isn't so bad as One Peice or Yugioh)?

The money is just flowing away from 4kids now. Thats the only change I predict and thats just fine with me =)

FAWHOOOSH!

that is true, unlike series like one piece or shaman king where there is a big fanbase wanting subs and perfect translations, pokemon doesn't have that
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:

I think that at the very least, more of the original music will be retained, as Nintendo is handling this, and most of the music comes from the video games - some cross-promotion, y'know?

I also hope that Nintendo handles the translation and adaptation in-house, because they could probably at least make the show somewhat entertaining (right now it's just mediocre).
Mukashi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
No fanbase demanding subs and perfect translations? shirokiryuu, what is it you're smoking? I want some. There is a large fandom around Pokémon which has been demanding exactly that for years, big enough that it actually supports a fansub group doing its best to do exactly that. And given that Edward_K is one of the members of said group, assuming you realise who he is, you'll know that this isn't just some little group of whingy teenagers either.

In any case....I just talked to Mike Pollock, whom people have been quoting as saying certain things in this thread (not to mention threads on Bulbagarden, SPPf, and other Pokémon forums). His AIM name has been renamed to "Mike Pollock" in the below logfor his privacy.

ArchaicEternal (14:27:46): Apologies for bothering you Mike. Got a little question for you, if that's alright. I'm sure you've already been asked this several times already, but anyway....can you confirm or deny that 4Kids will continue to be responsible for the dubbing of Pokemon post-8th season, following the recent ending of their contract to handle the licensing of the franchise in the west?
Mike Pollock (14:29:03): Since I'm not a 4Kids employee, no one's told me anything. And even if they had, I wouldn't be able to discuss it do to my Non-Disclosure agreement.
Mike Pollock (14:30:17): Tho, if I had to guess, I'd expect there'd be a similar arrangement to Sonic X where ShoPro administers the rights, and 4Kids has the TV license.
ArchaicEternal (14:31:35): I was afraid you'd say something like that. Several people have been claiming you've made statements to that effect, but I had a feeling NDA's would prohibit you from disclosing such information. I'm going to have to crack some heads I see.
*Nods* I was wondering if such an arrangement might happen myself, though given that Pokemon USA recently put up a position vacant for an Animation Director, I'm not entirely certain about that.
Mike Pollock (14:32:23): I'm just an independent contractor. I show up and read a script.
ArchaicEternal (14:33:05): I see. Well, hopefully you'll be retained post 8th season, regardless of whom is now responsible for the dubbing.
Mike Pollock (14:33:38): Thanks. I quite agree.
ArchaicEternal (14:36:18): Do you mind if I quote this conversation (with your AIM name blocked out) on some forums, to rebut the claims being made about comments you've supposedly made?
Mike Pollock (14:36:31): Sure.
ArchaicEternal (14:36:35): Thanks.
Mike Pollock (14:37:39): The only other conversation I had was the first time I ever heard about the press release in question. I glanced at it and offered the same conjecture.
ArchaicEternal (14:37:57): Do you know who that was with?
Mike Pollock (14:38:57): PokeBeachWebsite
ArchaicEternal (14:40:36): Ah, so you did talk to Water Pokemon Master. Strange...I'd better look at his posts again. I could have sworn he had been one of the people claiming you'd said that 4Kids would continue the dubbing. Perhaps he misinterpreted your conjecture as a statement of fact.
Mike Pollock (14:40:50): Yes. But of course there's really no point in me talking about stuff of which I have no knowledge. It's purely guesswork on my part.
Mike Pollock (14:41:01): I have the whole convo archived. Allow me to share....
(Shared log snipped, due to not having recieved permissions from WPM to share that)

Looks like this debate is wide open again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
I wish people would stop equating 4Kids to the actors.

The actors do not work for just 4Kids. Whether they keep the current cast or not is irrelevant regarding whoever's dubbing it.

Well, that's all I've got to chip in...
Mukashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
I wish people would stop equating 4Kids to the actors.

The actors do not work for just 4Kids. Whether they keep the current cast or not is irrelevant regarding whoever's dubbing it.

Well, that's all I've got to chip in...

If that's the case, then why the hell did you quote him as having said something on the front page, hmmm? *Smacks you*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
Mukashi, is Mike still using the same AIM username, or did he change it by chance? (Of course I could simply IM him and find out, but yeah)
Mukashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quote
I've been requested to not tell anyone what his AIM is. In fact, he's gone so far as to ask us to get everyone to not bother him about this stuff anymore. More details on Bulbagarden via the link below.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=10877
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:26 am Reply with quote
Mukashi wrote:
I've been requested to not tell anyone what his AIM is. In fact, he's gone so far as to ask us to get everyone to not bother him about this stuff anymore. More details on Bulbagarden via the link below.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=10877

You aren't the only one who does keep in contact with him, Mukashi. I do know what his aim and yims are, I was just out of curiosity, if his AIM was not changed. And yes, giving the situation he has experience, I can understand why he has pulled back on giving his aim and yim and other information out. (He told me the situation while I was talking to him a few months back.)

