• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Sword Art Online, Accel World Light Novels, More Madoka Magica Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
OMG! YES! Take my money! Definitely gonna pre-order both Accel World and SAO. So ecstatic about this announcement. Hopefully this would open more opportunities for other LN series to be license and release. =)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Would it be to much to ask for yen to finish spice and wolf along with rescuing FMP, tweleve kingdoms, and gosick (or heck even the sub pair in compression anime).
Or heck the end of future diary or rest of deadman wonderland

Great day for AW and SAO fans might pick up AW myself.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Not interested in this batch, but it's sure to bring YP some cash. So, all's good. I might eventually pick up the Madoka manga when I (finally) get around to watching the anime.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
or rest of deadman wonderland.

Deadman Wonderland was rescued by VIZ. The first volume is slated for February.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Not interested in this batch, but it's sure to bring YP some cash. So, all's good. I might eventually pick up the Madoka manga when I (finally) get around to watching the anime.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

How did i miss that lol
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

How did i miss that lol
NoremaC-_-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
this is awesome, i was thinking about reading them books. i hope this turns out well so i can see other series arrive over-shores. as much as i want to support my favourite light-novel series' another £120 venture for 7 books will be the end of me.
Wildcat17

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
...I am praying that YP also gets the anthology manga though...

This.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
Sasukeuzi wrote:
partially wrote:
Sasukeuzi wrote:
Light novels are a very poor form of media in North America. Does anyone feel like that this may do more harm than good for Yen Press?

Why would it cause any more harm compared to any of the previous light novels they are releasing? Book Girl, Spice and Wolf etc. Yen Press have been releasing light novels for years. Although I would agree that the format is a fairly poor form of media. .

It costs money to license popular series like those. That's one of the reasons why Vertical couldn't even get the Durarara light novel series.

I'm not gonna talk sales numbers even though they are easy to access for novels. The market has been challenging though and there have been only a few real success stories - vampire hunter d being the most obvious (initially).

But regarding why we didn't pick up DRRR is mainly. Due to Yen having the options for it. Our second issue is our own budgeting. Given how much we pay translators we cannot afford to pick up LN series longer than 3 vols/600pg. We pay by the word and a novel of around 200pgs or so come out to around $9-12K just for the translation. (One of our manga usually averages around $2K; while the industry average is much much lower). So we'd rather work with quality over quantity due to our finances (remember we're the second smallest pub not the second largest pub like Yen Smile ) For example our release of Koji Suzuki's EDGE just won a Shirley Jackson Award and is getting offers from Hollywood. That might pay off more in the long-run than a long light novel series (especially given how tough that market has been. And we know... We've released a couple - Guin Saga, Enma the Immortal, Gray Men and our next LN Quick Draw is coming next year).
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
Maybe there's still hope for the From The New World novels after all?

I don't have any interest in those 2 particular titles, but I certainly hope they both do well for YP so they keep licensing more light novels, and maybe someday grab one of those series I'm actually interested in. This is definitely a great day for the industry, and LN fans out there.

Last edited by fireaxe on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Accel World?
Holy hell, yes! Very Happy

Kinda hope they nabbed Versus as well just for the sheer premise of it.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
And another Yen Press industry panel goes by where they didn't announce they'd translate the Baccano! light novels. Starting to think no one will give it a shot now despite the basic premise seeming like a complete and total slam dunk.

You read my mind, mate, though I am very pleased to see more light novels get a stateside release. I'll forever hold out hope for DRRR!! as well.

I really enjoyed SAO's anime, at least the Aincrad arc, so I'm psyched to read past what was covered in the TV show. I'm hoping next the Progressive manga will be licensed as I'm not a huge fan of the other two manga's art styles.

The Madoka manga by Hanokage is a joy so this AU spinoff is a no-brainer buy.

I've yet to sample anything of Accel World, but it seems promising enough.

Lastly, @fireaxe: Absolutely yes. I want FTNW too.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
kotelocl wrote:
I know nobody gives a DAMN about Accel World, and I also know that it's most likely being dragged along with sao for some obscure reason, like, they only gave sao if they also bought AW... but I don't care, I'm happy for Accel World now.

I feel fast right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isnNh9PUNkQ

Second season never... Anime cry

The sad thing is I think the Accel World anime and in general story at least is superior to the SAO one in just about every way yet it doesn't get anywhere near it's due cause it wasn't hyped to the high heavens like SAO was and people are incredibly butthurt over the idea of a main hero that isn't your standard bishonen superman and has start from even further back on the ladder than your average action series MC.

Thing that won me over to AW quicker than SAO was that it felt like it had more of a sense of purpose to it and was actually about a guy learning about a game world and getting better at it as time goes whereas SAO feels kind of aimless and like it's more about Kirito building a harem and having a new random half-baked adventure each volume as a guise to do so. I think if Kirito didn't instantly start as the absolute best of the best and had to remain as such throughout the course of the story it would have worked out better for it.

Anyway for that reason I'm probably one of the few people that is interested in getting what I can of Accel World before it's inevitably cancelled, but really doesn't care either way about the SAO novels being translated
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
i feel like only SAO, Index, haruhi have a chance in the NA market right now
i can only hope for monobakari series.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i feel like only SAO, Index, haruhi have a chance in the NA market right now
i can only hope for monobakari series.

Never mind that Yen Press is still publishing light novels that aren't SAO, Index or Haruhi....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4