• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Star Trek Actor Petitions Against Akira 'Whitewashing'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizardz199

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone say The Last Airbender? Seriously Shyamalan did the same thing with Avatar: The Last Airbender by whitewashing it's characters and everyone (unfortunately) has seen the result. Please do not decimate the classic of Akira!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meanwhile, Japan seemingly releases new (mostly) non-canon One Piece movies, Conan movies, Pokemon, Precure, etc. every year for like 10 straight years, so those are kinda reboots. Confused

Those are nothing like reboots, they are exactly what you said - "non-canon" movies that get a yearly release.

On the subject of whitewashing and Hollywood's creativity all I have to say is Dragonball:Evolution.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
wizardz199 wrote:
Can anyone say The Last Airbender? Seriously Shyamalan did the same thing with Avatar: The Last Airbender by whitewashing it's characters and everyone (unfortunately) has seen the result. Please do not decimate the classic of Akira!

"Whitewashing" the three main characters of that movie with kids with questionable acting skills was the smallest problem with why that movie failed as entertainment. If anything the written story and dialogue killed it. It was bad before those white kids uttered a single line. Asian kids (or I should say an Asian kid and two Native Americans) would not have saved it.

And to those dissing the Speed Racer movie - STFU. If you think it's a crappy movie what the heck were you expecting from a movie based off Speed Racer? I've never seen a movie try to be as much of a live action anime as Speed Racer was, and I love it for it. Sure the main cast was Caucasian, but John Goodman WAS Pops, Japanese or not.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
And to those dissing the Speed Racer movie - STFU. If you think it's a crappy movie what the heck were you expecting from a movie based off Speed Racer?

Horrible dubbing/crappy synchronization....cheesy lines.......campyness from the 60's......the feeling of the 60's......

Oh wait, pass the illegal drugs.

Nope, still not feeling the 60's vibe.

And on a related note.....a gay person that many gays hate interviews Takei about the hullabaloo.

Of course, Sankaku Complex pretty much sums up why Akira will never work:

Quote:
Of course, from the perspective of actual Asians (most of whom hate each other) rather than the happily undifferentiated “Asian” Americans, the prospect of seeing a bunch of Chinese and Korean actors play faux-Japanese in a Hollywood production may be even less appealing than seeing a bunch of big-name Caucasian actors in any case…
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
OMG Robert Pattinson WILL ruin Akira if he is in it! NOOO HELL NOOO! He can't act for shiiiieeeetttt
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Or you are in fact a fan of animation and simply don't care about such things as "american animation," "anime," or "show aimed at girls". All you're doing is simply claiming that anime blows american animation out of the water without explaining why. There are some talented people working in anime, but the same is true for American animation, Greg Weisman has proven himself to be a genius many times over, and Lauren Faust has shown that she wants to make the best program she can, and doesn't care what anyone thinks.
That's what I mean. It's fine to say you're an animation fan. I am too. I just feel America hasn't made anything worth seeing in years (in terms of television animation). Looking at what some people do say they like, it just seems they're lowering their standards just for the ability to say they like shows from many countries in some attempt to look 'indie' or 'cultured'. Why do I like anime more? It should be obvious, they have better variety and writing and are more prepared to anime things America would never even dream of. I have no problem liking shows from other countries (Beast Wars was awesome) but I'm not going to lower my standards to say the stuff on CN or Nick these days is actually quality work.

As for those two people Weisman is really.. bad. It's become more and more obvious over the years; he reuses the same character archetypes in every show and he had terrible pacing problems, and he never gives his shows endings (granted, 99% of American animation doesn't get endings, and he seems to only make superhero shows these days which also never end in the comics, but still). Gargoyles is his best work, but I think part of that is it came on when we were kids and before we saw anime so it seemed like something new that animation could actually have serious moments (which was unheard of in America at the time; but has been done in America decades prior)

Lauren Faust, well, her resume is terrible, but she only made one show, not sure why you're listing her. Women tend to get the shaft in American animation since channels don't like marketing towards girls, where as there's tons of great shows in Japan created by women. More power to her I suppose, but I won't bank on it just by how sexist the television industry is here.

enurtsol wrote:
There's only been a few TMNT series all-time, and certainly not a new one every other year. The latest ones are really just continuations of the TMNT 2k3 version anyways.

