• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Katanagatari, Arakawa Under the Bridge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
Dammit. Just, dammit all. I hate NIS, so much

Never understood the hate. Shouldn't the hate be directed at Funimation or Section 23 for not providing you with what you want?
As has been intimated before on the podcasts, Funimation has first chance at just about everything. Their decision is what has you upset.

It is like yelling at the cat because the beloved dog soiled the carpet.

Haters gonna hate.

Quote:
entai does terrible dubs. Have you heard Ghost Hound and the clips that they put out for High School of the Dead?

From the clips I heard from HSOTD it sounds fine to me. Their Clannad dub was great too.

Quote:
Funi puts out stuff in crappy sleeves that always are bent up, banged up and have the ink peeling off upon arrival. On top of that, you'd be lucky to even get a one page flyer listing the episodes/chapter with a Funi release. Compare that to NISA's 30+ page full color art books and super high quality packaging.

Never had a problem with Funi's packing. I would like to see more extras myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Iridescent_Fall wrote:
Maybe if the dub-only buyers would pick up these sets, they could support future dubbing efforts. ...
... but probably not. Seems more plausible they wait until the dubbing licensees ~ and the maybe dub maybe not licensee ~ have passed and then pick up series they think they can sell reasonably well as a sub release with some extras.

Is there any evidence that they play the "sell the sub and if the sales show promise a dub will pay for itself, release as a hybrid" game that Section23 plays?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
I saw this news, I did not expect this to get picked up. But BD? What about a regular release?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
What do you mean by, "regular release?" Both of the announced sets are going to be in the now-standard NISA over-sized box with artbook format. The only difference is that these will ship with both BDs and DVDs (presumably in two 2-disc slim cases). Isn't that a win/win situation?

(BTW, with my GotAnime? discount, I'm getting my Katanagatari set for ~$45 with free shipping -- not bad for a NISA release Smile )
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
What do you mean by, "regular release?" Both of the announced sets are going to be in the now-standard NISA over-sized box with artbook format. The only difference is that these will ship with both BDs and DVDs (presumably in two 2-disc slim cases). Isn't that a win/win situation?

(BTW, with my GotAnime? discount, I'm getting my Katanagatari set for ~$45 with free shipping -- not bad for a NISA release Smile )

Well that's what I meant, usually when I say regular I mean one that's not BD. I must've missed that. I'm really excited about the release. So I'm definitely picking this up. How is NIS USA's record on their releases? As far as subtitling and stuff.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Compare that to NISA's 30+ page full color art books and super high quality packaging.

I'm so glad I'm surrounded by anime fans who feels the justified price point is necessary to encompass a pretty book (which will get read once if its lucky), and paper box which looks good on a shelf to them while the rest of us scratch our heads wondering why we're being punished by having to wait to spend our money now on a lower-priced product.

The simplest compromise: sell this shit on the side. Then, those who really want it can buy it in addition to the low cost box set everyone wants to buy.

Otherwise, all this stupidity does is propagate the windowing issue that's killing an industry losing its buying market to alternatives like Crunchyroll and Netflix, just to name two.

I'm not sure why the hell this industry doesn't want my $40, but hey, I can wait. We'll see how long they can for my $40.

Consider me part of the minority who'd rather spread $120 amongst three companies than give it to one, but hey... enjoy the book.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
Compare that to NISA's 30+ page full color art books and super high quality packaging.

I'm so glad I'm surrounded by anime fans who feels the justified price point is necessary to encompass a pretty book (which will get read once if its lucky), and paper box which looks good on a shelf to them while the rest of us scratch our heads wondering why we're being punished by having to wait to spend our money now on a lower-priced product.

The simplest compromise: sell this shit on the side. Then, those who really want it can buy it in addition to the low cost box set everyone wants to buy.

Otherwise, all this stupidity does is propagate the windowing issue that's killing an industry losing its buying market to alternatives like Crunchyroll and Netflix, just to name two.

I'm not sure why the hell this industry doesn't want my $40, but hey, I can wait. We'll see how long they can for my $40.

Consider me part of the minority who'd rather spread $120 amongst three companies than give it to one, but hey... enjoy the book.

Some of us do like that stuff. Which I am not against your opinion. Since I have not seen either of these shows, I will not be purchasing them at this time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Crying about price and getting nice extras/packaging.

You can always just wait until they do the normal release for cheap. Premium Editions, which these are clearly marked and labeled as, come at a premium price. If you don't want it, don't buy it and wait for the standard edition to come out in a year or so.

Contrary to what you said, I think people upset about anything costing more than $40 probably hurts the industry far more than NISA releasing premium editions.

