• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Out of Print List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
apple pro wrote:
i think TokyoPop is over.

they seem to think OEL is the future. I only want japanese comics and that's that. there are plenty for me to choose from without having to force myself to read unexpeirienced american manga. viz sells shonen jump titles for 8 bucks. why would i pay 10 for OEL?

Del Rey and Viz are what I consider awesome.

Tokyopop STILL releases PRIMARILY Japanese and Korean series. And out of those, they are mostly Japanese. TP is getting new licenses ALL THE TIME and despite the growing number of OEL manga, Japanese manga still far dominate the monthly publishing schedule.
I am not sure what you are talking about.
noneko_Mamimi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop has just been dissapointing me. I hate their release schedule, and it seems like they don't put as much effort into all their titles as they do for exspecially popular titles such as Fruits Basket.
PeaceMaker1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, they're stopping the Digimon manga? I always considered buying it but always put it off to later. Is it worth buying them? Season 1 is only, like what.. 43 episodes? How did they manage to fit 43 episodes into 5 volumes?
V. Equinox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they'll still be publishing the Clover box set, though. I assume it will be unflipped. Jeez, I love that manga.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
PeaceMaker1 wrote:
Hmm, they're stopping the Digimon manga? I always considered buying it but always put it off to later. Is it worth buying them? Season 1 is only, like what.. 43 episodes? How did they manage to fit 43 episodes into 5 volumes?
The Digimon manga is actually a manwha and no, it's not worth buying. The English translation added in corny jokes that weren't originally there, they still used the dub terms, and the storyline was really squished, not to mention the artwork was terrible. It's not surprising to see a lot of those titles on the out of print list. Most of those series are either older titles that aren't mainstream anymore, left to right series, or manga that just didn't sell very well. I doubt these Clamp manga going out of print is going to hurt them any. With the expection of Clover, most of the Clamp manga going out of print are either one-shots or short, older series nobody really cares about. I mean, when was the last time you saw a fanbase for Clamp School Detectives in the U.S.? I still would like to read Clover and I hope Tokyopop will re-release it unflipped one day. I have to admit that I am sad that Saint Tail is going out of print. That looked like such a cute series and I really wanted to read it. I can't find it at the bookstores anymore, either. I hope Tokyopop will also re-release Saint Tail unflipped one of these days, so I can finally read it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
If you are wondering, Tokyopop actually lost the rights to Kodocha, Marmalade Boy, and Sailor Moon. Since FUNi just released the Kodocha anime, don't you think the sales would've gone up for the manga? There is a rumor that Viz will pick up Kodocha and MBoy. However, Sailor Moon is not up for lisence, and neither is the anime. Supposedly Naoko Takeuchi is having a feud with Toei (who does the anime) and the company who publishes the manga. Don't know why though. And I've heard of a possible Parasyte live-action movie, so if there really is, they are probably gonna rerelease it in R-L format. And I really hope for a rerelease of Clover in R-L format. I was planning on picking that manga up, since I'm a huge Clamp fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3