Nickelodeon is also making a new one this year.

Quote:
As for Batman or Superman or Justice League animation etc., there's no "original versions" of them in the first place. Goodness knows there's so many versions of the comics. There's really no original to follow - it's just the nature of the franchise to have different versions; they're not reboots.

That's my point, they'll milk the Batman character for 50+ years in dozens of cartoons and live-action movies. I'd say they're reboots since they're almost always the same thing of 'Batman fighting Joker, Penguin, etc'). Spider-Man's getting a reboot movie series, Hulk got one, apparently Daredevil will get one as well pretty soon. Is it really that hard to end the Batman franchise with Nolan's movies? Or just make one Batman cartoon?

Quote:
Meanwhile, Japan seemingly releases new (mostly) non-canon One Piece movies, Conan movies, Pokemon, Precure, etc. every year for like 10 straight years, so those are kinda reboots. Confused
They're not reboots, they're just movies, set in the universe of the show as an extension with bigger budgets, which is what The Last Airbender should have been. Even if I'm not a fan of Avatar I can at least admit that much. I'd wager the fans would have killed to see a multi-million dollar budget theatrical movie like Naruto and One Piece get. That's what a lot of American movies based on shows should be, honestly. Anytime they decide to do a Hollywood movie based on a cartoon, it's some live-action adaption like Garfield, Chipmunks, Underdog, Avatar, or whatever else they've made. Traditional animation is kind of dead in theaters through, so they're rare, and executives feel animation is solely for kids (unless it's Disney or Pixar or whatever) , so they use live-action for those movies in an attempt to hook a wider audience. I think the last one was either Simpsons or Spongebob. Image's Astro Boy movie I'll say is unique in the fact it didn't try to be a live-action adaption. It wasn't all that great, but it's better than any live action version would have been I would bet.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
And to those dissing the Speed Racer movie - STFU. If you think it's a crappy movie what the heck were you expecting from a movie based off Speed Racer? I've never seen a movie try to be as much of a live action anime as Speed Racer was, and I love it for it. Sure the main cast was Caucasian, but John Goodman WAS Pops, Japanese or not.

Speed Racer is solidified in American pop culture as a fast talking poorly dubbed cartoon.. now, how about Mach Go Go? I would assume it didn't have the problems Speed Racer did so it can't rely on 'cheese factor' or nostalgia. It'd be like making a live-action movie based on Robotech rather than Macross or Mospeda. I don't think the dub's cheese should be intentional in an adaption of Mach Go Go.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Or you are in fact a fan of animation and simply don't care about such things as "american animation," "anime," or "show aimed at girls". All you're doing is simply claiming that anime blows american animation out of the water without explaining why. There are some talented people working in anime, but the same is true for American animation, Greg Weisman has proven himself to be a genius many times over, and Lauren Faust has shown that she wants to make the best program she can, and doesn't care what anyone thinks.

That's what I mean. It's fine to say you're an animation fan. I am too. I just feel America hasn't made anything worth seeing in years (in terms of television animation). Looking at what some people do say they like, it just seems they're lowering their standards just for the ability to say they like shows from many countries in some attempt to look 'indie' or 'cultured'.

On the contrary, a lot of people are forgiving a lot of anime's faults.

TitanXL wrote:

Why do I like anime more? It should be obvious, they have better variety and writing and are more prepared to anime things America would never even dream of.

Everyone works within some constraints. It's what you do within those constraints that makes it great. For instance, anime could never do a proper current social satire to save its life. You won't see the talents the likes of Colbert Report there.

TitanXL wrote:

I have no problem liking shows from other countries (Beast Wars was awesome) but I'm not going to lower my standards to say the stuff on CN or Nick these days is actually quality work.

90% of anything is crap; it's just that that 90% is different to different people. But if you don't watch enough of anything, it'll be harder to find that 10%.

TitanXL wrote:

As for those two people Weisman is really.. bad. It's become more and more obvious over the years; he reuses the same character archetypes in every show and he had terrible pacing problems, and he never gives his shows endings

Weisman also directed the 2nd season of W.I.T.C.H., which is the best shoujo series that was on American TV in the last several years.

TitanXL wrote:

Lauren Faust, well, her resume is terrible, but she only made one show, not sure why you're listing her.

Not really a fan of Faust, but she was the main one responsible for Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and that's pretty good.

