• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cobs' Poll: What Kind of Otaku to Have as Boyfriend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icekatana8825

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Film Otaku rank highest, anime otaku rank lowest and consumer electronics otaku are in the middle.

Which just shows how narrow minded and hypocritical Japanese women are (in general)

Last edited by icekatana8825 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
jabba1st

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
why do the percentages of just the top 5 options add up to over 100% O.o

well if 122.1% of 500 people rate anime otaku lowest in their top 5 then i guess were all doomed :'
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Don't get yourselfs fooled. Most people would rather date a non-otaku rather than an otaku, so if the poll was asked about people in general and otaku was on that list, then otaku would probably get something like 5%.

>_>
You have a negative idea about what otaku means. You're probably thinking people that are obsessed with anime. Otaku basically means someone obsessed with a certain something. It doesn't necessarily mean anime. (Well, in everyone outside of Japan that's what the world normally gives idea to...) Hence, a music otaku would be someone really into music, a movie otaku would be someone into movies, etc.
Last I checked, most girls do wanna date dudes that are into music or movies, etc.

And since I'm already posting, anime otaku? I'd be in that percentage. Who wouldn't want a guy who'll watch Gintama or One Piece with you?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
Don't get yourselfs fooled. Most people would rather date a non-otaku rather than an otaku, so if the poll was asked about people in general and otaku was on that list, then otaku would probably get something like 5%.

>_>
You have a negative idea about what otaku means.

Otaku is a negative concept in Japan where this poll is. Laughing
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Ahiru77 wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
százlábú wrote:
What can be the "health otaku"?

I guess the equivalent of those people obsessed with protein shakes who spend every waking hour at the gym?

Heheh...is it really healthy?? Laughing

I don't know about protein shakes...

I guess I'm a health otaku because I eat moderate amount of balanced nutrition and work out 30 minutes everyday.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
If I had a choice, I'd go for a woman who was a consumer electronic "otaku" mostly because of the vast intelligent conversations that could be had and knowledge that could be potentially gained.

There is likely to always be a job in consumer electronics and by no means is a easy field to get into. You have to have two things going for you, skill and patience. Mostly skill these days.

Being a film fanatic could get old very quickly because I watch films to enjoy them and discuss them, but not critique every angle of the film, contentiously. For a short while, it's okay to talk about the film, but eventually I want to talk about something else. Talking about the same topic can only be interesting for so long. Is this a career field in this? Yes, I am not sure if the full time jobs outweigh the contract jobs.

Music otaku? Considering that I don't listen to a ton of mainstream and non mainstream music, I imagine that running out of topics could very well happen and silence for too long is not only potentially awkward, but it also can be uncomfortable as well.

Anime otaku, well I probably have a endless amount of topics to talk about with her, how do you even ask the question if she watches anime in the first place? Although anime has become more common than a decade or two ago, it's still not as common as let's say video games or reality tv shows. And then there is the potential question your partner asking if you think anime girls/guys(?) are better than real women and guys(?)

And it's not like this is Dragon Quest 6 where if you answer yes, you'll get a response (occasionally quite hilarious one at that) but usually shortly afterwards you can answer no and it's still all good. That would be awesome (at least I think it would be cool, if only for a little bit.) but life is seldom that simple. Answer in the wrong way and there is likely to be a interesting conversation to be had.

But in the end, I'd go for a woman electronics otaku, could learn some pretty cool knowledge and could provide you skills for a potential job.

Edit: enurtsol: Not as bad a Hikkimori. That term almost always associated with a negative concept. Welcome To NHK comes to mind (although it's common in Japan, apparently isn't that common enough to make several series about.)
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
I wonder what it would look like if the gender was flipped-- what kind of otaku GIRLfriend would a guy prefer, if he had to choose?