Plus, this isn't all that more expensive than a lot of other BD releases. Stuff like Shikabane Hime debuted in DVD only and a barebones package for like $40 per part. Katanagatari has about the same running time, is Blu-ray & DVD in one box, actually has noticeable extras in a nice 32 page hardcover art book, comes in a nice package and is only like $12 more. That's far from the terrible deal you make it out to be.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

IMO, chasing the 'want it now and cheap' market is a bad idea. Especially for more niche titles. Such people have probably already moved on to other, cheaper means, legal or otherwise. Maybe you're the exception, but mostly, if someone is still buying physical media it's because they like the packaging. I know that's why I buy it still. I'd much rather spend 120 on a nice set for the show I really like and then just stream the other two for free instead of dropping 40 each on something I'm unsatisfied with in one case and don't even want in the two other cases. So to me, you're better off catering to those people with your physical media release and then picking up the rest via the other options you mentioned.
AntztheGreat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:52 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

IMO, chasing the 'want it now and cheap' market is a bad idea. Especially for more niche titles. Such people have probably already moved on to other, cheaper means, legal or otherwise. Maybe you're the exception, but mostly, if someone is still buying physical media it's because they like the packaging. I know that's why I buy it still. I'd much rather spend 120 on a nice set for the show I really like and then just stream the other two for free instead of dropping 40 each on something I'm unsatisfied with in one case and don't even want in the two other cases. So to me, you're better off catering to those people with your physical media release and then picking up the rest via the other options you mentioned.

They could also get both the 'want it now and cheap' and 'please sell me expensive stuff' markets at the same time by releasing a regular edition alongside the premium edition. They don't have to release both at the same time. I doubt anyone would be terribly upset about waiting a month for a regular edition. This really isn't that hard to figure out.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
How is NIS USA's record on their releases? As far as subtitling and stuff.

So far I've only picked up ToraDora!, so I can't speak for the other releases. The ToraDora! translation and subtitles were farmed out to MX Media, which I believe is responsible for most of CrunchyRoll's translations. As I understand it, MX has a reputation for hiring heavily from the fansubbing community and undercutting more established, professional translators.

As for the ToraDora! subs, they were fine, overall. My complaints about them were pretty much over the licenses taken by the translator, resulting in a script that was a bit more liberal at times than I would like. The most egregious issue was that a speech affectation was added to one of the characters that didn't exist in the original dialog. There wasn't anything that would keep me from buying future NISA releases (or cancel my CR subscription).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
So far, I have experience with two NISA subs: about 18 eppies of Persona: Trinity Soul and 18 for Our Home's Fox Deity. As somebody who doesn't speak Japanese, I am obviously in no position to comment on the fidelity of the subtitles to what is being spoken, but I can tell you the subs seem to be pretty error free. The subs for Persona are standard, meat'n'potato writing that doesn't stand out in any particular way, but doesn't poop the bed either. The subtitles for Our Home's Fox Deity are great. The series is basically a comedy and the subtitles do a good job of conveying humorous dialogue. So, all in all, my experience with NISA subtitles has been a good one.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
AntztheGreat wrote:
They could also get both the 'want it now and cheap' and 'please sell me expensive stuff' markets at the same time by releasing a regular edition alongside the premium edition. They don't have to release both at the same time. I doubt anyone would be terribly upset about waiting a month for a regular edition. This really isn't that hard to figure out.

They should definitely do a cheap version at some point. I agree with you there. The thing is, you might as well wait on that. As I said, you've probably already lost the people who just want to see it quickly and cheaply simply because streams/downloads are always going to be cheaper and quicker than physical media. Now, of course, I do think there is a good chunk of people who don't really care about speed or have already seen the show. These are the people that might say "Sure, I wouldn't mind owning a copy of this show for $30" whenever it turns up on shelves. So yes, I hope they do follow up with a cheap version at some point to get in on that market. For now though, I think it makes more sense to target the collector's market and encourage the purchase of the premium edition by holding off on the standard edition.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
When the first volume of Toradora sold out, they did mention that there would be regular editions, so it's probably safe to assume every show will get the same treatment. Of course, if I was someone who wanted an RE from the beginning, but bought the LE because all there was, I'd be incredibly pissed off since an RE was never mentioned.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
For now though, I think it makes more sense to target the collector's market and encourage the purchase of the premium edition by holding off on the standard edition.

This wasn't the position you took regarding the $600 box set from Aniplex recently. In fact, you went out of your way to defend your position on why you feel it was a rip-off while stating a lower-priced version should be made available.

So, which is it? Target the rich and screw the poor or offer both products to the market at the same time?

Consider me in disagreement with your opinion. I'm a firm believer a distributor offering two products at different price points will not find a lack of an audience of those who want to spend $120 on an art book.

Especially when there's an audience who is paying for sub-quality subtitle only products at a price point which makes no sense other than to capitalize on those who can't wait.

One of these days, perhaps we'll all see a distributor make this choice of at least one or two series to see if there's any validity people will buy more, faster, at a lower price point which exceeds the overall revenues earned by those who are now letting the collector's editions of Lucky Star collect dust on retailers shelves around the country.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8