TitanXL wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
There's only been a few TMNT series all-time, and certainly not a new one every other year. The latest ones are really just continuations of the TMNT 2k3 version anyways.

Nickelodeon is also making a new one this year.

We'll see how that turns out.

TitanXL wrote:

Quote:
As for Batman or Superman or Justice League animation etc., there's no "original versions" of them in the first place. Goodness knows there's so many versions of the comics. There's really no original to follow - it's just the nature of the franchise to have different versions; they're not reboots.

That's my point, they'll milk the Batman character for 50+ years in dozens of cartoons and live-action movies. I'd say they're reboots since they're almost always the same thing of 'Batman fighting Joker, Penguin, etc'). Spider-Man's getting a reboot movie series, Hulk got one, apparently Daredevil will get one as well pretty soon. Is it really that hard to end the Batman franchise with Nolan's movies? Or just make one Batman cartoon?

Hey, so long as the likes of Bruce Timm or Paul Dini (who was also story editor of the early seasons of everyone's favorite Lost, BTW) still control the DCAU (DC Animated Universe), they could make as many DCAUs as far as I'm concerned. As long as the stories are good, I don't care if they reuse superheroes. People get to see different sides of them that are normally not seen. Like Batman singing (and not as a joke); that's like Kenshin singing for reals. Laughing

TitanXL wrote:

Quote:

They're not reboots, they're just movies, set in the universe of the show as an extension with bigger budgets,

Some of them are kinda reboots because some re-tell similar stories in the TV series but as alternate storylines. Think of the movies as a 3-episode season bunched together.

Definitely Precure has it, Pokemon kinda because it tells the same stories but with a different set of characters and Pokemons (especially the latest one where Ash seems to have been dumbed down and forgot -even more- what he learned in previous seasons), Negima reboots, Fullmetal Alchemist (albeit for good reason, but some of the DCAU reboots are for good reasons too), Black Butler jumbled its 2 seasons like it, Fullmetal Panic has its alternate incarnations, etc. So yeah, it happens. It's just that fans go ga-ga over it and don't think about it or in some cases, pray for reboots.

TitanXL wrote:

Traditional animation is kind of dead in theaters through,

Yeah, though John Lasseter is trying to bring it back. Pixar will handle the 3D animation, while Disney Animation will handle traditional animation.

That doesn't mean 3D animation can't do what traditional animation can. It's just a tool, like any other. It's up to the talent to make it work. (BTW, anime still can't do proper 3D animation. They can't do in 3D animation what they can do very well in traditional animation. The talent is still not there yet.)

TitanXL wrote:

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Speed Racer is solidified in American pop culture as a fast talking poorly dubbed cartoon.. now, how about Mach Go Go?

The live-action Speed Racer is not based on Mach Go Go Go though.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
To me there is nothing more ironic than an anime fan claiming all American television animation is crap while at the same time supporting an industry where the majority of stuff their air on television is completely and utterly forgettable – reused and recycled - not to mention sexist - crap.

I also can’t help but find the criticism of American animation using common archetypes pure hilarity when Japan is equally as guilty in using them. You know why? They’re a universal story tool – and the more you look at any character in any type of story – the easier it is to link them to an archetype.

And to suggest on pure assumption that original Japanese Speed Racer animation – I’m sorry, I should call it Mach Go Go because they’re two completely different entities like Robotech is to Macross (they aren’t – the only real edit was toning down some violence) was superior in everything from story to character development, to even setting because it wasn’t dubbed by Americans - this suggestion is obviously coming from some misinformed elitist instinct.

Mach Go Go or Speed Racer – whichever you prefer to call it, is a cheaply animated Japanese show from the 1960s about an 1950s-1960s American style (this was done on purpose by the creator) family who focused on racing, with the main character having superior racing skills and something to prove with his gadget filled racing car in each and every episode – usually with the support of his family and cute, independent girlfriend.

What could have a live action movie based on such a property have done better? Focus on a racing family in the 1960s where everyone takes racing James Bond style cars deadly serious? Oh yeah, there’s absolutely no cheese there to begin with. The cheese in the live action Speed Race movie we got totally came solely from the English dub (hint: sarcasm is laced in there) - a dub I may add - that attempted to keep as much as the original plot as possible. I'll also claim that kids who grew up on Speed Racer never noticed it was poorly dubbed - and no poor dubbing was used in the live action movie.

