• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation news from Katsucon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I don't know who owns Air

Kyoto Animation, but VisualArt's / Key still has the right to speak over the issue.

I thought you were no longer a newbie who didn't know how to use the Encyclopedia, biliano.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
Karala wrote:
Rumbling Hearts?! What? What kind of name is that? Why would the Japanese pick that over something about An Eternity That You've Wished For?

Why would the Japanese pick a title that has "Neon" where "Neo" should go?
Crucifix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
Funimation really hit my soft spot this time with KGNE, I am hoping for an uncut version and good looking artbox, I'll buy them when all 3 volumes come out with artbox of course. I hope this starts a trend of licensing animes for more mature audiences, next on my anime-to-be-licensed wishlist would be FMP TSR and Honey & Clover.

Is it just me or Funimation is getting better at picking animes they license?

Cool
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

There are no absolutes that any title will get licensed. Chronololgical order is no excuse for passing up on Air.

While KgNE is a good title, Air TV is the superior title in the romantic drama and tragedy category with a more intricate plot, amazing artwork and an unresolved ending. It also appeals to a wider audience imo. It had a theatrical movie and an OVA. The soundtrack is awesome! It also has the advantage of being a more recent title.

All aspects of its TV release were just stellar. Lia's (singer for OP and ED songs) concert for this title was also amazing.

Anyway that's why I'm disappointed that Air got passed over for KgNE.

There are no absolutes that any title will be licensed? So do you think that something like Bleach is going to sit on the shelves for 3 years before they bring it over?

I also have AIR as one of my favorite anime, but I can't see how it was "passed up" in favor of KgNE--just because we group these shows together in the "sad/dramatic/dating-game-based 12-14 episode short series" category doesn't mean that companies see it the same way, what with the different licensors & costs.

Granted, I like AIR, but I have to ask the question: Where's all the romance? In the first arc, spoiler[Yukito is exploring the town and meeting these girls, but not showing any "love" feelings for them...] In the second arc, spoiler[we have Ryuuya playing protector for Kanna, but not really "loving" her; I guess Uraha does say, "Please make a child--I will offer my body as assistance..."] real romantic Rolling Eyes And in the third arc, spoiler[Yukito, expressing some sort of affection/protective instinct over Misuzu, becomes the crow and leaves the story to end with Haruko and Misuzu's mother-daughter relationship.] I'm not trying to slam AIR or anyone who likes it, but it's not exactly a romance. More of a super moemoe mother-daughter/family relationships show. (No, not incest, in case you haven't seen it.)

Add to that the convoluted/confusing plotlines (plus the very dating-game aspect of spoiler[focusing on one girl for a couple of episodes, and then leave them behind], which is something many people criticize about AIR), and the fact that it carries a high culture barrier (when they have 2 pages of TL notes at the beginning of a couple episodes, you know it's dense), and I can see why they'd want a more conventional romance storyline like KgNE. But still, I guess this announcement shows that there might be a chance someday for these sorts of shows. Maybe a little less for Kanon, but we're free to dream. . .
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
Double Post Embarassed

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote
I think I woke up every one in the house with my OMG!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:26 am Reply with quote
(There's no way I would quote something that long.)

@Zalis116:
I'm not going to elaborate on the romance in Air and spoil it for everyone. It's pretty obvious in both timelines and all arcs, granted alittle one-sided in the first arc. It is extremely obvious in the movie (TV is better than movie imo). So everyone, watch it for yourselves and decide on your own.

Air's plot is complicated, but not impossible to understand. It's source is an ero-visual novel, after all. Gankutsuou is more complicated than this title, and it's being released.

spoiler[The problems that those girls in the present day timeline had was tied into the overall plot. So once the little ends got resolved, the bigger plot could move on. Besides, they all had closure with the last episode.]

Air is not that bad for the cultural references. I understood it well and I'm not from Japan. The translation notes weren't that much. Besides Moon Phase with all its puns in the opening and Japanese humor would be a worse one for licensing if cultural references were that much of an issue.
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:44 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
and the fact that it carries a high culture barrier (when they have 2 pages of TL notes at the beginning of a couple episodes, you know it's dense),

The only difference from many other fansubs is that the notes for AIR came at the beginning rather than being spliced into the video itself. A multitude of notes is not necessarily a deterrent either. You can include liner notes in the DVD package, or include an option for viewing notes during the show itself.

