• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy: Oh, and the notes for Naoki Urasawa in the U.S. edition of 20CB or Pluto say he liked Akira too. As for comedy, I think Otomo just aims for something darker and less obvious. For example, have you seen Neo Tokyo and Robot Carnival? His weakness appears to be when he tries to be intentionally light-hearted. [*cough* Steamboy *cough*.]

Fay: He mentioned Tetsujin in the HC "Akira Club" which you can get from Dark Horse, but as I said on a different thread, I feel more like he's parodying T28. The reason is that his Kaneda's a lot more reckless and immature than the T28 Kaneda I've seen in the '04 anime. Plus, the whole Tetsuo rebelling against Kaneda angle sounds a bit like something meant to be subversive to T28 by making it look like humans (even the "good" ones) were exploiting the technology for their own pleasure. I mean, yeah, maybe he did like T28 as a kid for realz, but those two are nothing alike in tone.
timesteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

Any truth to the belief that Otomo was inspired from Tetsujin 28 when he was writing Akira? I mean, Akira being the Number 28 psychic, Kaneda and Tetsuo's last names (I think Col. Shikishima might be related to this as well) or is it all a big coincidence? Inquiring minds want to know!

there is a connection it's technically an alternate retelling of tetsujin 28 here's the proof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIZZoHF8VmQ
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Of course, now that collective anger's been commodified with the help of Fight Club and Hot Topic, but as I personally noted on Twitter, I couldn't help but think of the protests in the Akira movie when I read what's been going on in Egypt and Wisconsin.

Did you seriously just equate Fight Club with Hot Topic?
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Akira is one of those film to which I have seen more than 15 times and still willing to. But by reading this I have noticed that I am missing a lot of the story.

I really need to pick up Akira now; the reason I haven't picked up the manga is because I thought it was too pricey for me (since I am a teenager with no job and barely gets any allowance).

And in the same time I am really wishing for Otomo to make Akira OVAs, for those that don't read manga.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
chicken: Yeah, Fight Club's kind of like that recurring joke about Che Guevara being on t-shirts.

Psycho: I know how you feel, 'cus back when I got the back-issue singles for Akira, some of those prices were outrageous. Just get 'em when you can, 'cus unlike the Dark Horse days, I doubt they're going anywhere. And yeah, I would've liked Akira to be a tv show myself.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I have always wanted to read Akira... bt Damn! It's so expensive to import a version I can read Sad One day, one day.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Akira: The greatest manga ever, and one of the finest works of fiction in the world!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
chicken: Yeah, Fight Club's kind of like that recurring joke about Che Guevara being on t-shirts.

Okay...I'll bite: How so?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

[Otomo] spent some time in New York, which made a big impression on him; one of his first manga collections—which he now refuses to allow to be printed in English, apparently because he doesn't like it anymore—was Sayonara Nippon, a collection of New York stories.

Probably because he's just embarrassed that Americans would find out his mistakes in those stories. It's like you guys writing about stories of Tokyo way back when you were greenhorn to anime and releasing it in Japanese. Razz

Anyways, back when sci-fi and cyberpunk ruled anime fandom, Akira was a must-see for anyone getting into the fandom. Oh how times -and styles- have changed.... Laughing
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
It's the Moebius-influenced artwork, combined with Otomo's incredible feel for panel composition and page layout, that makes Akira such a stunning piece of work. Any time there's a small hiccup in the plotting or pacing, it's more than compensated for by the visuals.
Overall, it's one of the best - and most ambitious - Japanese comics I've ever read. Domu is even better.

To be fair, Otomo wasn't the only one japanese artiste being influenced by Moebius during these days. Metal Hurlant (Heavy Metal) was getting roadways in USA and Japan at the begining of the 80s and art from people like Miyazaki or Kobayashi Makoto showed some similiraties with the author or Arzach those years.