The live action Speed Racer movie only really had one serious change (outside of keeping the American dub names) and that was upping it to a more futuristic setting – making everything in the original bigger and flashier for the big screen. The 1960s American family values were still there, along with the 1960s race car and James Bond homages. Maybe you enjoy watching really old cars go past the same bush 20 times at speeds up to 80 miles an hour, but personally I found no problem with advancing the car tech/tracks for a feature length movie. What we got totally bombed in theaters, but I highly doubt we could have gotten anything better. How many live action movies go out of their way to give the fans speed lines and split screens of face close ups?

I may not have been born in the 60s era, but when I was little growing up in the 90s my Saturday morning cartoon routine began around 6 am with my turning on MTV for old Speed Racer reruns. I loved every second of the live action movie I got a couple years back and can't help but feel people who can't even remember the original have no right to complain about the changes made between the cartoon and the adaption.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
greenwolf:
Quote:
If you think it's a crappy movie what the heck were you expecting from a movie based off Speed Racer?

Well, for starters, something which actually had to do with the show. And the Caucasian cast wasn't why it sucked.

Quote:
To me there is nothing more ironic than an anime fan claiming all American television animation is crap while at the same time supporting an industry where the majority of stuff their air on television is completely and utterly forgettable – reused and recycled - not to mention sexist - crap.

You've really opened my eyes to the wonders of CG talking animals and inanimate objects.

Quote:
What could have a live action movie based on such a property have done better?

Well, it could be 30 minutes shorter, have a reason to include Rain in the story, and actually focus on the races, rather than the business deals.

Quote:
What we got totally bombed in theaters, but I highly doubt we could have gotten anything better.

Yeah, we could've gotten something better: Tron Legacy.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Everyone works within some constraints. It's what you do within those constraints that makes it great. For instance, anime could never do a proper current social satire to save its life. You won't see the talents the likes of Colbert Report there.

That's kind of ironic given Akira is a social reflection of Japan's disaffected youth during the 80s, specifically the effects that a military-industrial complex had. Plus the obvious allegories to the Hiroshima bombings and Japan's overall economical trouble in a post-war environment. Then you have more straightforward stuff like Grave of the Fireflies. For people saying 'Akira is very Western and loses nothing by being set in America' they should probably take a look at those two themes. America never had a couple nukes dropped on them. I'll keep my own thoughts on Colbert to myself, though the Colbert Report isn't animated, so it's not really applicable here.

Quote:
90% of anything is crap; it's just that that 90% is different to different people. But if you don't watch enough of anything, it'll be harder to find that 10%.

Eh, I always find that statement a weak excuse since it's not like it has any actual scientific measurement or tests done on it.

Quote:
Weisman also directed the 2nd season of W.I.T.C.H., which is the best shoujo series that was on American TV in the last several years.

It's also the only one that was made in that timeframe so it kind of wins by default Razz Though actually it was aimed at boys, not girls, as Weisman ironically pointed out in an interview when he said one of the things he found most troubling was making a show with five girls in pink and butterfly wings be aimed at guys.

Quote:
Not really a fan of Faust, but she was the main one responsible for Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and that's pretty good.

That was Craig McCracken if I'm not mistaken, at least according to Wikipedia. Also did Powerpuff Girls. She worked on the show as a storyboarder according to Wiki, but she didn't really create it or anything.

Quote:
Some of them are kinda reboots because some re-tell similar stories in the TV series but as alternate storylines. Think of the movies as a 3-episode season bunched together.

Only one I recall is that one One Piece movie that retells the Alabasta arc, but everyone more or less agrees it's the worst movie in the series Confused

Quote:
(BTW, anime still can't do proper 3D animation. They can't do in 3D animation what they can do very well in traditional animation. The talent is still not there yet.)

I'd say they can as seen by Cat **** One ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wncS6tO59M ) but prefer not to; and I would agree with them, I definitely prefer traditional animation myself.

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Honest, you sounded like you described the American industry. I really don't think you can call anime sexist when they have two whole markets (shoujo and josei) aimed at women of various ages, while America has exactly.... zilch. Unless you mean fanservice shows, then you're obviously looking in the wrong area. Maybe you can clarify a bit? Honestly this just sounds like more 'Anime was better back in my day' stuff that's kind of old and played out.

