Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Silver Spoon Episodes 1 - 6 Streaming


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 5321
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I found this show to be a surprising gem of the season. I haven't read the manga yet but I do like the realism of the show as well as the themes of agriculture related to farm animals.

Eh, I'm not sure where the plot is going right now but hoping for the best. Oh and I do smell a little romance in the air as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 14134
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Who would ride a horse in a short skirt?


Not sure, but God bless 'em for trying.

Silver Spoon answers the question: can you have an entertaining series even when there is no real conflict? The answer is yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
hooliganj



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Posts: 66
Location: Longhorn Central

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Who would ride a horse in a short skirt?

That bugged me, too. In the episodes and in the manga, Mikage always wears pants or at some kind of clothes more appropriate for riding. But in the opening sequence they have her in the school uniform's skirt for some reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pachy_boy



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 735

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...and the show certainly deserves credit for not making a joke of overweight character Tamako

You really think so? Having sampled the first episode, I was initially intrigued that they had an overweight girl as part of the cast because you just don't see that too often in anime. But it seems like her being there as the fat girl was a joke by itself. She's there to have a consistently unattractive sour look on her face, gets blown by the wind for the purpose of astounding the guys, literally doesn't get much more screen time than those moments, and I recall an image of her in the OP where she's in a bikini, and the obvious reaction is probably supposed to be, "Eww, fat girl in a bikini, and yet so hilarious because of that!" Then again, I've only seen the first episode so far, does it lighten up on that and treat her like an actual character later?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SahgoDN



Joined: 09 Mar 2013
Posts: 50

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
...and the show certainly deserves credit for not making a joke of overweight character Tamako

You really think so? Having sampled the first episode, I was initially intrigued that they had an overweight girl as part of the cast because you just don't see that too often in anime. But it seems like her being there as the fat girl was a joke by itself. She's there to have a consistently unattractive sour look on her face, gets blown by the wind for the purpose of astounding the guys, literally doesn't get much more screen time than those moments, and I recall an image of her in the OP where she's in a bikini, and the obvious reaction is probably supposed to be, "Eww, fat girl in a bikini, and yet so hilarious because of that!" Then again, I've only seen the first episode so far, does it lighten up on that and treat her like an actual character later?


Yeah, I disagree on that too. I mean, I do think Tamako is probably better represented than other overweight characters, but she is the butt of some fat jokes here and there (I think there's one in the second episode or so when characters mention that she "would be pretty if you got rid of the excess" or something).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sainta



Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 932

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
...and the show certainly deserves credit for not making a joke of overweight character Tamako

You really think so? Having sampled the first episode, I was initially intrigued that they had an overweight girl as part of the cast because you just don't see that too often in anime. But it seems like her being there as the fat girl was a joke by itself. She's there to have a consistently unattractive sour look on her face, gets blown by the wind for the purpose of astounding the guys, literally doesn't get much more screen time than those moments, and I recall an image of her in the OP where she's in a bikini, and the obvious reaction is probably supposed to be, "Eww, fat girl in a bikini, and yet so hilarious because of that!" Then again, I've only seen the first episode so far, does it lighten up on that and treat her like an actual character later?


From what I've read the girl is far from being a joke. She is quite mature but she can overwhelming spoiler[like when she punched Hachiken as fast as possible although he asked her due to his guilt.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 773
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I guess there might be more denigration of Tamako than I thought, but I saw her as presented more as a tough character than the butt of fat jokes. Yes, there is that moment in episode two, but for the most part she's the go-getter with big ambitions, and when Tokiwa tricks her in episode five, it was more because she was a girl and less a jab at her size.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 14134
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Bottom line is there is WAY less a deal made about her size than I assumed there would be. By anime standards, her treatment is pretty evolved (I've only seen eppies 1 thru 5).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10205

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
Quote:
Who would ride a horse in a short skirt?

That bugged me, too. In the episodes and in the manga, Mikage always wears pants or at some kind of clothes more appropriate for riding. But in the opening sequence they have her in the school uniform's skirt for some reason.


Someone who's never ridden a horse before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bemused Bohemian
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 248
Location: central Mizzou (Moral Oralville)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
This series has done a credible job depicting farm life. Most of the characters and situations are believable. I guess I didn't pick up on the PC of the rubenesque female student in this group. She strikes me as a go-getter, ambitious, goal-driven personality content with who she is and can handle any circumstance thrown her way come hell or high water. Each student in this series from a farm is aware of their circumstance in life and they display a mutual respect and admiration for their peers much like the way rural or ranch life is in real world.

As for the little gal wearing a short skirt while riding, meh. Possibly her underwear gear was appropo for equestrian travel, like bathing suit attire. C'mon, farm gals are quite adept. Cut 'em some slack, you guys.

I'm always amazed at the detail of perception on these boards with regard to what some viewers notice and/or opine in relation to what's going on in the storyline. It can be very entertaining.

That aside, this anime has been a pleasant surprise and I'm happy Crunchyroll had the foresight to get it and offer it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tcdelaney



Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Posts: 119

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying Silver Spoon. Having grown up on a hobby farm, then lived in the big smoke for about 15 years, then moved back out to a rural area, I've regularly been amazed at how little city people know about where their food comes from.

Despite that, I never feel that I'm laughing at Hachiken. He's too sympathetic a character - he's doing his best to accept and fit into this completely different world that he's landed in.

BTW - I've only been on a horse twice. I like horses - just not to ride them - and if they're not working horses then they're just a money pit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thatguy3331



Joined: 18 Feb 2012
Posts: 1118

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Man I need something pleasant to talk abou- Oh! Silver spoon!

Because internet is a ##### at college I've only seen up to episode 3 atm, but I've been enjoying this series, regardless of the fact that this is more based in reality I can really tell that Arakawa wrote this(surprisingly I haven't read much of the manga for a change) and no it's not just because of the character designs. The way she seems to write characters going though life is both enjoyable and believable, which for a slice of life is a must. I hope to get caught up with this soon...and then space bros...good GOD I have alot of work to do with that...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jymmy



Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Posts: 749

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I keep enjoying this show more than I think it will. When I notice the ending theme in the background I feel disappointed. Definitely one of the best shows of the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GokuMew2



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 1502
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I've been excited for this series ever since its anime announcement. Definitely one of the highlights of my week.

There will be a joke a little later about Tamako's size, but I thought it was quite amusing. I mean, they all know Tamako is larger than them but they don't really poke fun at her in a mean way or anything, so I never really thought much about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tanteikingdomkey



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 1416

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
hooliganj wrote:
Quote:
Who would ride a horse in a short skirt?

That bugged me, too. In the episodes and in the manga, Mikage always wears pants or at some kind of clothes more appropriate for riding. But in the opening sequence they have her in the school uniform's skirt for some reason.


Someone who's never ridden a horse before.

I have had an instructor who had us do a lesson in shorts in order to help us develop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group