• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Air

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching this anime and I think it was a wonderful story beautifully told. I really recommend it to anyone.

There were a few things I did not understand though.

Yukito spoiler[turns into a crow in order to somehow help Misuzu, who is the reincarnation of Kanna. But at the end Misuzu dies anyway and Kanna is not free from her curse. So what was the point of his transformation if it didn't accomplish anything?].

Also, does anybody understand why close to the end Misuzu spoiler[ was feeling better, then deteriorating, losing her memory, then feeling better again, and when she was feeling the best she had and was able to walk, she died? ]

I'd like to see your answers or your theories for the explanations of these events.

Smile

Luminal
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
Air was discussed somewhat recently on this thread. It may help answer some of your questions. As for me, I'm not really the type to discuss specifics in this kind of anime. I like to leave most of it up to interpretation.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:47 am Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:

Also, does anybody understand why close to the end Misuzu spoiler[ was feeling better, then deteriorating, losing her memory, then feeling better again, and when she was feeling the best she had and was able to walk, she died? ]
Luminal

I think that she spoiler[isn't actually feeling better. She lies to Haruko and says that she's feeling better, when her wings are hurting more and more, and she continues to see dreams, especially when she tells Haruko that she saw a happy dream, but then says to herself, "It was a sad dream...the saddest dream in the world." Perhaps she got a bit of "energy" when she and Haruko were finally able to become family, allowing her to make that one last walk. Unfortunately, I don't really feel like re-watching the episode, like I did when I answered the previous post...well, you know why.]
Luminal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your answers guys, I'll check that thread you are talking about Pantsgoblin.

Zalis, that makes sense. This is probably the saddest anime I've ever seen and the saddest ending ever. But it is also one of the best I've seen.

Luminal
Steroid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote
As I understood it, spoiler[Misuzu was not the reincarnation of Kanna, but a normal girl who Kanna tried to give her powers to, and this killed her (the "ocean pouring into a jar" analogy.) ]

Here's my interpretation of the whole series: spoiler[In the "summer" arc (the one 1000 years ago), Kanna is compelled by her hereditary curse to rise to the sky in order to save Ryuya and Uraha. By the Bhuddist curse, she is forced to see that she has failed and that her friends are dead. So she is in constant pain and torture, despite being charged as a winged person to keeping the memories of people. Ryuya and Uraha see no way to help her, but they agree to procreate in order to have hope for the future, and Uraha uses the rest of her magic to make the moving doll and teach it to her child. Fast forward 1000 years to Yukito, the descendent of Ryuya and Uraha, Who meets Misuzu, the afflicted girl who speaks of her other self. Her ailments are clearly shadows of those suffered by Kanna--she cries when she makes friends, she loses her memory, she cannot move, and in the most powerful line in the series, says that it's not her feet or hands that hurt, but her wings.

Yukito, by this time, has found a way to master the magic of the doll, by consulting the kids at the end of Episode 7. In doing so, he is able to transform into the crow. As Sora, he has no trouble making friends with Misuzu and in seeing that she needs her mother (as an aside: a major flaw in the series is that Haruko is essentially played off as a joke in the early episodes, with no indication that she's going to be an important character later). Sora-Yukito gets to live through the rest of the summer with Misuzu, seeing her become happy for the first time in her life, even though she dies right afterwards. Carrying this happy memory, and having become winged himself, he is now able to fly to the sky and relieve Kanna of her curse. So it's not a completely sad ending. Misuzu died happy, and to relieve the pain of a god-like being.]
Luminal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
As I understood it, spoiler[Misuzu was not the reincarnation of Kanna, but a normal girl who Kanna tried to give her powers to, and this killed her (the "ocean pouring into a jar" analogy.) ]

