• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Announce New License at Katsucon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
despite the success of DBZ in the West, Shueisha chose 4Kids over FUNimation as distributers of One Piece. Why escapes me, though;

Why does 4Kids land any property? My bet is they just shelled out the money for it, they're bigger than most all the other companies that would be interested in that kind fo series, and therefore capable of outbidding the likes of Funi or ADV.
Keroude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
arxane wrote:
My guess (and hope): "Monster". God, I hope so...

I so hope you are right that would be freaking awesome. But I kinda want Geneon to get it don't ask why I just thought that they did a great job with Last Exile. Just the fact that Monster is coming stateside, is enough to make me all gitty.
Although FMA movie does make sense it seems early to announce this since the series is not even finish being released in R1. I believe Viz has bleach so it's not that, otherwise I have no idea what it could be. I have not been into any of the show that have been airing this season (other than blood). Air seems like a popular choice, I personally have not seen this show but it does get high marks from everyone I've spoke to about it. Exciting news can't wait till manana.....
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

No the manga of Bleach is licensed and owned by Viz...but 90% of the American manga market is owned by Viz if you look all they have. So yes...it could very well be Bleach...
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
does anyone know the chance of air being the anime i heard that it costs a whole lot to bring it to america?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
Since the end of the FMA series is coming up (it should end around November, I believe) it would make sense for them to announce the movie.

While I would love to hear Funi announce the rights to Bleach, I just don't see it happening, unless Viz decided they had enough on their plate with Inu Yasha and Naruto.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Since the end of the FMA series is coming up (it should end around November, I believe) it would make sense for them to announce the movie.

While I would love to hear Funi announce the rights to Bleach, I just don't see it happening, unless Viz decided they had enough on their plate with Inu Yasha, DBZ uncuts and movies, and Naruto.

Uh... Viz doesn't release DBZ episodes or movies. Funimation does.

Viz does, however, release the DBZ manga.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:12 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping it's Honey and Clover!

Monster would be even better, but I'd consider that a blockbuster. >>
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

While I would love to hear Funi announce the rights to Bleach, I just don't see it happening, unless Viz decided they had enough on their plate with Inu Yasha, DBZ uncuts and movies, and Naruto.

Uh... Viz doesn't release DBZ episodes or movies. Funimation does.

Viz does, however, release the DBZ manga.

D'oh! You're right. I was getting mixed up because I was talking about both.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
It could be the Fullmetal Alchemist movie, at UshiCon, Funimation said an announcement would be made regarding FMA in 4 weeks. So it fits the time table.

It could also be Black Cat.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
FMA seems most likely. Between the prior announcement to excpect something regarding FMA and the fact that the series has ended (or is near ending) on TV and the DVDs will all be out by the end of the year, it makes perfect sense.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
now that i think about it... no one has Mushishi yet either.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
I really don't see Funi picking up Mushishi though, since it's not in the teen-oriented/action-adventure line of things that they normally get.

Unless you're just casually mentioning that no one's picked up Mushishi, in which case you'd be right. Neutral And even then, with the anime market the way it is, you'd be hard pressed to find a distributor that wants to pick up a series with no spunky teenage protagonist, no magic, no robots, no space travel, no hot girls, i.e. none of the stuff that sells in domestic anime right now.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
Well, FUNI has been going outside their typical (read: action/adventure shonen) licenses lately. For example, they've done Kodocha and Moon Phase and have just licensed Crayon Shin-chan.
GHDpro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
I think all of the anime named in that C&D letter have been announced by now, actually.

Assuming you shouldn't consider the C&D letter as the official announcement,
then out of the 3 titles mentioned in the C&D letters only Tsubasa Chronicle
has been announced so far.

My guess (which also fits the description in arxane's post) therefore is Solty Rei
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:50 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Well, FUNI has been going outside their typical (read: action/adventure shonen) licenses lately. For example, they've done Kodocha and Moon Phase and have just licensed Crayon Shin-chan.

This is true, and it's worth remembering that one of their older properties is the shoujo series Fruits Basket...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:07 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
yeah that's also a possibly, but it's not really their style.

"Air" is another possibility

Air? That would really surprise me. In a good way though. I don't think it's going to be Air though (with the insane licensing fee I've heard of). My guess is also Monster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5