• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan to Use Anime to Buff Its Image in China

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidsolid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:38 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
Dragon Ball Z is pretty popular in China.

Jackie Chan himself is a huge DBZ fan.

Good to see that China is on the right foot as India is.
shikatamasu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

There are Chinese invitations asking Hiroshi Motomiya to republish his complete, uncensored version of Kuni ga Moeru. He knows, however, that if he agrees then he'll be exiled from the Japanese publishing industry.

It amazes me how ignorant I have become when it pertains to the political circus the world has become. And the funny thing, (although it is not a "funny" issue), is that I have read and learned some very disturbing, but truthful, and passionately related facts about a portion of Japan's population that is in denial of the history of WWII. And I learned it all on ANN. About the money to be spent on Japan's promotion of their Anime and manga industry, I would rather see it redirected toward some hard core therapeutical interaction with those who be in power within Japan, not just governmental authorites...and I won't hold my breath. At least I can rest easy knowing that the U.S. isn't the only country to "re-write" history. Maybe this will be a small step toward repairing the historical hostilites within the Asian world.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Germany is in friendly terms now with those countries it had once invaded during WWII. However, what if German government suddenly allows republishing Mein Kampf and similar books describing "filthy neighbors like Czech, Poland, Austria, and France" and revises textbooks into "Nazi party made a lot of efforts revitalizing German economy" while ignoring damages they've done way before the war had begun? All neighboring European countries, plus USA and Israel, would start critisizing or even an embargo.

Good point. Japan is just wasting time and money with this PR nonsense, IMO. Actions speak louder than any PR campaign ever could. The PM should quit paying his respects to war criminals and the history books should be revised to give an unflinching eye's view of the past, from all reasonable angles.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I also believe it'll take more than that to buff Japan's image. I know that both countries have all sorts of stupid things such as white-washing textbooks and those anti-Korean/Chinese manga. Apology is one thing, but actually being sincere in the apology is another. Anyway, the government of Japan doesn't need to promote anime in China. It's probably already been promoted ad nauseum. You can see anime almost everywhere, legit or not. If this "plan" is actually put to work, then somebody's job is a sinecure.

Y' know, I wonder if either country's government has wondered why Germany seems to be getting along fine, while that other section of the world is still having conflicts. Rolling Eyes And I swear we don't just like Germany for the chocolate.

Just quit trying to pretend things didn't happen, and be done with it. I know it's not this simple, but a lot of the conflicts seem so... childish.
DarkMirage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
The atrocities don't actually matter anymore. What really matters to the governments of both countries is how to keep their people ignorant and happy.

The Chinese government is really only making use of this as a red herring to distract the people from its horrendous lack of transparency and its world-class corruption. Stirring up anti-Japanese sentiments is a great way to build up nationalistic feelings and keep the mob occupied so they don't turn against the government. There are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of protests against the central government in various parts of rural China every YEAR, but only the anti-Japanese ones are covered by the media and not brutally surpressed. Those protests are eventually going to build up to a democratic revolution... unless the government does something. It does something by redirecting the people's fustration elsewhere.

Sure, it COULD do something about the widespread corruption that deprives farmers of their homes to make way for huge factories, but it's much simpler to throw a red herring by bringing in 60-year-old hatred and letting some morons smash up some Japanese chain retail stores (that are owned by Chinese businessmen in the first place).

I was born in Nanjing (formerly romanized as Nanking), which lent its name to the infamous Rape of Nanking during which hundreds of thousands of people were raped and murdered by the invading Japanese army. My mother's generation all served in the army and worked in farms during the Cultural Revolution (so-called "re-education") and one of my uncle is a civil servant in the fields of education right now. Everytime I visit China, I am simply AMAZED, not by the high-rise buildings popping up everywhere, but by how CORRUPTED the goddamn system is, right from the foundation up. With connections and money, you can get permission to evict people from their houses, exploiting protected natural resources, getting a high school diploma, buying a great apartment on prime land and just about EVERYTHING else.

I don't hate Japan or its people today. Sure, I'm annoyed that the Japanese government has a policy of sticking to their mistakes no matter what for the sake of not appearing weak (but then again, so has George W Bush), but I'm not an idiot who throws rocks at cars or hate the whole of Japan for that. Especially not when I've read some Chinese history textbook and saw what we ourselves have been whitewashing. Great Leap Forward my ass.

On an unrelated note, America was quite directly responsible for Japan's present-day attitude towards WWII. Instead of holding high profile trials like the Nuremberg or denouncing the evils of the Imperial Army like what they did to Nazism in Germany, Japanese war criminals were handled quietly and almost the entire system was left intact for the sake of stability, so that Japan could post a sufficient threat against the Next Great Evil: Soviet Union. In a sense, if we are going to play the blame game, America ENCOURAGED Japan to forget about the war for her self interest.
tropical

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I think anything that is being done to better relations is good. Liek they say kids are the future only they can change the generational pattern.
Mroni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
To shut up the rest of the world all Japan would have to say is sorry for lieing about history in our textbooks it's not that hard. According to some of the Japanese text books President roosevelt started the war with japan to look better at home. Korea asked to be invaded. Korean and chinese women were never used as prostritutes etc etc etc. Ok yes this was 60 years ago and Japan has changed alot. So just get it over with once Japan and then start shipping manga and anime and You won't ever hear about it again.

Mr Oni
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2