• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shinichiro Watanabe lecture in Houston, TX

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bebopag812

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
It was awesome!! I absolutely enjoyed myself. Some of the questions were a little drawn out, but I loved the viewings and I now have an autographed copy of the movie!! Yay! So, just wanted to get other people's thoughts and opinions. I really wish I could see the rest of Champloo - I've seen a few. Anybody know what's going on with that and Cartoon Network? Just curious... Also, just wondering when the interview will be posted...I'm assuming it will be.
nagi_kirima

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
I watched the rest of Samurai Champloo by Netflix. They are only showing Samurai Champloo once a week now. I did like the lecture. It was pretty awesome. However thought it would be greater to have the whole anime episode in IMAX shot and surround sound but oh well. It was fine the way it was.

-edit- Oh It was the best birthday present! Wink Thanks Matthew. You were right. This birthday present owns all the rest!
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Just some interesting tidbits for people that weren't at the lecture:

Two big influences on Watanabe when he was growing up:
The band Kiss and the Clint Eastwood movie "Dirty Harry" Very Happy

He also talked about Bebop and how he was very much influenced by the philosophies of Bruce Lee while making it. Mainly in the point that you're at your most creative when you're relaxed and how he told his animators never to draw any characters in a rigid sitting position. He always wanted them to be lounging or leaning back, relaxed. Very interesting.

Also, a lot of the backgrounds in the first Bebop episodes were taken from picture books of Texas, something I would never have known, although to see land like that, you'd have to go out into West Texas. He also said that Texas was the birthplace of cowboys.

He gave a brief outline of his career to this point, then said he is currently working on a short 15 minute anime in a very different mode, a boy-meets-girl story! Shocked Then he mentioned a top secret project that he couldn't comment on but he said he's never done anything like it. Could it be the sequel to Bebop??? Who knows.

The auditorium was pretty much filled and it looked like he was having fun. The question and answer session at the end was mercifully cut short. I would say half of the people preceded their questions with 4 minutes of rambling commentaries, especially some annoying people talking about how they've been exposed to so many different cultures due to his shows. "Florence, listen to this new music, it's called hip-hop!" Wink Jeez. It was truly awful. An audience member would be rambling on, and Watanabe would just look at them and say "....and your question is?"

Autograph session followed. Some funny incidents. Watanabe asked small children to leave the room before the showing of the episodes because of the violence, at that instant what looked like a 3 or 4 year old starting bawling its eyes out. The Japanese Consul while introuducing the lecture asked the audience "How many of you are familiar with Watanabe's works?" Of course the whole audience raised their hands and a big laugh. Laughing Maybe he thought we were there for something else?

At the autograph session, Watanabe jokingly complained that people were only bringing Volume 1 of the Bebop dvd to sign. I brought Samurai champloo volume 1. All in all, it was pretty awesome and hopefully he had a very positive experience and will visit again. And bring Yoko Kanno along!

There was great turnout and it would be cool if the Museum would do more things like this. What would be even better would be to bring not just directors but voice actors, music, etc. For example, bring the cast and staff of Fullmetal Alchemist.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:

At the autograph session, Watanabe jokingly complained that people were only bringing Volume 1 of the Bebop dvd to sign.

When I went to pick up my equipment from the IMAX booth today, I was told by one of my friends that someone had brought in the entire Bebop set to be signed along with some magazines or something.

They'll be coverage of the lecture on ANN soon. I just have to spend some time working on it.
nagi_kirima

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
freshkazuki wrote:

At the autograph session, Watanabe jokingly complained that people were only bringing Volume 1 of the Bebop dvd to sign.

When I went to pick up my equipment from the IMAX booth today, I was told by one of my friends that someone had brought in the entire Bebop set to be signed along with some magazines or something.

They'll be coverage of the lecture on ANN soon. I just have to spend some time working on it.
Do you know how to get ANN?
Proz512

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
I used my mp3 player to record the Q&A section of the lecture:

Q&A Lecture with Watanabe

This is not high quality by any means. You will hear a lot of clicks, shuffling & audience commentary during the lecture. You will need to turn up your speakers in order to hear it at all.

I will request that ya'll do not link to the file besides on this forum. You may grab it and host it yourself (including ANN). This is for the people who were there that would like to relisten or to the ones who missed it. I didn't record the first part because I had a feeling he would talk about some exclusive insider info that he didn't want to be revealed beyond the lecture.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
Proz512 wrote:
I didn't record the first part because I had a feeling he would talk about some exclusive insider info that he didn't want to be revealed beyond the lecture.

If so, the host/MC should have informed you guys that no photo/audio/video recording is allowed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

If so, the host/MC should have informed you guys that no photo/audio/video recording is allowed.

The museum was rather new to this type of thing occuring, so they didn't really plan that sort of thing out all. And yes, he did reveal information that he didn't want to be made public. I don't want to reveal too much at the moment on the boards, but let's just say that there is an 'official' high quality video of the lecture, and 'official' high quality pics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1