• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Song of Vice and Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
nietzschesass wrote:
For those interested, Google "Benjamin Fulford", a sempai of Jake Adelstein.

A guy who claimed that America used an Earthquake machine to cause the 9.0 Earthquake? He also claimed that America is going to cause an eruption of Mt. Fuji

Sounds like a nutjob

You might as well put Jesse Ventura name is as well he thinks that HAARP caused the earthquake in Japan. I do not think he said anything about Mt. Fuji.

Here's the video of him claiming that America will cause Mt. Fuji to erupt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGvLXFhs7QI
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Okay, guys, enough Benjamin Fulford stuff. Amusing though he is, he really has almost nothing to do with our guest this week.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
That was an amazing interview. The whole time I was wondering just how the yakuza has reacted to this man's work, and it was rather disturbing to have him talk about being under police protection and being on a certain level of mutual respect with powerful criminals.

That's actually the least of what he's been through. The "epilogue" chapter of Tokyo Vice is so upsetting that I had to put it down for a few minutes and take a walk. I didn't want to spoil the book, though, or bring down the mood of what was otherwise a fun conversation.

You have me rather curious, but just going by the general information discussed, I think I'd have the same reaction. I'm pretty sure I need to give this book a read sometime soon.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Nayu wrote:
Your podcast on Itunes is malformed and cannot be played on the iphone. Sad

I'm not having any problems on mine... Dunno what's wrong.

I rebooted my phone, waited a while and it downloaded and played properly. I don't know why I have such problems with this podcast, but I bet I'm just having id10t errors. Very Happy

BTW: Best podcast so far. Congratulations on having a fantastic guest. I hope you get more of his caliber!
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting, even if it was only very loosely related to manga, I wish you could get more interviews like this from people who've actually lived in Japan.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
Like Eri94, I think 10 minutes of the old Doctor Who, especially for young eyes, my not be what you can judge decades of a show's history on.

If I had a magic ability to watch all of the classic Who in a day, I would, but it's too much, and I'll admit I'm spoiled by the new stuff.

I'm glad Zac show some restraint mentioning Who, because I was really ready to hurl a virtual loogie. Seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying not to post about the Doctor Who discussion in this episode but I can't get myself to listen to this weeks Podcast until I do, so here it goes.

While I thought the Doctor Who cosplaying at Anime Boston was a rather Eh?! moment in convention going, Zac's reaction rubbed me the wrong way. Actually, his comment about non-Anime related things at Anime conventions in general, a few weeks back, had me going :-/ as well, which may be what is bugging me. I guess it comes down to this - while I don't think a convention billing itself as a "Anime Con" should be taken over by non Anime related events, I find Zac's "Fandom purity" viewpoint disturbing. Zac probably doesn't see his view on this as a "Fandom purity" thing but that is kind of what it boils down to in my mind. The idea that fandoms need to be one genre and to allow any cross fandom activities is "diluting" something that makes a certain genre what it is and thus runs the risk of "spoiling" it. My wording here is harsher than I'd like but I can't quite say it any other way. As someone who been active in genre fandoms since the mid 1980s, I've seen this type of mindset all of my adult life and it irks me. It didn't help that the subject matter was Doctor Who and that was my first fandom, either. I remember being rejected by fans of other similar interest fandoms (TOS Trekies from a specific part of the U.S.) because they weren't the current popular thing or in the case of General SF (book) fandom I was flat out told I was "too young" and there was no room for Media fans. The one thing I've taken away from my years in genre fandoms (g*d, almost 30 years, now I'm just feeling old) is that to be "pure" is to mark a fandom with a death sentence. To be exclusive is to exclude and and to exclude means to kill potential future fans from discovering you (General SF fandom is literally dying off of old age, which is what you get when you don't want "young people" involved IMNSHO). So while you don't want the "newbies" to overrun the function, you do need them IMO, even if they aren't dress correctly.

Anyway, my main thoughts after going "Eh?!" to the DW cosplayers at a Anime con was two fold. First thought, there just isn't enough Doctor Who conventions and they needed a place to go. While Doctor Who fandom does have it's conventions, there are less than three major ones left that I can think of (and one of those is really a general media convention last I checked). Second thought was "well what do you expect? It's a LOT easier to cosplay Doctor Who than Anime because if you aren't the prefect body type for a Anime character cosplay." Fan's who cosplay and aren't the right body type for the part are going to get flack from other Anime fans and really it is easier to cosplay David Tennet's Doctor or a Dalek than say Kamina or Yoko from Gurren Lagaan. Remember, Anime fans are always b*tching about other anime fans who are too fat or tall or whatever to be cosplaying a character (I've been known to think it, though I try not to post about it), and this and the fact there aren't that many good costumes out of current shows is leading to this phenomenon isn't helping. Because really, unless your a small cute girl who does Lolicon or want to do a Helalia character, you're not going to be cosplay anime without getting heckled.

Anyway, I'll leave this with a personal story on this subject. Back in 1997 or 98 I was back into Doctor Who fandom for a while and attended a DW con in Chicago (I go in and out of that fandom and haven't really got back in during the new series which is a long, but totally OT, story so I won't go into it here). Doctor Who conventions have always been, as far as I remember, open to anyone in any costume. If you want to costume as a non Doctor Who character, so be it. Which is what led me to discover Trigun. Among the DW characters and random Trek/B5 cosplayers et al, someone showed up as Vash the Stamped and it caught my attention, along with others I was with. Someone in the group asked the person who he was costuming (none of us could place the show) and he told us about the series (BTW, this guy had a very good costume right down to custom glasses). This re-piqued my interest in Anime and I feel is notable reason I ended up finally getting in to Anime as much as I did. That free advertising got at least one more person into Anime and it could work with others like the Steampunkers and the Doctor Who fans. So while you run a potential that it might take some Anime fans into their fandoms, it's usually a two way street and I don't see one fandom taking over the other (though I never say never - however, if it happened it would be quite a shake up in how it's been working up until now).
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I bought Tokyo Vice in hardcover when it first came out. It's a great read and I highly recommend it.

This was a fantastic interview with Jake Adelstein. I didn't realize he was living in Tokyo again. From the ending of Tokyo Vice, my impression was that he had moved back to the U.S. with his family. Guess he can't keep away from the culture that still fascinates him.

Thanks for this interview.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3