• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I have at least 1,200 myself, but I plan to take new collection pictures after Otakon (and perhaps after I get the manga I'm lending my friend back too). Could be way more though. Not sure how to count some omnibuses though. Sure, if it was originally released in singles then later collected (like Uzumaki or something), then I go with the original number (so 3 for Uzumaki, even if it's one omnibus). But then, things with initial omni releases that aren't labeled like "1-2" or "1-2-3" (as Seven Seas tends to do), are those like 1? Or should I just go by what ANN or MAL says is the original Japanese volume count? For example, Itazura na Kiss or To Terra. Though for things based on later collections made of fewer volumes, like Parasyte, I'll probably just find it easier to call that 8 and not 12.
I keep delaying taking new pictures because a)my friend has like 20 of my volumes and b)ooh, something new and shiny online! *click* ordered! Ooh, a used sale, dirt cheap manga and comics *click* ordered! Now the wait begins...
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
95% of my collection is in storage. Hopefully I can convince my boyfriend to let me use one of the extra rooms in our new place when we move next month as my library. I would love to have everything put in the open and displayed. I gave not seem some of my stuff since it was packed up for my first move 6 years ago. So much I want to reread.

As for omnibus volumes, I tend to use those in terms of how many volumes they hold; 3 in 1s are 3 volumes, 2 in 1s are 2 volumes. Seven Seas are the only exception, and I will go with the JP equivalent, if they split chapters between books.

I count Parasyte as 8 since the version I have was based on the kanzenban release. If I had the original TP releases, I'd say 12, as that is what they stretched the original 10 out to. Only if I had the original tankoban from JP would I say 10.

The large format omnibus are tougher for me and I typically categorize them by themselves as they do not fit any normal criteria. I think I only have To Terra and the 2001 box set of the Nausicaa manga in this category, so it may change if I accumulate more.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
After being absent from this forum for 6-7 years, I'm back here to update my DVD collection. When I was absent from this forum, I was involved in another hobby.

Just purchased:

1. Gundam UC Unicorn
2. Rurouni Kenshin Trilogy (live movie)
3. Gundam Zeta New Translation

This year, I just started building Gundam models, I've assembled the following:

1. HG 1/144 Gundam 00 Raiser with GN Sword III
2. RG 1/144 Gundam Zeta
3. HG 1/144 Gundam Wing Honoo
4. HG 1/144 Gundam Stargazer
5. SD Winning Gundam

Note that the Gundam UC Unicorn DVDs acquired from Barnes and Noble are all in TRANSPARENT DVD jackets, not the black jackets Bandai Sunrise usually use.

The Rurouni Kenshin live movies are very well made, action filled. A must watch for Kenshin fans. Outstanding soundtrack, cinematography and makeup. Worth buying in Blu-Ray.

Models displayed in my work place. Gundam 00 Raiser, Wing Honoo and Winning Gundam.
Making a scene. by infinity_zero, on Flickr

The Real Grade Zeta was very challenging to build. This is displayed at home.

Stargazer Gundam. I am unable to find the legitimate DVD with English Sub. This is displayed at home.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
@geishageek
Don't feel bad, the majority of my manga is in boxes in the storage room. I doubt they will ever see my shelves again. I have one set of shelving that I use for ongoing manga and for recently completed titles that I'm still trying to read. When those get full I have to box more stuff up. I currently have piles of completed manga series on the floor as a reminder to read them so I can store them.

I wonder how many feet of shelving it would take to display all of my manga and related books??

Concerning omnibus volumes: If a series switches from single volumes to omnibus, or from omnibus to single volumes, I count the omnibus as multiples. However if the series is all omnibus volumes, I just count each volume as one.

As you pointed out the number of volumes a series occupies can change in various editions in Japan. Kimagure Orange road was 16 volumes (I think) in the original paperback version but was only 10 volumes in hardback.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
About 3/4 of my manga is in my bedroom at my parents', the rest is here with me. My new rule is every time I finish buying and then reading a series, it gets taken down to my parents' the next time I visit them. It's much easier moving a series at a time than all at once when I next have to move house.... I own well over 1000 volumes T.T
I generally count omnibuses as one volume, but note how many original volumes there were in the Japanese release.

When I have my own place I am going to have a library room.

Anyway, today I went to the comic shop and bought Demon From Afar 3, 3 Alice in the Country of.... volumes I was missing, He's My Only Vampire 3 and Let's Dance a Waltz 2.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties - Season 4 Complete Collection -- Blu-ray

Still in box at the comic book store:
Knights of Sidonia - Season 1 Complete Collection (Collector's Edition) -- Blu-ray
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Neptune, Freezing Vibration, Expelled from Paradise, The Devil is a Part Timer and D-Frag. All Limited Editions and just placed the order on rightstuf.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Decided to take advantage of Rightstuf's Yen Press sale:

-Aron's Absurd Armada vol. 2-3
-Emma A Victorian Romance omnibus 2
-Log Horizon novels 1-2
-Milkyway Hitchhiking vol. 1-2

Also pre-ordered Kamigami no Asobi and Kawaii Complex.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I guess Shelf Life is serving part of its purpose.

Just ordered Castle of Cagliostro BD off of Amazon when I noticed the price in the article (%50 off)), also ordered Kingdom of Dreams & Madness. I meant to find that streaming somewhere but I figure I own almost every major Ghibli release, I really should own the documentary too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered Space Brothers BD 5 and Ranma 1/2 BD 7 from Rightstuf. So happy to see the end of Ranma in sight.

Still debating on Space Dandy Season 2. Very disappointed that it is only getting a SE as the first season got a LE and SE, plus the two different CE's. Guess if I do buy it, I will just finagle the BD's into the LE cases of Season 1 and stick the dvds into the SE case for season 2. Or just keep it all inside the Boobies CE box.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
My pre-orders for Windy Tales and No Game No Life shipped out today and have been charged for via Rightstuf.

Also snagged up Nobunagun via Amazon at a reduced price as I milked a $10 gift card I managed to win in a raffle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Rightstuf must be having some issues with their new website/system. I had several things charged to my account but it's been several days and so far no shipping notifications yet or shipments. If it ends up being more than week I'm going to have to shoot off an email to them.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I had this happen to me as well with Castle of Cagliostro. They are aware of the issue and are trying to get it fixed. Seems some orders that shipped during the refresh (Monday was their partial order ship day so im sure a lot of people were affected) did not get shipping confirmations.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
100% of my collection is about to bury me.

Picked up another 100 Scanavo cases today to address this really wonderful to have "problem" and then ordered another 100 (14mm clear six capacity, dvd sized)

Went with Casetopia this time. Forget Amazon US for cases, a good chunk of my previous two orders not only took forever and a day to arrive but also showed up in "would you like to refuse shipment?" state. Very Happy

Also have yet to receive a shipping confirmation from Rightstuf! since I had to order as a "guest" for the Animesols stuff that I don't want to pay reseller OOP prices for when I lose or damage them down the road.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Went to the comic shop (they don't usually do friday as part of their weekend sale, but every so often they do. But it's supposed to pour rain starting tonight through pretty much all of tomorrow here), I went to get Adventure Time: Banana Guard Academy and indeed got that, but also got the Persona 4 design works art book! Half off! It can join my P3 book on the shelf! They still haven't gotten more manga though, argh! Why has their supply suddenly dried up? I need manga to survive here, man!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1210 of 1400