Personally I thought the fansubbers could have cut down on the notes just a bit. I certainly didn't appreciate the comment for one episode that we should have our hankies ready. Perhaps that episode would have been a tearjerker, but it was spoiled since the mood never got a chance to creep up on me.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Why not Air?

Not to be mean or anything, but why are you complaining that one niche dating sim anime was announced before another niche dating sim anime? It's a big step for the genre either way. Perhaps licensing costs were a bigger factor than "spending a little more." Maybe KGnE was cheaper now, since it's been over two years since it's conclusion. And given the rumored costs for Air, maybe it was "just a little more" than "spending the little more" that FUNimation was willing to pay.

Anime companies seem willing to test the waters with h-game anime, since we've gotten licenses for Rumbling Hearts, Fate/Stay Night, To Heart, and Green Green, so I would rather support them for their choices right now than condemn them, in hopes that someone may be willing to take a risk on Air, since I think that series is going to be a harder sell to American consumers than the rumored licensing costs are worth.

I'd also prefer to own KGnE and YamiBou over Air first since it's been longer. I'll take chronology over faster turnaround in this case.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
The Japanese licensor created the English name "Rumbling Hearts" for the English speakiing territories. We are adding a sub-title "Kimi ga Nozomu Eien" to the logo and full name to avoid any confusion.

Lance Heiskell
FUNimation Guy

Any way we can get a reversible cover without the "Rumbling Hearts" name on one side? Wink

Naming a show after one of it's ending themes... It'll stay Kiminozo with me. Anime smile

Still, it's excellent to see it get licensed. Especially since it's not the easiest fansub to get. Everyone and their brother knows where to get Bleach. You have to be a bit more knowledgable to find Kiminozo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Crawly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

Any way we can get a reversible cover without the "Rumbling Hearts" name on one side? Wink

I'm vainly hoping for the same thing, though I expect if we do get reversable covers (so many covers from the JP release!), they'll just be a different picture with the [horrid] English title.

Though I do wonder if anyone involved in choosing that title asked any native English speakers just what it sounded like to them. Cause to me, when I hear Rumbling Hearts, I think of a dime store trashy romance novel involving a ranch hand and the farmer's barely legal daughter. If I didn't know what it was, I wouldn't pick this title up. On the other hand, the more literal tranlation of the title sounds much more refined to me, and catches my interest.

The thing that catches me most about the release, though, is the schedule. I wonder if the 4-5 week thing will work better for Funi than it did for ADV, and if we'll see the same slip in quality control that ADV went through during their transition to a faster schedule. But with the whole thing being done in three months, I'm just going to wait until it's finished and pick it all up at one time. I can only afford to buy one disc every 6 weeks, anyway, cause of the stupid budget I must live on... Crying or Very sad
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
@GoodLuckSaturday: My reasoning is in the post on page 4 and quoted by Zalis116 on this page. Besides, Air is actually in the same category as Fate/stay night and Tsukihime Lunar Legend, i.e ero-visual novels, not just a dating sim. It's also getting to be less of a big deal when an ero-game conversion is released here.

Besides, I think that it's not that hard of a sell. It's got loads of cute girls, action, romance, plot and tragedy. It also has OSTs, models, etc.

So, my philosophy is spend more for the best! Bring the tie-ins over and make a huge profit! (But I can sort of understand not having enough money for this title, since they did license Crayon Shin-chan recently;they have Detective Conan and the Dragonball frachise and their Musicland problem.)
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Im fairly suprised that they've licenced this personally. I wonder how it will turn out.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Karala wrote:
Rumbling Hearts?! What? What kind of name is that? Why would the Japanese pick that over something about An Eternity That You've Wished For?

....did you even READ the thread? Lane Heiskel of Funimation just posted on the same page you posted that Rumbling Hearts was the English name chosen by the Japanese company. It wasn't Funi's idea, blame the Japanese company if you don't like it.

He did, did you? Read it again - I even bolded it for you Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Time for a lesson in Japanese companies and localization:

They're weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8