• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anime conventions!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Why do people go to these?

If you have ever been to one please explain WHY you went.
I personly can't understand why people go to these. Is there realy something that special about them?

I can understand if you can get anime at like 25% off no rmal price, but that isn't what I'm talking about.

People go to these in costumes and all dressed up looking like their favorite anime person. WHY??!!!

What happens at these conventions?!

Please someone help me understand t hese things!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
I've never been to a convention myself, but I can probably say the reason is to be with other fans.

Not knowing many other fans personally, if I were the highly sociable type, I suppose I'd go to a convention just to see these fans, chit chat with them, hear news and announcements from important people, buy (or window shop) imported items, etc.

I guess you can just say it's a really huge anime themed shindig.
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Good fun lad, simply good fun Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Greennunu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
I've been to one before, but it's neat to see the cosplayers, you get some free products, free anime viewing, free live(usually J-pop) band, and I guess get a feel for some of their "culture".
jousha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
I went to one free, small one just last year. I can say it was quite . . . interesting. It was fun to see people in costumes, and it did make me want to dress up (same reason everyone dresses up for halloween, really).

I'm not really a social person so I missed out on that, but I did enjoy looking at the stuff they were selling and checking out some anime that they played in certain rooms.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Real World: Hahahaha u like anime like zomg ur such a loser!!1!

Inside an Anime Convention: Hey, we all like anime! Join the party!

Beyond the dealers, the cosplay, the anime music video contests, and the other special events, I think this psychological "acceptance" reason also motivates people to go to conventions. But seriously, it is a fun time, with a massive array of anime media, posters, and toys, along with manga, wallscrolls and other art for sale. Viewing rooms give people who don't have a massive DVD collection or a computer with the speed and capacity to download all the latest fansubs (and/or shadier types of downloaded anime) a chance to see what is out there beyond Cartoon Network and other TV anime. Cosplay gives a chance to express oneself and one's love for a character-you certainly don't have to cosplay; I've gone to two cons, both times dressed completely normally. Plenty of other events and games offer entertainment, and the more low-key atmosphere of panels gives you a chance to expand your learning horizons. I gave a couple panels about the Japanese language and some of the difficulties encountered in translation (like in one fansub I did, "minna, korekara mo yoroshiku ne!"="Everyone, please keep being my friends from now on," which is a translation from context, not from the actual words), and people were teh educated.

Guests and big names are a big draw--even at the small convention I was at, I got to talk to the person who wrote the English dub script for Angelic Layer, one of my favorite shows. (Oh, yeah, and she was also the voice actress for some crazy character named "Asuka" in some giant robot show about evangelizing... Wink ) The list goes on and on, and while there are drawbacks (crowds, substandard hygeine, rabid/obssessed fans, etc.), I think the positives outweigh the negatives.
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
Honestly? I just go to get cheap anime/manga products, go to a concert, dance at the dances, meet people, and hopefully find a date.

I've only been to two, A-Kon 16, and AnimeFest 2005, but still had more fun than I usually do in my regular life, which isn't much of a comparison when I think about it.( Anime cry )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
I went to Fanime for no reason rather than just to experience it (it was my first con ever)

so my non-anime fan mom went along with me, and didn't really enjoy it (and i couldn't enjoy it much because of her)

Hopefully if i attend another one i'll do more things...
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:35 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of interested but...I wish I could go with someone. I could maybe get my friend's little sister to tag along, not like I'm best friends with her or anything, but she's the only big anime fan I know of. That friend, her older brother, watched dbz way back with me and some Yu Yu Hakusho as well. I have another friend who has watched FMA/Naruto/Bleach but is pretty much lacking the want to see almost anything but large scale action/comedy shows like these.(I still can't see why..he liked FMA so you'd think he would have a bit broader range of tastes).

Going alone seems like it wouldn't be as fun but maybe someday I'll go to one. It'd be interesting just to see people dressed up and what anime they'd be playing around the place, not to mention the merchandise. I only shop for stuff online so I don't really get that feel of seeing tons of merchandise at once on a shelf infront of me.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:31 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

I personly can't understand why people go to these. Is there realy something that special about them?

I can understand if you can get anime at like 25% off no rmal price, but that isn't what I'm talking about.

People go to these in costumes and all dressed up looking like their favorite anime person. WHY??!!!

Why do you even watch anime? This is such a stupid question.