Quote:
I also can’t help but find the criticism of American animation using common archetypes pure hilarity when Japan is equally as guilty in using them. You know why? They’re a universal story tool – and the more you look at any character in any type of story – the easier it is to link them to an archetype.

Um, I'm almost certain Japan doesn't reuse Batman every other year like the US does. It's not archetypes being complained about, it's the characters themselves being used.

Quote:
And to suggest on pure assumption that original Japanese Speed Racer animation – I’m sorry, I should call it Mach Go Go because they’re two completely different entities like Robotech is to Macross (they aren’t – the only real edit was toning down some violence) was superior in everything from story to character development, to even setting because it wasn’t dubbed by Americans - this suggestion is obviously coming from some misinformed elitist instinct.
That wasn't really what I was going for... I was referring to the dubbing and character development/plot changes more than anything. Speed Racer probably only works to some people because the original dub was whitewashed to heck and back already, and the dub made it extremely goofy (well, more goofy than the original anyway) So 'Pops' is fine because 'Pops' is white, while 'Daisuke' is definitely not. Sorry, I just found Speed Racer to just be a bad movie. I didn't find Mach Go Go Go wasn't super great in the first place, but I'm not going to pick favorites and say it's fine to do that even to shows I don't care for.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
...given Akira is a social reflection of Japan's disaffected youth during the 80s, specifically the effects that a military-industrial complex had. Plus the obvious allegories to the Hiroshima bombings and Japan's overall economical trouble in a post-war environment. Then you have more straightforward stuff like Grave of the Fireflies. For people saying 'Akira is very Western and loses nothing by being set in America' they should probably take a look at those two themes. America never had a couple nukes dropped on them. I'll keep my own thoughts on Colbert to myself, though the Colbert Report isn't animated, so it's not really applicable here.

I can agree with this much. Adapting Akira, but changing the setting, characters, story, and what have you would seem to remove a great deal of what made the work Akira in the first place. From a business POV it may be worth while to carry over the name and create brand recognition, but I don't see why anyone should have to respect that.

Perhaps the adage "just because you can doesn't mean you should" also comes into play. Can you imagine a Japanese take on the Colbert Report? Who wouldn't scratch their heads at that?

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
[quote="dewlwieldthedarpachief"][quote="TitanXL"]...given Akira is a social reflection of Japan's disaffected youth during the 80s, specifically the effects that a military-industrial complex had. Plus the obvious allegories to the Hiroshima bombings and Japan's overall economical trouble in a post-war environment. Then you have more straightforward stuff like Grave of the Fireflies. For people saying 'Akira is very Western and loses nothing by being set in America' they should probably take a look at those two themes. America never had a couple nukes dropped on them. I'll keep my own thoughts on Colbert to myself, though the Colbert Report isn't animated, so it's not really applicable here./
Quote:

I can agree with this much. Adapting Akira, but changing the setting, characters, story, and what have you would seem to remove a great deal of what made the work Akira in the first place. From a business POV it may be worth while to carry over the name and create brand recognition, but I don't see why anyone should have to respect that.

Perhaps the adage "just because you can doesn't mean you should" also comes into play. Can you imagine a Japanese take on the Colbert Report? Who wouldn't scratch their heads at that?

But if the story takes place in a post-apocalyptic future you can pretty much make up any kind of cultural/social shifts and allegories you want, regardless of what country it's set in. Tons of science fiction does that.

Of course, I'm saying this as someone who never really had a lot of affection for Akira nor out too much stock in whatever messages it had to deliver. It had a real nice animation framerate and that's it.
The Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

That's kind of ironic given Akira is a social reflection of Japan's disaffected youth during the 80s, specifically the effects that a military-industrial complex had. Plus the obvious allegories to the Hiroshima bombings and Japan's overall economical trouble in a post-war environment. Then you have more straightforward stuff like Grave of the Fireflies. For people saying 'Akira is very Western and loses nothing by being set in America' they should probably take a look at those two themes. America never had a couple nukes dropped on them. I'll keep my own thoughts on Colbert to myself, though the Colbert Report isn't animated, so it's not really applicable here..

