• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Buy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunshottrigun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I've gotten anime at Best buy and it seems alot cheaper, or is just me?
Suncoast seems over priced, even though they just got filed for a law suit.
I mean other than that I don't know were to get anime. I have never order online. Is it safe and cheaper?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I've found a few great deals at Best Buy before. I've bought Geneon DVDs for as low as $14.99 and Bandai titles for as low as $6.99.

However, most of my shopping is done online. I've done so for about 6 years and have never had anything bad happen in terms of my credit card number being stolen or stuff like that.

I also use eBay from time to time, but only if the DVD I'm looking for is rare. Although, sometimes if you look around enough you can find brand new DVDs for a fraction of the retail price.

For online stores, I'd suggest DVD Price Search. It's basically a search engine for DVDs and puts each title in order of price. From using it, the three sites I end up going to the most are Overstock, DVD Pacific, and Deep Discount DVD.

On occasion, I also buy from The Right Stuf International. They have great deals in their Bargain Bin from time to time and offer lots of coupons (about 3 per month, I think). Although, most of their stuff is just barely below retail, so I don't buy from them too much.
Fui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Bestbuy FTW!

Seriously their anime is so cheap compared to some other retailers. Since Bestbuy is only a block away from where I live I go down there all the time to peruse their in-store supply. It's pretty rare for their anime to be more expensive than other places. It's almost never like a realllly good deal but they definitely almost always offer competetive prices that are hard to beat.

I also don't buy online because my credit limit is pretty pathetic and my parents pay all my bills (so them receiving charges for anime from BestBuy would annoy them since they're already paying for all my tuition and crap). I'm just glad BestBuy has pretty good deals and I never feel guilty or cheated whenever I shop there for anime. Their selection is definitely limited though so you'd have to check other online retailers like Tony K. listed. I think animecastle has some decent prices, too, but I haven't looked too much into comparing prices.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
I think animecastle has some decent prices, too, but I haven't looked too much into comparing prices.

Their prices are about 20% off the retail, which is pretty low compared to the sites I mentioned. They also sell some bootlegs. I'd stick with Best Buy or try shopping online.
gunshottrigun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Fui wrote:
I think animecastle has some decent prices, too, but I haven't looked too much into comparing prices.

Their prices are about 20% off the retail, which is pretty low compared to the sites I mentioned. They also sell some bootlegs. I'd stick with Best Buy or try shopping online.

is Robert's Anime Corner store a good place to shop?
I see it advertied in Newtype and here at ANN.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
gunshottrigun wrote:

I've never shopped there myself. But just by looking at the prices, unless they're having clearance sales on specified volumes (i.e. separate volumes of Azumanga Daioh), then the places I suggested are still better in terms of price comparisson.

Deep Discount DVD used to be my primary source for buying anime because they had really good prices and free shipping for anything. However, they've since raised the prices on their Geneon and ADV titles within the last year or so. And with that, I just rely on the search engine on DVD Price Search from now on (and occasionally eBay).
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I buy most my Anime from Best Buy as there's no shortage of them in this area and there prices are generally pretty good, not to mention they have a habit of putting anime on the shelves 1 to 2 weeks before they're officially released.

I never ordered anime over the net much before but have a great deal more over the past year. I've ordered from Anime Castle, The Right Stuf, and TFAW and occassionally Amazon as sometimes they have better prices on new releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gundamfan80

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I get great deals most of the time at dvd pacific (sometimes after shipping its only a few cents lower than bestbuy but that doesn't happen that often).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
X TV box for $40 is probably the best deal you'll ever get anywhere.
xfob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:57 pm Reply with quote
gunshottrigun wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
Fui wrote:

I've shopped at Robert's Anime Corner and I can say those guys are wonderful. Their prices are decent and their service is fantastic.
xfob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Where was that at?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I usually buy all my R1 DVDs from either Best Buy or Fry's Electronics. They usually have around the same prices. Fry's selection is much larger then BB's so I prefer them. Unlike Best Buy I don't think Fry's ever gets rid of old anime, they still have anime on their shelves that came out years ago. Fry's is farther away from where I live so I buy most of the newer stuff at my Best Buy. I buy stuff online sometimes but I just prefer going into stores and actually purchasing stuff in person for some reason.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Well, it's actually $80 altogether, with the series being divided into two $40 boxes (volumes 1-4, and volumes 5-8).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
xfob wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Where was that at?

It should be at any Best Buy.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
If you aren't fortunate enough to have a local anime shop to purchase your anime from, by all means, pick em up at Best Buy. Their prices are usually the lowest prices that you will find anywhere.

While I have the choice between the local (non-bootlegging) anime shops and Best Buy, I will usually buy from the local (non-bootlegging) anime shops. I do so because 1) I have friends that work and shop there, 2) I want to see them succeed and 3) they are specialty shops specifically for otaku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2