1. They are fun.
2. You are among friends, fanboys, nerds, geeks, whatever. Like minded people that are as passionate about anime as you are. This is not unlike other comic conventions.
3. Special guests: people from all over the anime industry, voice actors, artists, creators, musicians, everything. These are very cool people that I always like meeting and talking to.
4. NETWORKING. If you want to pursue a career in the field or a similar one, networking is ESSENTIAL.
5. DEALERS. Dealers are worth the price of admission alone. They have so much cool swag at these things I can't even put it into words. Plus you can buy pocky for cheap, POCKY DAMMIT!
6. Panels. QnA's with the special guests.
7. Screenings, get to watch new or upcoming anime, classic stuff as well.
8. Competitions. Amateur editors and film students love to play their hands at the AMV competitions which are pretty popular especially at UshiCon

If this isn't enough, whatever. I can't believe you would ask something like that here. It just boggles my mind.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:31 am Reply with quote
Dude, you need to go to conventions, you don't know what you're missing.

Anime Expo, the biggest anime convention in the world (according to Zac, I didn't know it was that big though) is absolutely awesome. I don't know where to start. There's company panels that announce the newest licenses, news, etc. There's the dealer room with hundreds of stands selling anime merchindise, imports DVD's, CD's and the company's booths even through out prizes and stuff for free (and litterly, they throw them). Often times your able to get DVD's very early and before their release date. Live concerts. J-pop concerts by Japanese singers. I went to KOTOKO's concert last summer. Unfortunetly I wasn't able to make it to Maaya Sakamoto's though. They also have activities throughout the buildings the entire time. You get a chance to meet Japanese and English seiyuu and staff. Some costumes I saw at the convention we're amazing. Some people really put a lot of time into it.

Basically conventions are just extremely fun. At least this goes for Anime Expo. I don't particularly like the smaller ones. Some people like them better, they're not for me though. Just too boring and not enough to do.

I thought Anime Expo was huge and amazing... that was until I went to the Tokyo Game Show in Japan. That thing was absolutely HUGE. I feel like I missed out on SO MUCH there. There was just too much, I couldn't get around to seeing everything there. Not understanding anything didn't help much either. None the less, it was a great experience that I probably won't ever forget. A bit different than American conventions though. The outside connecting alley was full of cosplayers... OMFG you should have seen the people taking pictures of them, they had huge cameras and waited in line to take pictures. I never knew it was taken so seriously there. Also, I noticed there were far more female cosplayers than males, unlike American conventions where it's usually about even. That didn't suprise me though. And yes, all of the photographers were male. I also saw many crossplayers (including males dressed up as females). The scary thing is, often times it was extremely hard to tell if they were crossdressing or not. They really looked that feminine.

I highly recommend going to conventions. I usually enjoy them more than watching the anime I get from them actually.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:13 am Reply with quote
Moved to the Events forum. It just seems to fit better here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steroid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I go for three reasons:

1) To meet other fans. This can be in the context of a panel, wherein I have the chance to discuss issues and controversies, or in informal settings, where a kind of cameraderie exists that doesn't elsewhere. It's the only place I can sing Japanese karaoke without going to Japan, and people will actually talk to you about it. It's a chance to live for a few days in a world of anime fans, to experience the mores and practices of such a world, and maybe in some small way to make real the fantastic world of anime itself.

2) To buy stuff. The selection, value, and convenience are far better than shopping at brick and mortar or online stores. To me it makes more sense to say, "OK, my anime merchandise budget is x dollars, what is being offered and how do I want to distribute that money?" than to simply look at an item online or in a store and say, "Do I want this? Is there something better? Can I afford it?" There's also a sentimental value that attaches to my purchases. I collect pins and I only get them at cons--I can look at each one and remember a con I went to.

3) To sample new anime. I'll look at the schedule and see if there's anything that intrigues me by title, or description, or just because there's nothing opposite I want to do. Then if I like it I'll consider getting the rest of it. In this manner I found Azumanga Daioh, Read or Die, Risky Safety, and Serial Experiments Lain.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
2Real wrote:

Why do you even watch anime? This is such a stupid question.

1. They are fun.
2. You are among friends, fanboys, nerds, geeks, whatever. Like minded people that are as passionate about anime as you are. This is not unlike other comic conventions.
3. Special guests: people from all over the anime industry, voice actors, artists, creators, musicians, everything. These are very cool people that I always like meeting and talking to.
4. NETWORKING. If you want to pursue a career in the field or a similar one, networking is ESSENTIAL.
5. DEALERS. Dealers are worth the price of admission alone. They have so much cool swag at these things I can't even put it into words. Plus you can buy pocky for cheap, POCKY DAMMIT!
6. Panels. QnA's with the special guests.
7. Screenings, get to watch new or upcoming anime, classic stuff as well.
8. Competitions. Amateur editors and film students love to play their hands at the AMV competitions which are pretty popular especially at UshiCon

If this isn't enough, whatever. I can't believe you would ask something like that here. It just boggles my mind.

I don't see why it's a stupid question people watch anime for different reasons, and people like different aspect of the otaku sub culture... Its kinda like me comming here and as people's opinion on gundam modles and people telling me they don't do modles, and I come back with "OMFG do you even like anime?".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2