• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Is Bleach Well...Bleach?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Well I gotta say, Bleach is one hell of a show. This site has a review of the series and well I pretty much agree with everything that's said. Still got a ways to go but the show has definitley hooked me in as a fan. Anyway I was curious, why is the show called Bleach? The only reason I could think of is Ichigo's hair. Granted it is his natural hair color but it is pointed out that his hair is odd and so compared to the others (the males at least) his hair looks well...bleached. Anyway I was just curious where the title for this awesome show came from.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The hair thing was actually my first and only guess. I can't think of any other logical reason of why the title would be called "Bleach" aside from his "bleached" looking hair color.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Well there's one theory that (Warning Spoilers for Episode 59) spoiler[Ichigo has a hollow entity within him which is white and takes control of him briefly in this episode.] I've also heard it could be a Nirvana reference. Other than that I've got no idea.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well there's one theory that (Warning Spoilers for Episode 59) spoiler[Ichigo has a hollow entity within him which is white and takes control of him briefly in this episode.] I've also heard it could be a Nirvana reference. Other than that I've got no idea.

There was a Shonen Jump sneak-peek magazine where they said that Bleach was indeed named after the Nirvana album; the series also contains various other pop culture references (mostly to rock bands).
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Yep, Tite Kubo seems to have a tihng for the pop-cult stuff, msot of his chapter titles are in English too....

(I'm pretty sure...)

He's very Unique IMO
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
The series also contains various other pop culture references (mostly to rock bands).

Really now? I haven't caught any yet but I would really like to know what they are. It looks like I have another Guilty Gear (in terms of rock references meets anime) on my hands.
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Have you guys seen the most recent episodes? Mainly at the end of special episode 63. they have a preview of the next season and mention Bleach: (Episode63/64 spoiler) spoiler["Finally they show themselves. The encompassing darkness. Bleach, the New Angels of Tomorrow. Finally it will start next time" And it shows those 3 new characters. Almost as if the main storyline of series is just beginning to start?]
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Hideyuki wrote:
Yep, Tite Kubo seems to have a tihng for the pop-cult stuff, msot of his chapter titles are in English too....

(I'm pretty sure...)

He's very Unique IMO

This explains for that one cheesy fight-scene BMG...
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
Have you guys seen the most recent episodes? Mainly at the end of special episode 63. they have a preview of the next season and mention Bleach: (Episode63/64 spoiler) spoiler["Finally they show themselves. The encompassing darkness. Bleach, the New Angels of Tomorrow. Finally it will start next time" And it shows those 3 new characters. Almost as if the main storyline of series is just beginning to start?]

Yeah, those are filler episodes. Truthfully, from what I've seen, I think that these fillers ain't gonna turn out bad. Atleast they have a plot planned out (that and spoiler[Renji's going to be helping out Ichigo Anime hyper])
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Yeah, those are filler episodes. Truthfully, from what I've seen, I think that these fillers ain't gonna turn out bad. Atleast they have a plot planned out (that and spoiler[Renji's going to be helping out Ichigo Anime hyper])

Well whatever you call them, seems to be a great storyline, and it looks like there is [episode 65 spoiler[a whole new crew that are not shinigami or quinceys that are also going after hollows]
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
Well whatever you call them, seems to be a great storyline, and it looks like there is [episode 65 spoiler[a whole new crew that are not shinigami or quinceys that are also going after hollows]

I very much agree. ^^ I wonder how the story-line will flow?
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Really now? I haven't caught any yet but I would really like to know what they are. It looks like I have another Guilty Gear (in terms of rock references meets anime) on my hands.

In the article by shonen jump, it mentions a few rock references. The first hollow ichigo fights is called Fishbone D. the fichbone came froma funk band named Fishbone. Spearhead, the mod-soul program, came from rapper Micheal Frantis group. As far as the Nirvana debut album "Bleach" as the name of the series, probably.

There are also movie references as well.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
There was a Shonen Jump sneak-peek magazine where they said that Bleach was indeed named after the Nirvana album; the series also contains various other pop culture references (mostly to rock bands).

Although I love Bleach, this whole pop-culture thing is starting to irritate me. It just seems like the author is excessively incorporating music references in his manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm ... i remember reading somewhere (on a scanlation... but i can't verify it's accuracy)

i read something like "Bleach out the evil"

and i kinda interpret it like kinda like when you use bleach it turns all white ("good") getting rid of the dirt stains ("evil") and it also sanitizes stuff...

I don't think it has to do with ichigo's hair color though..

it might be one of those "random-cool-sounding-english-word-that-doesn't-relate-to-story" type of things
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Nothing has been specifically mentioned in the show. My theory is similar to shirokiryuu's. Such things may come up or be mentioned later, but for now, it was probably just based on a Nirvana album. Tite Kubo seems to like pop-culture references.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3