Gatsu wrote:

That's only 'cus Carl didn't have the same distribution power as Manga video. But Akira was still bigger culturally here than GITS. [Though by then, I think the focus shifted to Ninja Scroll.] I mean, people initially thought that was the anime which appeared in that Michael Jackson 90s video, Scream. In fact, I think the only reason Akira might be as alien to later generations of manga/anime fans as Astro Boy was to us was that the era was different back then, given the rise of social networking, and emo. Oh and Anno killing anime with his "let's piss off everyone for the sake of pissing 'em off" approach, which is why we have moe. I mean, I'm not saying there aren't still a lot of legitimately alienated people out there, but Akira was one of the last titles which spoke to a generation of teens and young adults who were sick of being fed bullshit about their supposed value in society. Of course, now that collective anger's been commodified with the help of Fight Club and Hot Topic, but as I personally noted on Twitter, I couldn't help but think of the protests in the Akira movie when I read what's been going on in Egypt and Wisconsin.

Plenty of memories reading your piece, here.
Thanks you.
rojse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
I love the Akira manga and the Akira anime - the graphic novel series is intelligent, stylish and violent, and the movie is an excellent adaptation of the original source material - although many parts of the story have changed, the central concepts are identical, the themes of the story are kept intact, and the movie is rather intelligent, too - it's not merely about high-powered psychics doing battle.

There's also a companion artbook called "Club Akira", which is worth a look for those who are interested in looking behind the scenes of a manga production or in Akira in particular - it discusses such aspects of manga such as various aspects of art design, including Otomo's discussion on why alternate panels didn't work as he intended, the process of "flipping" an anime, covers that weren't included in the US collected editions, various merchandises and a bunch of other interesting things.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ptolemy: Oh, and the notes for Naoki Urasawa in the U.S. edition of 20CB or Pluto say he liked Akira too.

If you go back to one of Urasawa's earliest ventures, illustrating Pineapple Army, his style back then essentially was Otomo's. Whether that's because Urasawa, with no professional artistic training, was aping someone else's style because he hadn't yet come up with his own or because it was just the art style people wanted back then I leave up to the reader. But it does let you know how much Domu and Akira affected manga at the time in clear black and white.

I love the Akira manga. The anime... I think was the best you could do if you wanted to fit it into one movie. What's more, the series hadn't quite finished yet. Basically the ending of the manga was slapped on at about the midpoint of the manga, which unfortunately cuts out a lot of the explanations about what's going on and the evolution of characters like Kaneda and the Colonel into sympathetic heroes.

But the sets! Wow! I refuse to call them backgrounds. Otomo constructed sets for Akira, and his characters return to them both in part one and then again as destroyed relics in part two -- and they are clearly the same places. Characters inhabit these sets, they don't just stand in front of backgrounds. It's amazing and I've never seen anyone else do anything quite like it in comic books.
Ahiru77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
Akira & Dragon Ball are inspiration rivals. Laughing

Akira's cities and backgrounds.
+
Dragon Ball Z's characters.
=
Ultimate artistic brilliance.

Trump, make it happen! Cool
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I love the Akira manga. The anime... I think was the best you could do if you wanted to fit it into one movie. What's more, the series hadn't quite finished yet. Basically the ending of the manga was slapped on at about the midpoint of the manga, which unfortunately cuts out a lot of the explanations about what's going on and the evolution of characters like Kaneda and the Colonel into sympathetic heroes.

Both are great entertainment for their respective mediums. Anime Akira is basically a good old fashioned monster movie. Some mumbo jumbo science followed by a really pissed off monster teen tearing into the city, stuff blows up, and the monster is destroyed (or something!). The manga is more of a "real" science fiction story with a larger scope, though it's not like the manga Akira is all that "deep" either.

First and foremost, Akira is a slam bang action showcase unfurling one jaw dropping set piece after another, and both the anime and manga succeed wonderfully on those fronts.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
The only Akira-inspired manga I don't like is Banana Fish, and no, not because of the gay thing. My problem is the f***er is absolutely horrible at suspense and mystery, compared to its namesake. They friggin' summarize everything right off the bat, which makes it all anti-climactic. Plus, the violence just seems badly executed and awful at whipping up tension.

vash:
Quote:
What's more, the series hadn't quite finished yet.

From what I heard, Otomo actually re-wrote the ending in TPB form, and it's actually different from its run in the magazine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3