• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - RIGHT TURN ONLY IS BACK!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
A... B... minus? You gave Deathnote a... B... minus? That's... criminal. It's one of the most suspenseful and riveting books out there. I can't help reccomending it to just about anyone. A B.. minus?

*glares at your face*

Now what was your name again?

-Xenos
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
A... B... minus? You gave Deathnote a... B... minus? That's... criminal. It's one of the most suspenseful and riveting books out there. I can't help reccomending it to just about anyone. A B.. minus?

*glares at your face*

Now what was your name again?

-Xenos

It isn't 'criminal', it's his opinion, and he's entitled to it. Furthermore, he's talking about volume 3, not the series as a whole.

Plenty of people agree that Death Note struggles as it goes along.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I love DeathNote and think that it deserves an A+ on everything...

...But that's just because it's my opinion. Deep psycho moralitywha? OMGWTFBRAINEXPLODE really isn't up some people's alleys. The fact that it's so text-heavy turns some people off because it sure takes a lot of patience for a medium that is generally read so fast. I've had a friend or two that have gotten "unhooked" on Death Note because they didn't feel like reading so much and they wanted humor, rather than the tension. ><
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaahhhhh!!!! Anime hyper

I am SO happy right now. ANN couldn't have picked a better person to write this column. Great work so far and I look forward to reading RTO in the future. I hope to see reviews for relatively lesser-known titles every once in a while. (Carlo's Sexy Voice and Robo review was fantastic!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Speaking of the ratings, I found the reviews (the ones I've read that is) dead-on (glad to see someone is cutting through the hype around Death Note and not just giving it all A's.)

Eh, The Death Note fangirls are going to scream foul no matter what.

Kagemusha wrote:
It's also nice to see a column by someone who's fairly open to lesser known types of manga on ANN. In short, keep up the great work.

True, it seem like almost every shojo got really good review and most shonen gets less favorable review.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Nice column. I've been checking ANN religiously for a while and wondered why there were no manga reviews. How long was RTO on hiatus?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Nice column. I've been checking ANN religiously for a while and wondered why there were no manga reviews. How long was RTO on hiatus?

If you check the archive (under columns), the last one was around December 2004. Well over a year ago and it was written by Liann Cooper.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I see. I should have thought of doing that. Thanks.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

This is exactally what I was talking about. While Death Note is an above average shonen manga, people seem to treat it like it's the most sophisticated and mature manga ever created. It had a good start that I'd recommend, but after a certain twist it just got stupid.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd say a B minus is pretty accurate. Although, I would say it's a bit generous if it was referring to later material.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
Wow- that's awesome that ANN has a manga review column once more Very Happy Just out of curiousity, are reviews of Korean manwha going to appear in the "World Manga" section or the regular section?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone for all your positive comments. Just like my fellow readers, I'm excited to see RTO!! up and running again, so I'm doing my best to write about manga in a way that's both entertaining and enlightening.

GATSU wrote:
Hey, I enjoy that element of the series. It reminds me of Speed Racer. Laughing But the series seems close to jumping the shark once it went to "The College Years". No, I do not want to watch you and your arch-nemesis play tennis. I can buy another manga for that. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, did you see the Dragon Head movie yet?

I haven't seen the movie, though I am aware of it. Neutral

Heh, I think Death Note has jumped lots of sharks since the first couple of volumes. Laughing Someone should ask readers sometime... "When did Death Note get too ridiculous for you?" spoiler[For one of my friends, she said it was when Misa came in. For me, it was when Light lost the Note and it ended up with that corporation. BLAAAGH.]

championferret wrote:
I've been waiting for this day for a long time, so I feel selfish to nitpick, but I do wish more titles could be reviewed.

I wish I could review more titles too Laughing, but my reading and writing speed has its limits, so it's probably best to have 5 thoughtful reviews rather than 10 half-assed ones.

AutoGyro wrote:
I have a little request Very Happy. Would you be so kind as to review the Lupin the 3rd: World's Most Wanted manga in one of your future columns? I really enjoyed that manga, but I have never been able to find a review of it in any of the sites that review manga! So, I'm hoping you would review it Very Happy.

Nice, I'm getting requests already? Anime hyper Anime hyper I'll see if Lupin catches my interest next time a volume comes out ...

RabbitRevolution wrote:
Wow- that's awesome that ANN has a manga review column once more Very Happy Just out of curiousity, are reviews of Korean manwha going to appear in the "World Manga" section or the regular section?

Manwha will go in the regular section. The World feature is mostly to cover OEL, or German, or Italian, or Filipino, or whatever other non-East-Asian manga-styled comics (translated into English if necessary) I might run into.

EDIT: oops, I just noticed the goof with Queenie Chan's name. There shouldn't be a hyphen there ... she's Hong Kong born, so that's actually a surname, not a cutesy Japanese honorific. Embarassed My apologies.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
NICE!! Thank you for the recent RTO. It has been way toooo long between reviews of manga on ANN. For me, it is a great tool to help me spend more of my money on a series I would not have tried without a favorable review. Dragon Head sounds pretty interesting.

I was surprised to see that Deathnote got a B- but, then again, I have only read the first two volumes. Who knows? My thoughts on that particular manga could actually change. Stranger things have happened.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
i don't think you should pay too much attention to the final rating, since they are in the end, just someone else's opinion.
but the review was very clear and introduced the manga's perfectly.
thanks a lot, i'll definetly look for future manga reviews
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I like seeing a shorter review of something when I'm rushed for time (seemingly always). Now I better not see any more "extended hiatuses", or I'd be really disapointed. Good work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3