If I had to choose a boyfriend from that list I'd probably go with a film otaku too, actually-- I love watching movies of most any genre and I like to pick them apart, so I think we'd get along.
No game otaku, though :\ Been there, done that. My ex boyfriend went to a dorm meeting once, leaving me in his room with nothing to do. He'd left his computer on and was logged into WoW, so I decided to wander around on there for a while. Other than walking around and being bored, I did absolutely nothing to his half-naked blue elf; but he still started CRYING when he came in and saw me at his computer.
Never again -_-

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Edit: enurtsol: Not as bad a Hikkimori. That term almost always associated with a negative concept.

of course not-- "hikikomori" vs "otaku" is like "antisocial freak" vs "nerd". Neither is good but one is decidedly worse.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
I wonder what it would look like if the gender was flipped-- what kind of otaku GIRLfriend would a guy prefer, if he had to choose?

Probably if it has breasts and walks, would win out. Laughing

Someone should start an otaku dating site, and we'll see the differences, haha.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
If the music otaku are anything like the buffs at my college, I'd disagree. Laughing They'll go ranting why one CD is worse than another and has no soul compared to an indie press label... and don't even think about saying you like a song because it's 'catchy' around them unless you want to see a funny argument.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:

If I had to choose a boyfriend from that list I'd probably go with a film otaku too, actually-- I love watching movies of most any genre and I like to pick them apart, so I think we'd get along.
No game otaku, though :\ Been there, done that. My ex boyfriend went to a dorm meeting once, leaving me in his room with nothing to do. He'd left his computer on and was logged into WoW, so I decided to wander around on there for a while. Other than walking around and being bored, I did absolutely nothing to his half-naked blue elf; but he still started CRYING when he came in and saw me at his computer.
Never again -_-

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Edit: enurtsol: Not as bad a Hikkimori. That term almost always associated with a negative concept.

of course not-- "hikikomori" vs "otaku" is like "antisocial freak" vs "nerd". Neither is good but one is decidedly worse.

Given that I am a gamer (Seven teen years and counting) and I've slightly dabbled in MMORPG games, I can somewhat (not much mind you understand your ex-boyfriend. Probably what he felt was a mixture of embarrassment and fear. Fear that you might have tampered with his creation and was probably embarrassed that his real life girlfriend saw he was looking at another woman in a interesting state of dress.

I once was playing Dragon Quest 8 and buy some new armor for the female character,not looking at the image, but the stats (like any long time gamer) and a friend of mine was there with me and saw the image and needless to say, was very, very awkward even though the image wasn't nearly as bad as what is shown on tv these days. It was a complete accident, but you get the drift.

I could be slightly off base, but there is a difference between the older generation of gamers and the newer ones. I know if I had a gamer girlfriend, I would include her in as many games as possible.

It's not my place to say if your ex-boyfriend over reacted or not, so I am not really sure to be honest.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:

Never again -_-

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

let's go out on a date. ;-3

i wonder why so many people are pissed at the women who took this poll(maybe american otaku assumed if they went to japan that girls there would accept their nerdiness while feeding them ramen, wearing a maid outfit, and marathoning anime shows with them?). normal girls, even some otaku girls, tend to not want to date a guy totally obsessed with watching perverted and ultra-violent cartoon shows. even in america where anime fandom is more accepted, some girls know that if they date a fellow otaku, he might either be obsessed with big-breasted anime maids and totally ignore her/make her jealous of fictional characters.

or

repeatedly harp on her for not being as hardcore an anime fan as he is, not liking the type of anime he likes, etc.

also, people are weird assuming that 'film geek' means you deconstruct every single shot of a film. some people are film geeks simply obsessed with the scripting part, story structure, pacing, etc. or directorial style, or just actors, etc. i can be pretty film geeky, but i can enjoy a fun movie as long as it's not mindless, and i understand when i'm going out on a date with a girl just to spend time together and not to dissect every minute of a movie.

i'm VERY surprised music geek didn't hit number one, though, because a boyfriend who always wants to take you to concerts, has really good musical taste, and possibly plays an instrument seems like it'd be really appealing to ladies.
coral422

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
Do Japanese women really want to date otaku? Otaku are not just fans, they're obsessed with one specific thing. Maybe the connotation of otaku in Japan has slightly changed too. Like how we throw away terms such as "avant garde" and "underground" in almost anything.

