• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(all Media Blasters/Kitty/FAKKU!! purchases were made from MB's founderJohn Sirabella himself, who was manning their 8 foot x 8 foot booth solo)

That's saddening. Way to hang in there though, MB, keep it up! Eventually you're bound to license something I'm interested in again....hopefully....
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:
(all Media Blasters/Kitty/FAKKU!! purchases were made from MB's founderJohn Sirabella himself, who was manning their 8 foot x 8 foot booth solo)

That's saddening. Way to hang in there though, MB, keep it up! Eventually you're bound to license something I'm interested in again....hopefully....

I thought it was funny, especially how it now includes FAKKU! MB will eventually reach the point of selling "bootlegged" DVDRs and possibly legit BDs out of the trunk of Sirabella's car at conventions.

It's not tragic, it's where and how they went. Look at it this way, the Kanokon DVD + OVA set has been in and out of print since it's been in print. I had a real DVD copy of it but sold it as it nowhere reached the heights or quality of the manga... and as both are based on a LN series, that's even worse. Is it now back "in print" or is it just a copy from someone's basement? Is there a difference these days?

Anyway, I've recently purchased Marmalade Boy part 1 from Diskotek, the route MB should have taken, purchasing average or worse dubbed cancelled shows on the cheap until you get a large enough of a library that you get real money coming in... and then go after the bigger titles. Call it the "anti AoA" process.

I also bought Hyouka set 2 and Tamako Love Story. Maybe one day, someone will license Sound Euphonium so I can get that one too. Put it on a single set, add a dub, maybe someone will do it.

It just won't be Pony Canyon.

I'm wavering on what my Aria pledge will be. I do not doubt the first season will be released in 2018 but I do doubt the whole thing will be done by 2020. Perhaps they do a release every three months but even then, assuming the first season lands in mid 2018, the promised land of Avvenire won't happen until late 2019. Naturally, they're mum on this part.

I know that in practice, I'm just giving them my money for them to roll around in... I mean spend at their discretion, absolutely... but for my own spending rationalizing it's a preorder on an item 1) That's still only theoretically licensed and 2) If it's not produced, I will not get a refund.

So I have 12 hour to figure how to do this. Time to use some flippism...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote
With 12 hours left to go in the Aria KS campaign, I switched my pledge from Prima +++ to Stylish +++ so that I get the T-shirt and PDF of a "shooting" script.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac

Look at the situation this way; for the Aria dub we are dealing with Right Stuf! If they go out of business or screw up so badly they can't produce the show we will have even greater problems. It would likely mean that all anime on physical media was no longer viable. I don't see Amazon and a handful of mom & pop shops selling enough disks to keep the industry alive. While this would please some people, it would probably drive me out of anime.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Animegomaniac

Look at the situation this way; for the Aria dub we are dealing with Right Stuf! If they go out of business or screw up so badly they can't produce the show we will have even greater problems. It would likely mean that all anime on physical media was no longer viable. I don't see Amazon and a handful of mom & pop shops selling enough disks to keep the industry alive. While this would please some people, it would probably drive me out of anime.

Yeah, I'm personally not backing the Aria kickstarter (I have no special attachment to the series at all, and if I ever pick it up, it will most likely be as part of a RightStuf Christmas sale 5 or 6 years from now), but I'm really pulling for it to do well and get shipped out in a timely fashion. If it somehow all falls apart, then there goes basically any chance of other "popular, but not enough for the average Toonami viewer to have ever heard of it" back-catalogue titles getting similar treatment in the near future.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not in a financial position to be able to back the Aria KS, nor do I have much interest in the show, especially dubbed. (I liked it when I watched it, but it's not a favourite) I do hope it succeeds though. Seems like RS is really going all out with the rewards.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
@st_owly

As far as pledges go, Aria succeeded very well. The absolute highest stretch goal was $370,000. They currently have $583,818 pledged. Nozomi (Right Stuf!) has experience in both production of Blurays and in dubbing. They have been handling fulfillment for other Kickstarters. The company would have to fall apart for this to not succeed.

Note the pledged amount went up a hundred dollars or so while I typed this.
Akaname

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I kept my pledge for Aria at Prima Double Plus. I hope to add on for season 3 and the guidebook, it's just not possible right now.

Everyone should know that a lot of those KS only items in the Prima and up tier, regardless of how much you care about them now, will be worth something later on. $30 coffee mug, you bet, coming soon to an ebayer near you.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I know very little about the series, and I have like eleventy billion unwatched disks in my backlog, but I was at least interested in it, and I love RightStuf enough to want to support them in this really awesome campaign. I wound up going with...I forget what it was called in that whole myriad mess of tiers, but the one with just the disks of seasons 1 and 2, since I'm not much of a merch guy. I'll wind up adding on season 3 at some point, but I didn't want to see a $200 bombshell on my monthly statement. Razz
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I did the Prima Triple + option myself. I debated on the artbook but opted out. I was going to drop lower but I really want that clipboard box that holds all of the series. Plus the coffee mug is nice. I canceled a Nov pre-order I had at Rightstuf to make up the difference. Speaking of Rightstuf though I have already bought or pre-ordered these items.

Anime:
Testament of Sister New Devil
Orange
Your name
Flying Witch

Manga:
Citrus 6
Monster Musume 12
Flying Witch vol 3
Bloom Into You vol 3
The Demon Prince of Momochi House vol 1 & 2
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
From the comic shop today:

Manga:
Alice in Murderland volume 7
Arpeggio of Blue Steel volume 11
Asterisk War volume 5
Barakamon volume 14
The Devil is a Part Timer volume 10
Handa-kun volume 7
Kiss Him Not Me volume 12
Strike the Blood volume 8

Novels:
Accel World volume 11
Baccano volume 5 2001 The Children of Bottle
Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon volume 9
Strike the Blood volume 7
My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as Expected volume 3
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Animegomaniac

No, what actually has me worried is the idea they want to toss Avvenire in with season 3. Since it's a Region A BD set, there's a number of hurdles it has to go through like when it can be released, how it can be packaged and how much if has to cost and all of those were decided very quickly during the course of the campaign. From "Oh right, we didn't license it" to "How much?" to "This is how it'll be released". I'd be a lot more comfortable with it if they kept Avvenire separate and treated it like it was a movie.

I ultimately decided to up my pledge by going up a tier but then only bundled it with season 1 and half of season 2.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Taking advantage of the Sentai sale on Rightstuf, just bought Wake Up Girls TV at a discounted price on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac

My impression was that RS intended to do the entire series from the get go and already had licensed Avvenire as part of getting permissions from the beginning. I think the only surprise was that they only had to run one Kickstarter campaign instead of four. I may have missed something and if they actually said they didn't have that license let me know. Their existing license for the rest of Aria would not have let them do the Bluray without additional permissions and material so they would have been in touch with the rights holders anyway.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - I don't think it is known if Nozomi already had the license to Avvenire when the campaign started. They certainly didn't make an official announcement until the campaign was underway. I think these sorts of things take time to negotiate but perhaps the runaway success of the KS sped things up if they hadn't already been arranged beforehand. Keeping Avvenire separate from Season 3 makes no sense for them despite the fact that some customers obviously would have preferred it that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1298 of 1401