• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:37 am Reply with quote
So... a long time ago, as I was trying to gain more shelf space for anime, I sold a bunch of anime singles, telling myself to just buy the completed sets for a few anime I had. Most of them were just that, singles, but I had a couple with art boxes. I kept the art boxes while removing the singles from them. And I had thought I had bought all that I needed... until I went to move my collection from one shelf to another and finding out that, in fact, I didn't. And just my luck: those series are apparently out of print.

After a few hours of hunting, I did find good used copies via eBay, so soon I'll be receiving:
Eureka Seven Parts 1 & 2 DVD
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Seasons 1 & 2 SAVE Edition DVD

... With any luck, I won't have this issue again. Now my attention turns to an anime that I now wish I bought when it came out. I wanted to try and find Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, but apparently it also went out of print. Much to my shock with how new of a series it is. But I can't find for sale the Part One collection or the Complete Series without it being a non-US release... or at least not one that's priced over $100. I have to hope that maybe CR will do another release of the series, or if I manage to go to some far-off anime shop that might have it for closer to retail, but I admit, I'm very frustrated that I never bought it when it initially came out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:23 am Reply with quote
@ Aura Ichador - yep, I've done the "put newer releases inside an artbox" thing myself a few times. Two examples off the top of my head: my two Red Garden half sets are inside the Red Garden singles artbox and Season 1 & 2 of Magic Knight Rayearth are inside the Magic Rayearth 2 DVD Memorial Box 2 artbox.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:58 am Reply with quote
When DVD singles started coming out, I was a sucker for art boxes (usually an option with the first or last single of a series). When half or whole series box sets came out, I usually went with the limited or deluxe edition. Then shortly after Blu-ray versions started coming out, I realized that I had a box full of trinkets and a lot of my collection stored in the bottom of a closet due to lack of storage. After this revelation, I started replacing singles with complete sets or, better yet, with Blu-rays. I gave up on limited editions altogether unless it was obvious that it might not come out in any other form.

I'm still stuck with some sets in singles and some in space wasting art boxes but, I have managed to get everything out where I can see it.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:00 am Reply with quote
Ordered from Amazon a few days ago, arriving today (2-14) I hope:

----------------------

MANGA
------------

Medaka Kuroiwa Is Impervious to My Charms Vol. 2

I Get the Feeling That Nobukuni-san Likes Me Vol. 3

The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses Vol. 6-8

Gabriel Dropout Vol. 13

There's No Freaking Way I'll be Your Lover! Unless... Vol. 4

Anime
-----------

Quintessential Quintuplets Movie BD

My Life as Inukai-san's Dog BD

Non-Anime
------------------

The Jetsons: The Movie BD (a nostalgic childhood favorite, even though it isn't a great movie... features the last performances of legendary voice actors Mel Blanc & George O'Hanlon, who both died while the movie was still in production)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:28 am Reply with quote
Just bought Amnesia via E-Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered Dead Mount Death Play and My Home Hero via RACS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:21 am Reply with quote
Just a few random Amazon pickups of older "leaving us forever" titles:

* Blue Gender TV/Movie (Anime Classics) -- a fitting pre-emptive tribute to Funimation's ultimate demise, as this was the first non-long-running series they ever worked on.
* The Geneon DVDs of Armitage III OVA and Armitage III: Dual Matrix - (Special Edition) -- a true testament to massive oldtime print runs, as these were far cheaper than the more recent Funimation collections. Probably won't bother with Poly-Matrix, as I borrowed it from a friend ages ago, and there isn't a new audio option for a rewatch of what is already a condensed summary of the OVA.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Almost the same way Pioneer was hyping up L/R: Licensed by Royalty in some of the trailers I seen from their previews in the early 2000s, yet almost no one thinks of the series nowadays.

Yeah, I think they wanted to make it the next great "Westernized big hit in America," as a sort of "James Bond: The Anime." Yet if you look at MAL's user numbers for Geneon titles, L/R winds up near the very bottom, below the likes of Mao-chan, Snow Fairy Sugar, Pretty Sammy TV, famous hundred-unit-seller Rumiko Takahashi Anthology... and Nazca. No doubt they lost money commissioning an LA/union dub from the always high-quality New Generation Pictures, and it's no surprise I was able to pick up the singles+artbox bundle from RSA in 2015.

Alan45 wrote:
In addition to the singles, Paradise Kiss was reissued by Funimation as a box set and as a thin pack set. Rod the TV had an optional "book" with plastic pages that held all of the individual disks (with room for the movie). If some one is selling it in that format it is likely legit.