EDIT: Ah, I see. I just looked at the link. Apparently, someone did this again. *sigh* Sorry to hear about what happened. No wonder why Mike keeps pulling away, especialyl when people "quote" him on somehting, both without permission, and possible lies. Reminds me what happened a few months back, one involving with sonic x and such. Ah well = /
Mukashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:03 am Reply with quote
For the record, as far as that thread I linked to
Archaic = Me

The person who did this is known as Water Pokémon Master, a fairly well known and respected Pokémon webmaster. It was, unfortunatly, all an unintetional and careless error on his part, from the looks of things, with no maliciousness intended. First misinterpreting what Mike said, then in all the excitement about the news, forgetting that he hadn't asked him for permission to quote him.
gaby85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Mukashi wrote:
No fanbase demanding subs and perfect translations? shirokiryuu, what is it you're smoking? I want some. There is a large fandom around Pokémon which has been demanding exactly that for years, big enough that it actually supports a fansub group doing its best to do exactly that. And given that Edward_K is one of the members of said group, assuming you realise who he is, you'll know that this isn't just some little group of whingy teenagers either.

In any case....I just talked to Mike Pollock, whom people have been quoting as saying certain things in this thread (not to mention threads on Bulbagarden, SPPf, and other Pokémon forums). His AIM name has been renamed to "Mike Pollock" in the below logfor his privacy.

ArchaicEternal (14:27:46): Apologies for bothering you Mike. Got a little question for you, if that's alright. I'm sure you've already been asked this several times already, but anyway....can you confirm or deny that 4Kids will continue to be responsible for the dubbing of Pokemon post-8th season, following the recent ending of their contract to handle the licensing of the franchise in the west?
Mike Pollock (14:29:03): Since I'm not a 4Kids employee, no one's told me anything. And even if they had, I wouldn't be able to discuss it do to my Non-Disclosure agreement.
Mike Pollock (14:30:17): Tho, if I had to guess, I'd expect there'd be a similar arrangement to Sonic X where ShoPro administers the rights, and 4Kids has the TV license.
ArchaicEternal (14:31:35): I was afraid you'd say something like that. Several people have been claiming you've made statements to that effect, but I had a feeling NDA's would prohibit you from disclosing such information. I'm going to have to crack some heads I see.
*Nods* I was wondering if such an arrangement might happen myself, though given that Pokemon USA recently put up a position vacant for an Animation Director, I'm not entirely certain about that.
Mike Pollock (14:32:23): I'm just an independent contractor. I show up and read a script.
ArchaicEternal (14:33:05): I see. Well, hopefully you'll be retained post 8th season, regardless of whom is now responsible for the dubbing.
Mike Pollock (14:33:38): Thanks. I quite agree.
ArchaicEternal (14:36:18): Do you mind if I quote this conversation (with your AIM name blocked out) on some forums, to rebut the claims being made about comments you've supposedly made?
Mike Pollock (14:36:31): Sure.
ArchaicEternal (14:36:35): Thanks.
Mike Pollock (14:37:39): The only other conversation I had was the first time I ever heard about the press release in question. I glanced at it and offered the same conjecture.
ArchaicEternal (14:37:57): Do you know who that was with?
Mike Pollock (14:38:57): PokeBeachWebsite
ArchaicEternal (14:40:36): Ah, so you did talk to Water Pokemon Master. Strange...I'd better look at his posts again. I could have sworn he had been one of the people claiming you'd said that 4Kids would continue the dubbing. Perhaps he misinterpreted your conjecture as a statement of fact.
Mike Pollock (14:40:50): Yes. But of course there's really no point in me talking about stuff of which I have no knowledge. It's purely guesswork on my part.
Mike Pollock (14:41:01): I have the whole convo archived. Allow me to share....
(Shared log snipped, due to not having recieved permissions from WPM to share that)

Looks like this debate is wide open again.

What fandom? Internet fans and International fans don't count as the target audience. 6yr olds hardly know how to read, you think they will be claiming subs.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Mukashi wrote:
If that's the case, then why the hell did you quote him as having said something on the front page, hmmm? *Smacks you*

Why the hell does that even matter?

What I said was that according to him, the actors would be staying (which I guess has proven to be false). That does NOT equate anywhere to saying that 4Kids would still be working on it, if that's what you were getting at (especially considering how I went on about Nintendo dubbing it RIGHT AFTER).

*smacks you and walks away*
Mukashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
gaby85 wrote:
What fandom? Internet fans and International fans don't count as the target audience. 6yr olds hardly know how to read, you think they will be claiming subs.

Nintendo is quite well aware from their running the Pokémon TCG that the 15 and over demographic is huge amongst their fans. 6 year olds haven't been the target audience in many many years. Perhaps you should lose your preconceptions of the franchise only being for kids.

Yashouzoid wrote:
Mukashi wrote:

Why the hell does that even matter?

What I said was that according to him, the actors would be staying (which I guess has proven to be false). That does NOT equate anywhere to saying that 4Kids would still be working on it, if that's what you were getting at (especially considering how I went on about Nintendo dubbing it RIGHT AFTER).

*smacks you and walks away*

Except he never said that to begin with. He only had speculuation, no firm confirmation of any facts.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Mukashi wrote:
Except he never said that to begin with. He only had speculuation, no firm confirmation of any facts.

Here's the thing - what RELEVANCE did that have to my post?

Me: 4Kids =/= Actors.
You: ZOMG YOU QUOTED MIKE POLLOCK, YOU SUCK.

Hey, maybe you should - I dunno - post something that has to do with what you've quoted? It'd clear up a lot of confusion, and also make you look like less of a retard. I'm sorry I misunderstood what he said, but refrain from being a dick about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6