• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romantic Killer (ONA).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Romantic Killer (ONA)

Source: Manga (completed @ 4 Volumes, by Wataru Momose)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: DOMERICA

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, supernatural

Themes: parody, reverse harem

Plot Summary: Anzu Hoshino has no interest in romance. Her three loves in life are video games, chocolate, and her cat. After starting a new otome game, Anzu discovers that she has fallen into a trap set by Riri, a wizard who claims to be a "love cupid." Due to Japan's declining birth rate, Riri has been sent to put Anzu through otome-game-like scenarios with a number of handsome guys, in the hopes that she will fall in love. Anzu wants nothing to do with it, but Riri has taken her "three loves" hostage with magic, so she must play along for now.

Air Date & Platform:
October 27, 2022 (Thursday)
Available on: Netflix

Episode Count / Runtime: 12
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 1:47 pm Reply with quote
This is a reverse anti harem romcom that is a soul sister of Tomo-Chan.
I didn't have a clue what to expect and can't even remember why I tried it but a MC who is only interested in cats and video games quickly became one of my favorite characters in memory.

Azuna is normal. She's not broken or missing anything. She just knows what she wants the most and is dedicated to it. And with outside interference her priorities are challenged. But she is who she is and it'd delightful to watch.

If you haven't seen it yet I encourage you to pop over to Netflix and give it a twirl.

Without going into any spoilers I must say I kept waiting for the show to give in and disappoint me in some fundamental way. But it really did remain engaging and enjoyable. I'm sure it won't be for everyone. The MC may not be relatable for everyone. But she's going to connect with a lot of people.

And the animation they do with her face to express her emotions cracked me up. Letting her inner barbarian, etc, come out visually was a surprise that I came to look forward to.

Not sure how Netflix landed this one but I hope they keep doing more of this caliber. I'm giving it an 8+/10 and may go back and rewatch it soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1