Ah yes, that ROD TV book, which wound up being my greatest and most hilarious anime-buying mistake. I'd seen parts of the show at Anime Club, and when I came across that book for ~$46 at Best Buy back in July 2005, I assumed it was the full series... only to discover that it was just the Vol 1+Box Embarassed I wasn't on top of industry news and release patterns back then, and didn't know that not all of the singles were even released. I did wind up buying them all, but it wound up being my all-time "most money paid per runtime" title. (Not counting OOP outliers like Lucky Star vol. 6 and the FMA '09 OVAs.)

Re: The Singles Era -- I always got artboxes wherever I could, and managed to stick with and complete collecting every show I started back then, except for one, that being Karin. After getting the first 3 discs, I ran into some financial rough spots, and by the time I'd recovered, the short print runs spurred by the end of Geneon and the Funimation takeover left the discs quite expensive. I didn't want to buy the partially-redundant complete collection, so I stored the 3 discs of the alphabetically-next Kashimashi in the Karin artbox for over a decade, before buying the Discotek Blu-Rays and removing the whole box from my shelf for space.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:28 am Reply with quote
Interesting post, Zalis116. I'm glad to see I'm not the only OOP hunter in these here parts.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:19 am Reply with quote
@Zalis116

The problem with buying the ROD book as the first volume was that it didn't come with the pencil boards that the individual releases did. I didn't find this out until I bought the following individual releases with the pencil boards. At this late date I can't believe that I fretted about missing out on a couple, three pencil boards.

One of the reasons I quit buying limited editions is the box of trinkets that came with them that are completely useless, like a Witch Hunter Robin shot glass.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:37 am Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - I'm a sucker for any kind of trinket even if I can't/don't use it. Zalis116's mention of oldtime massive print runs reminds me of the sterling example of that that Zac and Justin used to make fun of: Heat Guy J. I believe it was ADV that bet the farm the title would be a massive hit and paid an enormous license fee for it. Hell, you can probably still get all the singles cheep-cheep even now.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Alan45 - I'm a sucker for any kind of trinket even if I can't/don't use it. Zalis116's mention of oldtime massive print runs reminds me of the sterling example of that that Zac and Justin used to make fun of: Heat Guy J. I believe it was ADV that bet the farm the title would be a massive hit and paid an enormous license fee for it. Hell, you can probably still get all the singles cheep-cheep even now.

Pioneer/ Geneon actually acquired the license. And do remember well how much they were trying to hype it up, including having episodes of it air on MTV2 back when it was new in the early 2000s. Unfortunately, it underperformed in sales from what I gather. Which is kind of a shame as unlike L/R: Licensed by Royalty, Heat Guy J's actually a pretty solid series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:29 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the correction, Ggultra2764. I should have just strolled over to my shelves and checked because I own the series, all eight volumes: 4 volumes stored in limited edition collector's box 1 and 4 in box 2 (the 8th volume is a "special supplemental dvd"). I bought both for cheap from TRSI. You can still get both for a decent price off of ebay. Can't comment on the quality of the show because I haven't watched anything yet, but I have heard it was pretty decent.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:33 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Thanks for the correction, Ggultra2764. I should have just strolled over to my shelves and checked because I own the series, all eight volumes: 4 volumes stored in limited edition collector's box 1 and 4 in box 2 (the 8th volume is a "special supplemental dvd"). I bought both for cheap from TRSI. You can still get both for a decent price off of ebay. Can't comment on the quality of the show because I haven't watched anything yet, but I have heard it was pretty decent.

I own the Funimation thinpak re-release they did in 2009 after acquiring a decent chunk of Geneon's license library following their closure. Haven't watched it in a while, but don't regret the purchase when I first seen it years ago.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Just bought both parts of Moriarty the Patriot via E-Bay.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:30 am Reply with quote
Made my first order on Crunchyroll's store since TRSI was folded into it. I'm hoping I won't have an issue, but given responses in here, I'm admittedly worried.

But took advantage of their "last chance" sale and ordered the Dr. STONE: Stone Wars LE as well as Dr. STONE S1 Part 1, as I never did buy that to complete my art box. I do hope S3 will also get an art box, although I'm more concerned on whether or not we'll get a separate release for the Ryusui OVA or if it'll be somehow added to the Part 2 release as an extra feature.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1398 of 1400