• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Song of Vice and Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
WHAT AN AWESOME GUEST!

How deeply fascinating... and terribly sad. The Yakuza sound like some kind of state-sponsored crime, and that's troubling; like some open secret.

It sounds like anything related to vice/sin or most forms of Japanese entertainment, it might invariably be involved in, or support organized crime.

Best Wishes to Japan's "Elliot Ness."

What a cancer... TIME TO NUT UP, JAPAN!

PS. David Tennant was THE BOSS of all Doctors--don't like the new guy much.

PSS. The horrific Cartels of Mexico are known to loan or give money (among other things) to the public to win public opinion.

A monster is a monster is a monster.

PSSS. Angelina Jolie... yeah, I'd watch that, too.

Last edited by CareyGrant on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:58 am; edited 2 times in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
That was an amazing interview. The whole time I was wondering just how the yakuza has reacted to this man's work, and it was rather disturbing to have him talk about being under police protection and being on a certain level of mutual respect with powerful criminals.

That's actually the least of what he's been through. The "epilogue" chapter of Tokyo Vice is so upsetting that I had to put it down for a few minutes and take a walk. I didn't want to spoil the book, though, or bring down the mood of what was otherwise a fun conversation.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
AMAZING guest guys. I loved Tokyo Vice (in the...it moved me? Sense. Not in the "it was entertaining" sense. I realize it was non-fiction, and that events in it are real and horrific), and it was great to hear an interview with the author. Thanks.

jsevakis wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
That was an amazing interview. The whole time I was wondering just how the yakuza has reacted to this man's work, and it was rather disturbing to have him talk about being under police protection and being on a certain level of mutual respect with powerful criminals.

That's actually the least of what he's been through. The "epilogue" chapter of Tokyo Vice is so upsetting that I had to put it down for a few minutes and take a walk. I didn't want to spoil the book, though, or bring down the mood of what was otherwise a fun conversation.

I'd imagine that it is pretty impossible to bring that kind of thing up to someone in person (or on the phone). I certainly couldn't have worked my way around to doing it, and I have no idea how TV news anchors manage it without absolutely losing it to emotion.

I also had to put the book down for a while a few times while reading. If it were me, my family would be in a bunker, and I'd be manning some sort of lookout post on the surface. I'd be afraid to walk down the street.

Last edited by captainbanana on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
I think I'll have to check out Tokyo Vice. All I "know" of yakuza is either via BL manga where, assuming they're not the villain, they're just misunderstood and are actually totally fond of each others' hot, buff, tattooed company Laughing; or J-Dramas where, again, assuming they're not the villain, they're just misunderstood and are actually loveable loyal goofballs whom you'd love to have at your back (see Nagase Tomoya in My Boss My Hero and Tiger & Dragon, for example). By which I mean to say, I have no clue as to the reality of the situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Markerlight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:17 am Reply with quote
Terrific interview, and definitely one of your best shows. I've seen Jake Adelstein inteviewed on australian TV before, and I've been meaning to get his book ever since. No more delaying, book ordered!
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
As someone who walked into a borders and unflinchingly dropped 26 USD on a hardcover edition I feel it's fair to say that my friends and I were somewhat underwhelmed by Tokyo Vice. I think novels, true crime books, and academic monographs are probably great overlooked resources for certain kinds of cultural information that could only otherwise be acquired first hand. It seems to me that the reason TV has gotten coverage in the fan press is the obvious fact that interest in anime or games often expands into a more general interest in Japan. At least that's where I was coming from. And viewed through that prism, while I think it's a record of some impressive achievements TV (imho) didn't deliver a lot of the finer details I was hoping for. As an alternative I might check out "Secrets, sex, and spectacle: the rules of scandal in Japan and the United States" by Mark West.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
After hearing this ANNcast about how yakuza represent themselves as humanitarian organizations and how they've been involved in tsunami relief, I'm left wondering how many charitable donations ended up in yakuza coffers because people didn't realize to whom they were actually donating.

I'm not questioning every organization. I feel reasonably confident that many organizations, including the Japanese Red Cross, are legitimate.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
If you like anime, I just don't see how you wouldn't like Doctor Who. Start at 2005 with the new series' and watch from there. Give it a chance, don't hate it before you even give it a shot.

Just because one person likes X doesn't mean they will like Y.

Anyway, I think Dr. Who's (the 2005+ series, not going to bother with the older ones) okay. Some of the serious episodes are engaging, but then others are just too predictable. It can be funny at times, but nowhere near as funny as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Monty Python. And admittedly, the "low" production qualities can take me out of the moment sometimes. The fact that my friends chose to have us start watching this series while I had begun watching Battlestar Galactica probably didn't help.

There is a particular Season 4 episode (me and my friends are on Season 2) that I'm looking forward to as it's supposed to be fairly scary from what I've heard.
CAIMERAMAN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
Excellent show! I learned quite a bit from this about the yakuza compared to my past readings of such books like Yakuza: Criminal Underworld by David E. Kaplan. It certainly reminds us that even the most peaceful of countries have some form of social deviance. I hope you guys have him back somewhere down the road. It's always interesting to look at other aspects of a culture.
MBKeaton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Not much to do with anime this week, but a very enlightening guest. At the very least, this podcast worked well as an advertisement for Tokyo Vice, which I'll be picking up in my next B&N stop.
nietzschesass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
For those interested in the yakuza topic, Google "Benjamin Fulford", a sempai of Jake Adelstein.

Last edited by nietzschesass on Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
nietzschesass wrote:
For those interested, Google "Benjamin Fulford", a sempai of Jake Adelstein.

A guy who claimed that America used an Earthquake machine to cause the 9.0 Earthquake? He also claimed that America is going to cause an eruption of Mt. Fuji

Sounds like a nutjob
nietzschesass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Here's Fulford shouting at Yamaguchi-gumi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZROavuaxr4

Fulford and Adelstein both went to Jochi.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
nietzschesass wrote:
For those interested, Google "Benjamin Fulford", a sempai of Jake Adelstein.

A guy who claimed that America used an Earthquake machine to cause the 9.0 Earthquake? He also claimed that America is going to cause an eruption of Mt. Fuji

Sounds like a nutjob

You might as well put Jesse Ventura name is as well he thinks that HAARP caused the earthquake in Japan. I do not think he said anything about Mt. Fuji.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Interesting stuff. I had no idea that the Yakuza are so entrenched in Japanese society.

Yeah unlike a certain SJ manga (just saying. I like it, but it's infamous with fujoshi)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3