• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKong

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
Since I have noticed that the Japanese version of Fullmetal Alchemist is Hagane no Renkinjutsushi, I wonder that that Japanese title translates to in English?

Also, there is something that is concerning me of the main protagonist Edward Elric throughout the series. If anyone at anytime refers Ed as a short person, Ed will always get pissed off each time it happens. What is the problem about being small? I don't see why Ed finds it a big deal unless they are making fun of him which some didn't mean it like that. Regardless, Ed is furious about it even if it is a prank or not.

Some answers might help.
crow-kun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
1. Alchemist of Steel, but it is called Fullmetal Alchemist because Hiromu Arakawa says so.

2. It's called having a inferiority complex.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
It's often called Hagaren for short. Much like Kare Kano, Saikano, Gin Ei Den, and all those other really long titled series.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote
Ed's reactions to being called small are primarily comic relief, much like the antics of Major Armstrong. They're there to soften the mood and prevent the series from spiraling down in to an angst filled superdrama. It's not really meant to be taken seriously, it may be an actual developed facet of his personality but it's exaggerated for the sake of comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:29 am Reply with quote
i think that his height was explain as being related to the weight of his automail arm and leg, the source of the title. so he has stayed almost the same height since the grafting
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
FMA is great, but from what I see they wanted to make it intresting to younger audiance as well, so there is lots of comic releif injected to it, even at some very serious plot element.
but really, FMA could be a serious seinen serries with really heavy mood and all.
Well, since its not, it makes it unique
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
Actually...There are some things not suited for children... That's why it's rated T (at least in the Encyclopedia)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
near the end of the series, i think the last several episodes, there are no comedic elements at all, because the plot had gotten to a point where it would have been both pointless and a little stupid
Epinephrine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Are there 51 or 52 episodes? When AS finished there run this time, there was an episode that didn't air in the previous run where Al resurected Ed and Ed resurected Al. The previous run on Adult swim ended when Envy killed Ed. Whats the deal?

Last edited by Epinephrine on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
1. It translates literally to "Steel Alchemist" or the "Alchemist of Steel." I think that Fullmetal was a better choice of words though, and I'm glad Arakawa Hiromu chose that because it's more catchy for the title of a series.

2. I'm short, and after the five thousandth comment about your height, believe me, it becomes a little annoying, especially when it causes you to look younger than your age, hence, people sometimes not taking you seriously enough. I don't think there's a need to get furious over it, but it's irksome. I suppose that might just be a character or personality trait of Edward's that he gets so upset about it.
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Kyuriko wrote:

2. I'm short, and after the five thousandth comment about your height, believe me, it becomes a little annoying, especially when it causes you to look younger than your age, hence, people sometimes not taking you seriously enough. I don't think there's a need to get furious over it, but it's irksome. I suppose that might just be a character or personality trait of Edward's that he gets so upset about it.

Also, I'd be pretty pissed off if someone mistook my little brother for me, a powerful State Alchemist, just because he's so much taller than me.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Epinephrine wrote:
Are there 51 or 52 episodes? When AS finished there run this time, there was an episode that didn't air in the previous run where Al resurected Ed and Ed resurected Al. The previous run on Adult swim ended when Envy killed Ed. Whats the deal?

There are 51 episodes, the last episode involving spoiler[Alphonse resurrecting Edward by sacrificing himself. Ed is upset by this, so he uses himself and Al's memories of their time since attemting to bring back their mother in a transmutation to restore Al, and his human body. Ed ends up on the other side of the gate, which is our world, circa 1921 in Munich, Germany. Al ends up in his own world as a 10 year old boy with no memory of his travels with his his brother. He goes to train with Izumi once again, wanting to gain more alchemic knowledge so he can find his brother. Edward also wants to return to Alphonse, and is leaving to study rocketry, which he think may lead him to his own world. The last scene in the series is of the Elric brothers reaching out to the sky, Ed on a train to meet a professor, Al on a train to train with Izumi in Dublith, vowing to find each other. Oh, and Roy kills Pride and loses an eye, and Gluttony eats Dante! Twisted Evil ] This episode did air on [as], albeit with a warning for its extra violence (spoiler[Which mostly comes from Roy and Pride's fight])
goins007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Epinephrine wrote:

They didn't air the last episode for some reason. The night it was supposed to air CN aired the first episode and just kept going.
Epinephrine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
goins007 wrote:
Epinephrine wrote:

They didn't air the last episode for some reason. The night it was supposed to air CN aired the first episode and just kept going.

Thats what I remember. I thought it was a rather lame ending as far as Ed dying and then nothing but I figured it was set up that way for the movie. Then I watched it all the way through again to find out I was jipped an episode. Man AS pisses me off!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
i think that his height was explain as being related to the weight of his automail arm and leg, the source of the title. so he has stayed almost the same height since the grafting
I don't think that's why because there was one episode where Ed went back to Resembool to get his automail repaired and Pinako had to make a new leg for Ed because he was getting taller and Ed does get taller in the movie. I think Ed getting pissed about people making fun of his height is a cultural thing in Japan. In Japan, short girls are considered to be cuter than tall girls, hence why you'll often see many tall anime girls angsting over their height. Perhaps it's similar for guys as well that maybe tall guys are considered to be more attractive than short guys, so while height might not be a big deal over here, maybe it's taken more seriously in Japan. Of course, I'm no expert on Japanese culture, so this is all just an educated guess. And to be more precise, there are 51 televised episodes of FMA, 1 recap special, and 3 OVA shorts.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17