Here's my interpretation of the whole series: spoiler[In the "summer" arc (the one 1000 years ago), Kanna is compelled by her hereditary curse to rise to the sky in order to save Ryuya and Uraha. By the Bhuddist curse, she is forced to see that she has failed and that her friends are dead. So she is in constant pain and torture, despite being charged as a winged person to keeping the memories of people. Ryuya and Uraha see no way to help her, but they agree to procreate in order to have hope for the future, and Uraha uses the rest of her magic to make the moving doll and teach it to her child. Fast forward 1000 years to Yukito, the descendent of Ryuya and Uraha, Who meets Misuzu, the afflicted girl who speaks of her other self. Her ailments are clearly shadows of those suffered by Kanna--she cries when she makes friends, she loses her memory, she cannot move, and in the most powerful line in the series, says that it's not her feet or hands that hurt, but her wings.

Yukito, by this time, has found a way to master the magic of the doll, by consulting the kids at the end of Episode 7. In doing so, he is able to transform into the crow. As Sora, he has no trouble making friends with Misuzu and in seeing that she needs her mother (as an aside: a major flaw in the series is that Haruko is essentially played off as a joke in the early episodes, with no indication that she's going to be an important character later). Sora-Yukito gets to live through the rest of the summer with Misuzu, seeing her become happy for the first time in her life, even though she dies right afterwards. Carrying this happy memory, and having become winged himself, he is now able to fly to the sky and relieve Kanna of her curse. So it's not a completely sad ending. Misuzu died happy, and to relieve the pain of a god-like being.]

That is a very sensible interpretation and I can accept most of it, but in the end spoiler[ Yukito flies away and says he is going to continue searching. Meaning that Misuzu dies and the spirit of Kanna will reincarnate again, still with the curse which didn't seem to be lifted. However, this time Yukito is a crow and did not leave any children to go find the reincarnation of Kanna again. ].

Man I get so sad just from remembering it...

Sad

Luminal
Steroid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
That is a very sensible interpretation and I can accept most of it, but in the end spoiler[ Yukito flies away and says he is going to continue searching. Meaning that Misuzu dies and the spirit of Kanna will reincarnate again, still with the curse which didn't seem to be lifted. However, this time Yukito is a crow and did not leave any children to go find the reincarnation of Kanna again. ].

Man I get so sad just from remembering it...

Sad

Luminal

The line, according to the subs I have, is spoiler["So I will go on a voyage to continue searching for her. And someday, I will bring her back to welcome a new beginning" And then he takes off into the sky. So, technically, he may not succeed. But if not, then the series becomes anecdotal and unimportant. So I prefer to believe in him.]
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
Thanks for your answers guys, I'll check that thread you are talking about Pantsgoblin.

Zalis, that makes sense. This is probably the saddest anime I've ever seen and the saddest ending ever. But it is also one of the best I've seen.

Luminal

someone needs to go watch him some SaiKano....

however this was in no way happy-happy fun.... Sad

why is it, that all of the BEST anime series, have the saddest and most depressing endings in all of ever?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:28 am Reply with quote
I thought the end of Air was up to the viewers personal interpetation of what happened and personally spoiler[ I thought Yukito did break Kanna's curse, when Misuzu is finally able to tell her mother that she loved her. Yes, Misuzu up and dies pretty much in the next scene but she was finally able to say it out loud and seem to be truely feeling what she was saying.

So after Sora leaves, we cut back to the children on the beach, now seeing a earlier scene with Yukito and Misuzu from their point of view. IMO, those children are Yukito and Misuzu re-incarnated in the future and when they grab each others hands and walk off down the beach, they are showing that they are now free of the curse.

Now the fact that the two children are seeing Yukito and Misuzu across time (and vice versa) is IMO not something that happened out of the blue but is in keeping in line with how Air deals with time. In my view, Air has a strong element of mystisim and the past, present, and future seem to co-mingle. Both Yukito and Sora co-exist in the same time frame, even though they are the same person and it is my feeling that the children on the beach are images of the future, while Yukito and Misuzu are images of the past to them.]

Anyway, I don't think there is a right or wrong way to see how things worked in the show but I'm sure everyones mileage is going to vary on it Smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1