• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Is Bleach Well...Bleach?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I figured it was called Bleach because Tite Kubo just loves to write stuff in English Laughing
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Nothing has been specifically mentioned in the show. My theory is similar to shirokiryuu's. Such things may come up or be mentioned later, but for now, it was probably just based on a Nirvana album. Tite Kubo seems to like pop-culture references.

I already pointed out that yes, Bleach was mention in the series 2 weeks ago, [episode 63/64 spoiler[It seems that Bleach is the name of that new crew? The exact quote in end of episode was "Bleach, the New Angels of Tomorrow."]
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The title "Bleach" has nothing to do with these new characters, because they aren't in the manga. THIS IS A FILLER ARC. It has nothing to do with the actual storyline or plot.

It would sound like the title is a reference to a Nirvana album. I suspect Ichigo's hair some relation to the title, though it may just be like a double entendre of sorts, both a reference to Nirvana and the fact that Ichigo's hair looks bleached.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
The way I remember it in the manga, its because Ichigo would get picked on for his hair color and "bleaching" his hair. But its in fact his natural hair color so...whatever.

His hair is bleached orange but its his real hair. So deal with it :p .
patch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
shadow_guyver wrote:
The title "Bleach" has nothing to do with these new characters, because they aren't in the manga. THIS IS A FILLER ARC. It has nothing to do with the actual storyline or plot.

Who says the anime version of Bleach has to follow the manga version exactly? Anime hyper

Let's see Cool
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Since the manga came first...

To say that the reasoning behind the title is from a part of the anime, which doesn't feature in the manga would seem a fallacy.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:

To say that the reasoning behind the title is from a part of the anime, which doesn't feature in the manga would seem a fallacy.

My point exactly. Thanks, Coffeeman.
patch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
Coffeeman wrote:

shadow_guyver wrote:
My point exactly. Thanks, Coffeeman.

You guys like to speculate, may I try? To say that the reasoning behind the title is from a part of the anime, which doesn't feature in the manga yet?

So it's ok for you to say you know what's going to happen in the anime for fact until the anime story line progresses? Unless you are involved in the production of the anime? I appologize if you are.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
No one knows what's going to happen in the anime storyline and no one's claiming to. It doesn't matter if the word "Bleach" was mentioned in the preview for the fillers. No one cares. Obviously that's not where the manga OR anime gets its title from.
patch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
No one knows what's going to happen in the anime storyline and no one's claiming to. ... Obviously that's not where the manga OR anime gets its title from.

Sorry, you guys are too much for me tonight.

So no one knows, or do you know?
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
patch wrote:
You guys like to speculate, may I try? To say that the reasoning behind the title is from a part of the anime, which doesn't feature in the manga yet?

Okay, you got us. Tite Kubo might put the filler stuff into the manga at some point in the future. So I'll concede that.

spoiler[However, the fact that the manga has gone on to begin showing the war between the Shingami and Aizen without any mention of these mysterious people in the filler arc leads me to believe that these guys have nothing to do with the actual storyline, and therefore the title of the series.

Could Tite Kubo have some crazy over-arcing plot that will eventually involve these guys in the manga? Anything's possible.

Also, as for where you seem to have gotten this idea from, the preview at the end of episode 63. I think you may have misinterpreted it. I watched it again, and I think it's more a subtitle for the filler arc, than implying that the mystery group is named Bleach.

And where did the "also going after hollows" thing come from? I haven't seen anything to imply that the fight hollows, apart from the gate that looks like the gate to Hell, and that doesn't prove anything.]
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Although I love Bleach, this whole pop-culture thing is starting to irritate me. It just seems like the author is excessively incorporating music references in his manga.

Well then you'll have to be annoyed. He seems to have some degree of fascination with music

I have never heard of any manga that has taken stuff from their anime when the manga was started first...
Foljo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Patachu wrote:
There was a Shonen Jump sneak-peek magazine where they said that Bleach was indeed named after the Nirvana album; the series also contains various other pop culture references (mostly to rock bands).

Although I love Bleach, this whole pop-culture thing is starting to irritate me. It just seems like the author is excessively incorporating music references in his manga.

Now now, great music is fine, at least they don't include some shitty Jpop, like FFX-2 did... ugh.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
what comfuses me is the titles of the chapters to me make sense and sometimes sound cool, but sometimes it feels strange and not grammically correct (i'm not very correct myself, but sometimes it jsut sticks out)

I don't blame him for that since english is proably not his first language, but it sounds awkward
jousha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, I think it's one of those "multiple meanings" of sorts:

1. The "Nirvana" album sounds like a reasonable choice; but as a stand-alone, I don't think it works (There's a reason they chose that specific album, even if it's a "pop culture icon").

2. The literal meaning - bleach removes stains from white clothes and turns whatever it touches into white.

3. The symbolic meaning - bleach represents the good that purifies the evil, the cleansing of hollows, what-have-you.

4. The symbol/representation of the meaning - Ichigo's hair reference; though subtle, it still fits.

There's one image that troubles me, though. When Ichigo fights Byakuya, Ichigo represents the black as Byakuya represents the white. But maybe that means Ichigo needs to cleanse himself from . . . (you know, spoiler[his inner hollow . . .])

Of course, there could be more . . . but I'm not into analyzing anime (or anything for that matter) to that extent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3