• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Films Website Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
But to that, I imagine that Funimation has amassed a good amount of profit from things like The DBZ series to be able to spend it on things like this. So...voila.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
But to that, I imagine that Funimation has amassed a good amount of profit from things like The DBZ series to be able to spend it on things like this. So...voila.

I imagine that most of the financial backing would be from Navarre and not just FUNi's assets. Nevertheless, many of the films put out by the 'art-house' wings of the major studios don't enjoy a wide distribution, so we'll have to wait and see what Lance and/or FUNi has to say.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Navarre is one the largest suppliers and distributors of DVD in North America. I imagine they have money to burn as well.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote
Hmm, seems like an odd combination of movies. One that's a sequel to another (and has been out on DVD for quite some time) paired with another set several years later with a completely unrelated plotline. I would say this might be confusing to audiences, but then I figure that most of the people who would go watch are probably already familiar with the DBZ universe and (like me Very Happy ) probably already saw the movies on DVD or fansubbed years ago Wink
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Yeah, I know, that's why I was using Steamboy as a more realistic example.

Since it's Dragonball Z, I really don't see most mainstream critics enjoining readers/viewers to overcome their anti-cartoon resistance and witness it on the full screen in all its glory, they way they mostly do for Ghibli films, so I wasn't using Disney's relatively wider distribution of the Miyazaki films as a guideline.

No, but because it's DBZ, if you advertise to the kids/teens who're into it, like something such as Pokemon or Digimon, you might still get a fair number of kiddies begging their parents to let them see Goku duke it out on the big screen.
Shi-ne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Whoa! DBZ in theaters? I remember seeing "Fusion Reborn" for the first time years ago and I always thought about how cool it would be to see it on the big screen. Especially that fight between Goku and Janenba; Of course they'll replace the original japanese music with heavy metal. Maybe Funimation should release it in theaters with the original japanese dialogue. Either way, it's good to see more anime finally getting into theaters.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Considering that both comprise only half the length of a standard movie, the only way I could see that working would be to show them back to back (possibly promoting it as a "DBZ double feature" or something like that). Cause really, with movie prices the way they are, I doubt many parents will want to shell out that kind of money for a 45 minute feature.

I do like that idea of showing dubbed and subbed dually, though. Let the kiddies who only know the American version go see the (likely edited) dub, and let the uptight purists like me go see the subbed version. I'll be buying the DVD of movie 12 regardless, but still it'd be nice to see it on the big screen once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
Considering that both comprise only half the length of a standard movie, the only way I could see that working would be to show them back to back (possibly promoting it as a "DBZ double feature" or something like that). Cause really, with movie prices the way they are, I doubt many parents will want to shell out that kind of money for a 45 minute feature.

This is what they are doing. They are showing movies 6 and 12 together. That comes out to about a feature length.

I'd just show movies 5 and 6 together since they are both Cooler movies.

Quote:

I do like that idea of showing dubbed and subbed dually, though. Let the kiddies who only know the American version go see the (likely edited) dub, and let the uptight purists like me go see the subbed version. I'll be buying the DVD of movie 12 regardless, but still it'd be nice to see it on the big screen once.

They definitely won't do that. The younger kids aren't going to want to see the Japanese version. I doubt parents will either.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I probably should have looked at the site before replying to this news....

"FUNimation Films will be going nationwide in March at select theaters starting with a double feature of Dragon Ball Z Fusion Reborn and Dragon Ball Z The Return of Cooler."

Yeah, this makes better sense now. Although it'd still make more sense to show 5 and 6 back to back, or 8 and 10.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
Heh, I probably should have looked at the site before replying to this news....

"FUNimation Films will be going nationwide in March at select theaters starting with a double feature of Dragon Ball Z Fusion Reborn and Dragon Ball Z The Return of Cooler."

Yeah, this makes better sense now. Although it'd still make more sense to show 5 and 6 back to back, or 8 and 10.

From there perspective, they probably want to show a new one they haven't released on DVD yet, and an older one they already have and see how it will sell.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:

From there perspective, they probably want to show a new one they haven't released on DVD yet, and an older one they already have and see how it will sell.

Hm, yeah that would make sense. If this experiment goes well, perhaps they'll show 8 and 13 together, since these are usually the choices for favorite DBZ flicks when you ask anyone who's seen them all.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that FUNimation will put the Bleach Movie in theaters next Year?? They'll get the anime to replace FMA in a few months as the new "Big Thing" that the AS will need to replace Inu and FMA!!
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
What I hope it means is that they will put the Fullmetal Alchemist movie in theatres at the very least. Hopefully THIS YEAR isn't out of the question. Considering how fast they got the series on Adult Swim.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Does this mean that FUNimation will put the Bleach Movie in theaters next Year?? They'll get the anime to replace FMA in a few months as the new "Big Thing" that the AS will need to replace Inu and FMA!!

......Bleach movie? What are you talking about?
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
What I hope it means is that they will put the Fullmetal Alchemist movie in theatres at the very least. Hopefully THIS YEAR isn't out of the question. Considering how fast they got the series on Adult Swim.

Remember, though, in Japan the movie didn't come out in theatres until a good nine months or so after the end of the series, so if there is something done with the FMA movie, don't be surprised if you have to wait...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3