Personally I agree with this poll, film otaku are the best indeed, since they let you take and even treat you to a movie at least once a week. Music otaku would take you to concerts and gigs, and consumer electronics otaku would take you to electronic stores and maybe buy you a new headset or something. Health otaku would help you stay fit and would encourage you to go to the gym. Anime otaku, if we're using the REAL meaning of otaku here, would just take you to Toranoana or one of those shops in Akiba.
Talon87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or did the poll only support these five choices? It's unlikely that women given the entirety of otakudom would all congregate around these same five choices. It seems more likely that they were given a list of only these five choices and asked to pick their top choice. In which case ...

It's not just that other kinds of otaku beat anime otaku. It's that anime otaku ranked dead last.

Another possibility, one which would explain why the percentages add up to over 100%, would be if the women were asked, "For each of the following, indicate Yes (Y) or No (N) whether you would be willing to date such an individual" and were then given each of the five pre-canned choices in sequence. In this case, some women could then double or triple-dip, others could vote five straight "No"s in a row, and in the end you'd get the numbers you see here.

Either way, the poll produced humorously opposite results to those for men:

Male Results here
Anime Otaku 22.2%
Film Otaku 18.5%
Home Electronics Otaku 18.5%
Sports Otaku 16.2%
Game Otaku 15.7%
Health Otaku 10.7%

Laughing
Skidaruzutall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I'd be able to make a choice between the type of Otaku I'd prefer if I had to choose. Definitely not the health otaku. That I can say for certain.

Film Otaku - I wouldn't mind dating a film otaku because I'd always have someone to go the movies/stay home and watch a movie with and split the bill. As of now, I go to the movies regularly and always have something coming to me from Netflix. I'm willing to watch anything at least once, but I enjoy action, super hero, martial arts, natural disaster, and zombie flicks the most. For the most part, they have a pretty basic plot and I can enjoy them without having to think too deeply into them. If my film otaku wants to dissect the movie afterwards, I've already learned how to easily tune people out while pretending to actually be listening.

Music Otaku - I enjoy listening to music, but I can get by without it. For the most part, I only listen to music in the car or while I'm at the gym. I do have a best friend who can't live without her music though. She's always going to concerts and collecting paraphernalia for bands she adores. My mind always starts to wander when she's talking about the latest new band that she has found out about. My friend is wonderful and I love everything else about her, but I couldn't imagine dating someone that likes music as much as her.

Gaming Otaku - I grew up playing video games, and I do expect my partner to enjoy playing them as well since it's a big hobby of mine. But, I enjoy playing them, not watching others play, so any game would have to be at least two player, which is great because I do like MMORPGS, racing games, first person shooters, and puzzle games. I do play mostly RPGs though, so if my honey also wants to play them, he'd best do it while I'm at work or not home.

Health Otaku - I might be able to get along with a health nut in the beginning at least, as long as he's got some meat on his bones (I don't want to feel like I can snap him like a twig with a hug). I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, but I'm not a very healthy eater. I like fast food, I like eating greasy food, and I like all you can eat buffets. I'm not so sure how long I'd be able to last with someone who would make me feel guilty for ordering that 1,000 calorie cheesecake or pie on the dessert menu.

Anime Otaku - I wouldn't mind dating an anime otaku as long as our tastes were pretty similar and he doesn't confuse reality with fiction. I'm a real girl and can be just as nasty as a guy, and I'm not cute like those anime girls with the big doe eyes. Also, as long as I don't have to share a bed with him and a body pillow of a young girl with perky breasts, I think we'll be ok.

There are some positives and negatives with each one, but I think in the end I'd prefer another gamer.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If my film otaku wants to dissect the movie afterwards, I've already learned how to easily tune people out while pretending to actually be listening.

isn't that a little mean to do to your boyfriends?

lol, i thought guys were the only ones pro-tuning their girlfriends out, and girls were always complaining about it? guess i've been assuming incorrectly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5