• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Submitting Rescued Releases

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Should there be any notation to either the old or new releases when submitting for a rescued series? Going by 07-Ghost (#7929) it seems like the system will take duplicate description+volume numbers with unique ISBNs, but it looks weird.

My guess is few would ever think to use 2nd edition if not in the credit/title pages, so would using the publishing company's name make sense?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The release dates, companies, and availability are all different. With the exception of volume 1, all Go! Comi releases are no longer available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
I think the question is less in if it's possible to enter them, and more on how should they be entered to differentiate between them. To avoid things such as Sailor Moon's release list, which does nothing (unless you click on the titles) to differentiate or even show that there's a difference between the releases, other than the release date.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
When there are two release dates for one volume which are years apart, it should be obvious that it has been re-released in some fashion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
With something like 07-Ghost, yes, but the Sailor Moon releases completely changed an 18-volume run to a 12+2 volume run, so most of the volumes don't even have the same contents. Having a way to differentiate between them would be good, so you can glance at the release list, and not think that the second release just quit midway through.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
There's one way to do that: an encyclopedia editor must set the number of volumes for each release, so that we'd have "Sailor Moon (GN 1 of 18)" and "Sailor Moon (GN 1 of 14)", and because of the different total they would be grouped separately.

Note: it could also be "Sailor Moon (GN 1 of 12+2)" but I'm not sure what you mean by that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Technically, the Side Story volumes aren't part of the 1-12 release (just like SuperS and Stars were considered separate with Tokyopop's release), so it's kinda weird to put "1-14" when the numbers go "1-12, 1, 2"
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
If I'm reading into the news correctly, then those extra volumes would just need to be entered as "Sailor Moon Short Stories (GN 1)" and 2 - as you say, exactly how StarS and SuperS were entered for Tokyopop.

--edit--

In fact, I added it via the Amazon link in the news article since we the release wasn't in the database as all, and that is how the system filled it in automatically.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
There's one way to do that: an encyclopedia editor must set the number of volumes for each release, so that we'd have "Sailor Moon (GN 1 of 18)" and "Sailor Moon (GN 1 of 14)", and because of the different total they would be grouped separately.

Sounds like that would solve the visual effects, but would the system also be smart enough to throw the new volumes into the un-groupped set as we enter tham? As in, only setup the 1 of 18 (old set) and let the rest ride, or would it take an editor to nudge them each time?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
The system has no way to know how many volumes are in the set. We often don't know how many volumes are in a set until the last volume..
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
I feel like it wouldn't hurt to add "2nd Edition" onto the title when entering the new releases.

Even Sailor Moon could sorely use this differentiation for the volumes unmarked by any other labels such as SuperS or Stars; for now, I've just marked them in My Collection's comment section by their release company.

I ended up having to mark in the comment section for Aria as well since it was first released by ADV, then rescued and re-released by Tokyopop and no one had made this known in the release title. It would be nice if they were edited to differentiate between 1st and 2nd edition, especially if it ever gets rescued for a 3rd time to finally finish the poor series.

About the only thing that gets convoluted is when rescued editions continue an unfinished series, but then also don't finish it. So for example with Aria: volumes 1-3 were printed by ADV, and then re-printed by Tokyopop which also published editions of 4-6. So if another company ever picks it up, volumes 1-3 will be on their 3rd edition whereas volumes 4-6 will only be on their 2nd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1