Except how often do they have modern political satire in Japan? Criticizing today's government directly, rather then the government in the 40s? Using sci fi settings to criticize government policies as being around for ever, how often do they they make fun of the Japanese Prime Minister or government directly? Japan is really behind america and especially the UK, in terms of social satire, its leagues behind.

Except you are saying anime is not only better then American animation, which is highly debatable, but better then anything in American TV and movies, which is extremely silly. How much American TV do you watch? Is Pokemon better then the Wire? Is Yu-Gi-Oh better then Mad Men? Suggesting that anime is better then everything in the West makes one look rather insulated and uncultured.

Now regarding animation, sex and violence do not instantly make something better or mature. I would rather watch Up then Eiken Club, I would rather watch Wall-E then Queen's blade, because Wall-E and Up are better written. Queen's blade and Eiken Club are examples of immature programs then use sex to appear mature, but come off as written by horny 14 year olds. Programs like Queen's Blade are what is wrong with anime nowadays, too many shows aimed geeky pervs rather then a general audience. That's a huge problem with anime today and anyone who ignores it is fooling themselves: http://tomsito.com/blog.php?post=1093. Its hard to say anime is more mature then anything else, when a lot of the modern output is something most people would find juvenile and intellectually insulting. Look at something like the Vampire Bund, if you show that to other people, people won't think you are mature and cultured, they will think you are weirdo. With Vampire Bund, it has content that makes it unappealing to most people in the West and likely a lot of people in Japan. Also the best to introduce anime to others is not to insult everything else ever made in entertainment.

There is a reason why the word otaku is considered a grave insult in Japan, it describes people who immature, anal retentive and socially inept who are looked down at by the rest of society, generally not cool or mature people, they are the Japanese version by people who dress up like Stormtroopers. Having more shows aimed at them, really limits any sort of wide appeal anime can have.

Your Average studio Ghibi film is aimed at kids and they are some of the best stuff that comes out of Japan. Something well done and aimed at kids is always better then something poorly done and aimed at adults.

Frankly there is more adult aimed animations round now in the West then ever before, with PG-13 and R DTVS. Also the cartoon Network has been trying to aim at a higher age audience by making more PG shows and PG is the general rating for a lot of TV in general, Star Trek was rated PG, for example.
Gideon Krieg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I found the article particularly interesting.

I sympathize with Mr. Takei's view that a Japanese masterpiece such as Akira would feel more authentic with an ALL Japanese cast.

However, this is an American adaptation which is supposed to take place in the United States, not Japan.

Therefore, it is wrong for Mr. Takei (or anyone else) to assume that the lead roles absolutely be Japanese actors (or Americans of Japanese descent).

Hollywood is hardly the bastion of Aryan white supremacy, thus I trust the producers of this film are actually looking at the people most qualified to fill the roles of Kaneda and Tetsuo for an American audience.

It is also interesting that Mr. Takei (and others) are using a term I find quite racist.
That term being "whitewashing."
If it's okay to use such a term for a movie that happens to have a cast of actors who are all Caucasian, does that mean a movie with an all black cast is a "Black Out?" or an all Asian cast is a "rice bowl."
Racism cuts both ways.
It's no more acceptable to call an all white cast a "whitewash" than it is to use the other two terms I conjured up for this post.

That said, I take great offense as a mixed-blood American (part native American part Canadian French) to the term "whitewashing" and thus see Mr. Takei's comments as racist in and of themselves.
Had he made the argument that the movie should take place in Japan and thus star Japanese actors to preserve the authenticity of the story, that would be another matter entirely.
But that's not what he said.

I don't judge actors on the color of their skin, I judge them on their abilities as actors and could care less what race they are.

If Kaneda ends up being a Native American and Tetsuo a Black guy, I wouldn't even notice so long as they're great actors.

Mr. Takei is old enough to know this and thus he ought to have chosen his words more carefully and made a more mature argument than (to paraphrase) "only Whiteys in this movie."
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, this is an American adaptation which is supposed to take place in the United States, not Japan.

The changing of the setting was also an issue Mr.Takei and others made note of before the rumors about casting.

Quote:
Mr. Takei is old enough to know this and thus he ought to have chosen his words more carefully and made a more mature argument than (to paraphrase) "only Whiteys in this movie."

He did chose his words carefully but that does not stop people like you taking whatever he says and straw-manning it to fit your needs of "equality".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12