• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment Expired Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Worth noting that a large number of those titles are Bandai Visual properties.

Perhaps BVUSA is planning to release them as well ?

If I were a betting man, my money would be on that.

-t

Keith suggested this as well. They basically raised renewal prices so they could get them back. Especially since Manga wanted the Special Edition of Honneamise. He's pretty sure Honneamise will release WoH and Gunbuster.

As to why they just now admit it, it's because they just learned last month. They've been negotiating for some time on this.

He also told me that Manga UK were the ones that hacked up Dangaio. They don't have the materials to do a uncut release.

Basically, Manga got screwed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Worth noting that a large number of those titles are Bandai Visual properties.

Perhaps BVUSA is planning to release them as well ?

If I were a betting man, my money would be on that.

-t

I'm actually more curious what may happen to New Dominion Tank Police.

Now that the license is up for grabs, will Central Park Media snap it up to add to their license of Dominon Tank Police? Or, will some other company (maybe BVUSA) take it up (perhaps as a part of trying to pick up the license forTank S.W.A.T 01?)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
A Fist tv re-release won't happen as long as Toei's run by a-holes.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
I hope Manga's license with Macross Plus expires so that Bandai Visual USA can finally give it a proper DVD release.

That won't work because Bandai Visual doesn't own it in the first place. Its a Big West property
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
mangajunky wrote:

I have the Brazil boxed set from Criterion and although the extras are amazing, the film itself is not even anamorphic.

-Franky

To be fair, that Brazil set was mastered before 16x9 TVs were even remotely commonplace. Most DVDs manufactured in that time period were not anamorphic. I mean, the thing came out in 1999.

Criterion's releases since then have changed along with the rest of the DVD industry. Everything even kinda recent is anamorphic.

GATSU wrote:
A Fist tv re-release won't happen as long as Toei's run by a-holes.

I think you mean "a Fist TV re-release won't happen as long as nobody feels like losing giant piles of money".
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
If ADV can take a chance on Shadow Skill, then I'm sure Fist has enough of a market to at least make a quick buck.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
areaseven wrote:
I hope Manga's license with Macross Plus expires so that Bandai Visual USA can finally give it a proper DVD release.

That won't work because Bandai Visual doesn't own it in the first place. Its a Big West property

Bandai Visual did pay for a good part of it, and likely handled the distribution in Japan (I don't recall for certain), so I imagine that gives them first dibs on it.
Unforg1ven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
Whats with all the hate for HnK?

Anyway... here are some fansubs of HnK if you really want to see how good this series really is.

[I'm a frickin' moron who doesn't read the damned rules!]
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
People hate Fist, cus none of the male characters fawn over each other.
Area88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Lol unfortunatly the only fawning was between Shin and Yuria.

FONS certanly has it's moments but doesn't anyone else hate 'Bart' and that annoying red hair girl. Why were they in the tv series, WHY?

Also amount of filler episodes it took for Ken to finally have a showdown with Shin was riduclous.

That aside, FONS is a decent series but there are more important shows from the 80's that need a release in the US.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see any one of those titles re-released but, with the unpopularity of older anime these days I don't think much of Manga's stuff will be picked back up for re-release. Gunbuster is one that I'm sure will but, Fist of the North Star...I personally love the series but it's not a very well reviewed title. I'm practically begging for a Gunbuster release though. Red Hawk would be neat to see in it's original Korean language too but, I don't think that'll get re-released either. Not much of their catalogue fits the current mold for anime these days so, I'm sure most of those titles will fall into obscurity with the exception of like Honneamise and probably a few others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scatteredshadows

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
My wife and I were watching FotNS when it was being shown on Encore's Action channel a year or two ago. Before that, I'd only read the brief Viz manga release from way back and watched the feature film. The series turned out to be great fun, although Encore only got through 20-some episodes.

Now, by 'great fun', I mean that it was entertaining despite, in fact often because of, it's flaws. We laughed uproariously when Ken unleashed his fearsome 'North Star Fist of Lingering Regret' on one of the villains for example. Despite it's charms though, I have to say that it would probably have become pretty tiresome before long, although I was hoping they'd at least get to the episodes with more Rei action.

Anyway, this Manga announcement is great news to me. Gunbuster and WoH are all time favorites, so I'd be very happy to see them get the treatment that the first two Patlabor films are getting. It's sad that Gunbuster especially has been so neglected. Not only do I never get tired of it but I've always found it to be an excellent gateway anime. Along with the Ghibli films, WoH, GitS, Bebop, Maison Ikkoku, Satoshi Kon's stuff and a few others, Gunbuster is part of my anime indocrination kit. It hits on many of the classic anime conventions, even as it's skillfully crafted and offers a compelling story unto itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3